No Canada

Old Jan 30th 2009, 9:23 pm
I'm not a Canadian Idiot!

Devilish Dee is just really niceDevilish Dee is just really niceDevilish Dee is just really niceDevilish Dee is just really niceDevilish Dee is just really niceDevilish Dee is just really niceDevilish Dee is just really niceDevilish Dee is just really niceDevilish Dee is just really niceDevilish Dee is just really nice
Default Re: No Canada

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Its called progress,
its the few that lead the change, the rest will follow in time
progress right whatever you say and how is taking away the history of Canada progress hmmmmmmm
Old Jan 30th 2009, 9:32 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Devilish Dee
progress right whatever you say and how is taking away the history of Canada progress hmmmmmmm
The history will always remain

School children singing a national anthem harks back to the old days of indoctrinated nationalism of the 30's and 40's
We should use our schools to teach our children a about the country they live in so they understand it good and bad, and how it fits with the rest of the world
Have our children singing some out of date song in school does nothing educationally and only stands to link its self to out of date practises of an older world that in its self was a breeding ground for intolerance
Old Jan 30th 2009, 9:43 pm
I'm not a Canadian Idiot!

Devilish Dee is just really niceDevilish Dee is just really niceDevilish Dee is just really niceDevilish Dee is just really niceDevilish Dee is just really niceDevilish Dee is just really niceDevilish Dee is just really niceDevilish Dee is just really niceDevilish Dee is just really niceDevilish Dee is just really nice

Originally Posted by MikeUK
The history will always remain

School children singing a national anthem harks back to the old days of indoctrinated nationalism of the 30's and 40's
We should use our schools to teach our children a about the country they live in so they understand it good and bad, and how it fits with the rest of the world
Have our children singing some out of date song in school does nothing educationally and only stands to link its self to out of date practises of an older world that in its self was a breeding ground for intolerance

If Canada is indeed a breeding ground for intolerance why is it that everyone seems to want to move here, and we let them??

Did you ever sing a anthem of any kind when you went to school? I did , my parents did, grandparents etc etc. But also my kids did however, they also sang another song that talks about the diversity in Canada due to the fact that they attended a very multi cultural school....why not put both in tandem why take it out totally?
Old Jan 30th 2009, 9:57 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

If we moved to most other countries and didn't like the way they did something, would they change it for us, or would they laugh at us?

I doubt it very much.

I think the assumption that it's immigrants who complained are because there is a history of immigrants trying to change Canada to suit their values, instead of them remembering why they chose Canada. If they wanted things the same as they were back home, why move?

On the radio this afternoon, the host Charles Adler was talking about the school, and someone put forward the possibility of people objecting to the singing of O Canada because it contains the word, God.

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Jan 30th 2009 at 10:01 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 10:34 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bodgerx
Maybe they did and thought that Canada allowed freedom of religion and the right to politely abstain from a patriotic act.
If that is the case, then the school should of dealt with the matter different
To HWP - i can say it as it is as i have read more than what CH had quoted, the school decided due to these two immagrate familys that they would stop the playing of the o canada .............

If this is the case and it was just 2 familys, then why was it not taken to all the familys that attended, why is there an out cry now from the public in the area..................erm because it was a minor decision, one i think they will regret.....

This is canada FFS that is what is done, they play O Canada, everything stops and everyone has pride, i don't agree with everything that they do, but hey there policys make them who they are...then again i am not trying to bring to bring the british policys here......mini britain or what...............my god i would be off
Old Jan 30th 2009, 11:25 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
On the radio this afternoon, the host Charles Adler was talking about the school, and someone put forward the possibility of people objecting to the singing of O Canada because it contains the word, God.
Well I'm not in favour of imaginary people and their related dogmas in schools either
Well expect under broad discussions concerning other imaginary people related dogmas and their relationship to modern society
I think that sort of thing belongs either at home or in higher levels of study that can be chosen and not something part of a mandated curriculum
(unless its a non state funded religious school)
Old Jan 31st 2009, 12:24 am
Banned

pendleside wizard will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by clynnog
At my kids school it is sung every day over the PA (tannoy) in both official languages via a CD.
yep - we have the same here

