No Canada

Old Jan 30th 2009, 3:19 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default No Canada

O Canada! - Not at Belleisle Elementary school in New Brunswick.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/cbc/09012..._nb_o_canada_1

Singing O Canada at the school every morning has been stopped due to concerns by some parents.

My advice to the school. Tell the concerned parents they're in Canada, deal with it.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 3:44 am
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No Canada

Originally Posted by CaptainHook

Singing O Canada at the school every morning has been stopped due to concerns by some parents.

My advice to the school. Tell the concerned parents they're in Canada, deal with it.
Gawd almighty, I suppose they'll ban the national anthem at citizenship court next.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 3:57 am
hwp
BE Enthusiast

hwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to behold

Are you assuming that the concerned parents are immigrants?

No where in the article does it say that they are. They could be but I get a sense this is more about the people in a small town disagreeing about Canada's participation in Afghanistan, dead soldiers, family feuds and the anthem's lyrics.

I grew up in Canada and I do not ever remember singing 'O Canada' everyday... what kind of hell it that? I support the decision to end the torture if only for the sake of the students' sanity.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Had this school been in some backwater hick town in Quebec I would have shrugged my shoulders and said to myself 'so what else is new? "

After all QC has a few fanatical separatists

But New Brunwick of all places?

STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID
Old Jan 30th 2009, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

What exactly are these parents "concerned" about?
Old Jan 30th 2009, 4:09 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hwp
Are you assuming that the concerned parents are immigrants?
No. Assumption is the mother of all f-up's. To assume makes an A** of U and ME, as the sayings go.

I haven't assumed anything, and it wasn't stated exactly what the concerned parents were concerned about. Let's ban O Canada in every school just in case it offends someone somewhere 10 years from now. We'll ban flying the Maple Leaf too while we're at it, because it's obviously a reminder of all those persecuted by the Federal government in Canada's history.

Where's the Canadian pride?

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Jan 30th 2009 at 4:11 am.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 5:18 am
hwp
BE Enthusiast

hwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to behold

Where's the Canadian pride?
What is Canada?
Old Jan 30th 2009, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fuschiagirl
What exactly are these parents "concerned" about?
Standing and singing a patriotic anthem can be viewed as worship to a government/king/ruler of some kind other than God. I would respect that right of anyone wishing to exclude themselves from it. It seems strange that the whole school has stopped doing it though for the case of an unspecified number.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

RubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike
STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID
Agree whole heartedly - how else can people belong in a place but through the national anthem and other national symbols.

Ruby
Old Jan 30th 2009, 12:28 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by hwp
What is Canada?
What do you think it is?
Old Jan 30th 2009, 12:38 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's quite sad

As immigrants we should have pride in our new country
Old Jan 30th 2009, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

LadyRayden has a brilliant futureLadyRayden has a brilliant futureLadyRayden has a brilliant futureLadyRayden has a brilliant futureLadyRayden has a brilliant futureLadyRayden has a brilliant futureLadyRayden has a brilliant future

Had this school been in some backwater hick town in Quebec I would have shrugged my shoulders and said to myself 'so what else is new? "

After all QC has a few fanatical separatists

But New Brunwick of all places?

I grew up in Montreal and never sang the anthem at school and it didn't make a single difference on who I am. I do not think it is being fanatic either. What's the point, really?
Old Jan 30th 2009, 2:38 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Agree with statement, we have come to this country and adapt, one reason for us is that the people love there country.
We have only been here a few months and my two eldest sing O' Canada with pride, wish that the schools in the uk would do the same
I also liked it at the monster trucks that we went to, everything stopped for O canada, shows pride in the country

For those that don't have the pride, why come here
Even my 4yr old stops and sings
Old Jan 30th 2009, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by moondevil

For those that don't have the pride, why come here
Because they want to better their situation but don't want to compromise their beliefs?
Old Jan 30th 2009, 4:35 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bodgerx
Because they want to better their situation but don't want to compromise their beliefs?
Did they look into the matter before they moved
Did they do a recci
Do they not look at canada and think, wow these people have pride in there country

I am sorry but i will fly the canadian and british flag once i have my own house, yes i will allow my kids to do the canadian life, yes i moved here as i have pride in the uk and also in our new homeland, if this includes singing O' Canada then so be it, its not about compromise of beliefs, if you against the flag, then why move here..................

Yes and i was one that would fly a british flag back in the uk and i will always be british/canadian once we have the right paperwork

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.