Reload this Page >

No fixed address and wanting a vehicle

Wikiposts

No fixed address and wanting a vehicle

Old Apr 15th 2013, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

snowgo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No fixed address and wanting a vehicle

Ive put the question out but have no clear answer yet. Could anyone please advise on this issue.

I arrive in Calgary june 13 with my family. This is round 2 of moving to canada.

We will be renting a motorhome for the first week or two. We intend to buy a motorhome or travel trailer and suv.

No residential address for the insurers to focus on!
No fixed abode!

How do we stay legal ? UPS give a street address which would probably work for the insurance , although not cool if in an accident and they find out you don't live at given address. Licence exchange could be held off for 3-6 months.

We do plan on getting a rental but not for at least 3 months. I have to be sure the wage can support a family and a house.

Any advice would be appreciated .
Old Apr 15th 2013, 9:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No fixed address and wanting a vehicle

Are you going to be on work permits or landed as PRs?
With no fixed abode you will have to show them some form of legal status in Canada and hope they will take this into consideration or they will be requiring a hefty deposit or some sort of security.
Good luck with this.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Are you going to be on work permits or landed as PRs?
With no fixed abode you will have to show them some form of legal status in Canada and hope they will take this into consideration or they will be requiring a hefty deposit or some sort of security.
Good luck with this.
We have PR status.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowgo
We have PR status.
You will need to show them the copy of your COPR form. If you owned this type of business and someone came in with no fixed address what would you do.
If renting from one of the major rental agencies they may require a larger deposit.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 9:53 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Ive put the question out but have no clear answer yet. Could anyone please advise on this issue.

I arrive in Calgary june 13 with my family. This is round 2 of moving to canada.

We will be renting a motorhome for the first week or two. We intend to buy a motorhome or travel trailer and suv.

No fixed abode!

How do we stay legal ? UPS give a street address which would probably work for the insurance , although not cool if in an accident and they find out you don't live at given address. Licence exchange could be held off for 3-6 months.

We do plan on getting a rental but not for at least 3 months. I have to be sure the wage can support a family and a house.

Can you not rent an RV the same way as someone who was coming to Canada on holiday would? You could rent it in advance from the UK and pay with Visa, thus reducing your CDW charges too.

Just a thought.

Old Apr 15th 2013, 1:31 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

No fixed abode!

If you are moving here permanently you only have 90 days to exchange your licence (in BC anyway).
Old Apr 15th 2013, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by siouxie
Can you not rent an RV the same way as someone who was coming to Canada on holiday would? You could rent it in advance from the UK and pay with Visa, thus reducing your CDW charges too.

Just a thought.

Hi thanks for your comment. We have been through through cycle before with leaving the UK permanently picking up an RV on a 1 month hire. Purchasing a truck and trailer before the return date. But the key to the previous success was that we had paid a deposit on a house. Therefore even though we were on wheels for 3 months before we could move in a residential address was present and I guess that was enough for no questions to be asked.

This will be a frugal trip with no home purchase until net income is sufficient to cope with the reality of a mortgage and other normal costs.

We have lost too much of our hard earned during the recession.

I am thinking perhaps advertising for the partial rent of a room for the purpose of a residential address just to get paperwork on line if no other options exist ,or a short term let just to get started.