Don't turn Canada into another UK.....FFS we left all that behind
They came here knowing what was in store and singing O Canada is part of that, if you don't like it, then leave or there is home schooling
Old Jan 31st 2009, 12:57 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clynnog
At my kids school it is sung every day over the PA (tannoy) in both official languages via a CD.
I asked "At school did you sing Oh Canada every day?". Response "Huh? I didn't go to school in Iraq". The idea was as alien to my child, now 27, as to me.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

A few people in this discussion have asserted that the parents of these children have complained.
On the CBC news they said that the descision to stop singing the anthem came NOT because the parents complained. In fact the parents havn't complained. It was because it was inconvenient to seperate the children who's parents had requested that their children not be included.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 2:16 am
hwp
BE Enthusiast

hwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Devilish Dee
I was born and raised in Canada, we have always at least sang O Canada and I don think it is torture at all. DO they not sing any kind of anthem anywhere else in the world??

You can disagree with soldiers being anywhere in the world how or why should that affect the National Anthem of any Country??

I believe everyone has the right to their own beliefs and they should be respected but again WHY should the Canadian National Anthem be taken out of Canadian schools??? We are in Canada are we not???? No matter where we came from or where we go each country has it's own flag and anthem why should they be changed because a few don't believe in them???:curse:

I was born and raised in Canada as well. Like I've said already, I don't ever remember having to sing 'Oh Canada' beyond assemblies and what not and I'm 41 so my experience is not recent and reflects many other Canadian's experience of the anthem at school.

Has it not ever occurred to you that there are Canadians in Canada who strongly disagree and are sickened with a lot of federal history, politics and policies and feel that having their children subjugated to the national-Canucky-feel-up-song on a daily basis is just plain wrong?

And 'Oh Canada' has not been 'banned' or 'forced out of schools' - that's a rather histrionic Fox News sort of way of interpreting what has been reported in more balanced media. What has been done is the elimination of having the daily anthem. It is still used during assemblies, etc.... which, in my experience, was the norm.

If people want their kid to sing the anthem daily, then do it at home... and stop wasting the other kids' time.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 2:31 am
hwp
BE Enthusiast

hwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to behold

I think the assumption that it's immigrants who complained are because there is a history of immigrants trying to change Canada to suit their values, instead of them remembering why they chose Canada.
Like?

Well, of course. That is one reason I don't sing the anthem (at least not sing it seriously). As an atheist, I find the lyrics creepy... and if I had a sprog, no way on earth would I want them to have to deal with that on a daily basis.

And besides... it's a bad song... it's dull. IMO, the below is a much better anthem... especially for kids to sing daily and even the lyrics are cool...

"Rah! Vive le Canada!
Three cheers Hip, Hip, Hooray!" instill more national pride in me than

"Our home and native land
True patriot love in all thy sons command" - hurl!!!

Anyways, The Centennial Song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18-oRTLIe3I

(English verse):
CA-NA-DA
(One little two little three Canadians)
We love thee
(Now we are twenty million)
CA-NA-DA
(Four little five little six little Provinces)
Proud and free
(Now we are ten and the Territories sea to sea)
(Chorus):
North south east west
There'll be happy times,
Church Bells will ring, ring, ring
It's the hundredth anniversary of
Confederation
Ev'rybody sing together!
(French verse):
CA-NA-DA
(Un petit, deux petits, trois Canadiens)
Notre pays
(Maintenant, nous sommes vingt million)
CA-NA-DA
(Quatre petites, cinq petites, six petites provinces)
Longue vie
(Et nous sommes dix plus les Territoires; Longue vie)
(Second Chorus):
Rah! Vive le Canada!
Three cheers Hip, Hip, Hooray!
Le centenaire,
That's the order of the day
Frère Jacques Frère Jacques
Merilly we roll along
Together all the way