Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

No experience driver

No experience driver

Old Jul 27th 2014, 11:45 am
Just Joined

Jmattu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No experience driver

Hi all my name is Jas. my wife and I have made the decision of wanting to move to Canada specifically bc Surrey or abbotsford with a 3 year old and another one due any day now. I am 30 year old and have mainly retail manager experience, also briefly done some courier work in van. My wife is currently training to be a teaching assistant.

After a bit of research it looks like the easiest way to emigrate is for me to become a truck driver and get an lmo then apply for pr after 9 months.

We will be selling our business (post office) and using the funds to possibly purchase a house.

Can anyone give me any advice on how I would get a truck driving job with no experience? Or if there is any other possible route for us to get to Canada?

Thanks to everyone in advance!

Also forgot to mention moving from uk

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 27th 2014 at 3:21 pm. Reason: Posts merged, if you think of something you want to add just after posting, just use the 'edit' button, thx.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: No experience driver

So a truck driver can be sponsored for a visa? And you aren't a truck driver and have no truck driver license or experience?
Old Jul 27th 2014, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No Experience Class 1 driver

Why Surrey or Abbotsford ?
Old Jul 27th 2014, 3:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm confused as to how you think that would be your easiest route if you'd have to train as a driver, get a couple of years experience, then go through the LMIA/visa process? If you want to retrain as something and wait a few years before moving, then I'd choose a skilled trade personally as that will make it much easier for you to get PR and will mean your wife can work too.

If you want to move sooner, then wouldn't it make more sense to try and get a job offer now based on your actual experience? Or to just go over on an IEC as you're aged under 31? Depending on when you turn 31 of course.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 3:35 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jmattu
Can anyone give me any advice on how I would get a truck driving job with no experience?
Sorry to dampen your enthusiasm, truck license with no experience has next to no chance to get a job in Canada. The shortage is for experienced truck drivers. The alternative is to get a truck license (class 1), drive where you are for 2+years and get experience than look for a job here.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 11:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
So a truck driver can be sponsored for a visa? And you aren't a truck driver and have no truck driver license or experience?
Hi the theory was to get a class 1 licence in canada, then try and apply for a truck driving job with a company that has lmo waiting.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 11:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by neilg14
Why Surrey or Abbotsford ?
We visited the two and felt the transition would be alot easier. Plus driving over to the US would be easier. Weather is mild, couldnt deal with extreme winters.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 11:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'm confused as to how you think that would be your easiest route if you'd have to train as a driver, get a couple of years experience, then go through the LMIA/visa process? If you want to retrain as something and wait a few years before moving, then I'd choose a skilled trade personally as that will make it much easier for you to get PR and will mean your wife can work too.

If you want to move sooner, then wouldn't it make more sense to try and get a job offer now based on your actual experience? Or to just go over on an IEC as you're aged under 31? Depending on when you turn 31 of course.
My mistake i thought you could work as a driver then after 9 months apply. Ideally would prefer not to work drive trucks but as i previously thought this option made sense.

I am currently a postmaster or retail manager however i dont think that i can apply for jobs in canada as a postmaster or retail manager as there would be no lmo for that position. Please again correct me if im wrong.

In regards to IEC im sure you only have the option of working in canada and not moving there. Turn 31 in december
Old Jul 28th 2014, 11:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Aviator
Sorry to dampen your enthusiasm, truck license with no experience has next to no chance to get a job in Canada. The shortage is for experienced truck drivers. The alternative is to get a truck license (class 1), drive where you are for 2+years and get experience than look for a job here.
That was another option of working here for 2 years then applying the only thing is that my daughter starts school next year i ideally did not want to take her out after a year.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 2:23 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

That was another option of working here for 2 years then applying the only thing is that my daughter starts school next year i ideally did not want to take her out after a year.
With a new license here work would not be easy to come by for a Canadian. A catch 22, trucking companies want minimum 2 years experience. I seriously doubt any company would hire a new driver from overseas. The reason they are looking overseas is for experienced drivers not just bodies to fill seats.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

At that young an age, it shouldn't be an issue really anytime in the next 5 years or so. Some would say longer than that too
Old Jul 28th 2014, 6:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

My mistake i thought you could work as a driver then after 9 months apply.
Yes, but you'd need to get a work permit in the first place, and tbh that's highly unlikely with no experience. I just can't see any company paying thousands of dollars to hire somebody with no experience at all.

I am currently a postmaster or retail manager however i dont think that i can apply for jobs in Canada as a postmaster or retail manager as there would be no lmo for that position. Please again correct me if im wrong.
But again, there'd be no LMIA for a truck driver with no experience either.

In regards to IEC im sure you only have the option of working in canada and not moving there. Turn 31 in december
Sort of correct, it is only a work permit, but with the advantage of not needing a LMIA and being an open work permit (unlike a normal TWP, where you'd be tied to that employer). But just as with a normal work permit, there's nothing to stop you applying for PR. For most, it's the quickest/easiest route to Canada, and most IEC participants on the forum apply for PR and end up staying permanently.

But it's probably a moot point as it looks like you've missed the boat on an IEC, unless by any chance your birthday is later in Dec and the 2015 prog opens in early Dec!

HTH, good luck.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 6:56 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Drivers without experience have a hell of a time finding jobs. Even experienced drivers are hardly coining it in, profit margins are thin on the mileage rates paid, plus you are very likely to end up spending a lot of time away from home which is not exactly great for the kids. Teaching assistant is not exactly well paid either.

Under the circumstances Id try and make my life in the UK more attractive... you already have a headstart on the weather.

Last edited by iaink; Jul 28th 2014 at 7:16 pm.