Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

NNAS Timelines?

NNAS Timelines?

Old Feb 2nd 2017, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

aja424 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NNAS Timelines?

I have seen on another forum, mainly nurses from the Philippines, India and Nigeria that people have been given a 'not comparable' but the Nursing boards have given them an opportunity to complete a bridging course.
I will be applying to both Alberta and B.C to see what happens.
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

Applied in April 2016.
Work documents were returned twice, but third time accepted.
Uni documents were returned once.
NMC documents accepted first time.

Ready for review on 21/11/16.
Ready for final review 20/1/17.
Report was issued on 1/2/17.

If your Uni and employer get it right first time then the process may not take as long.

Good luck.

Last edited by aja424; Feb 3rd 2017 at 10:50 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

MatteoHV is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

just to share and update on NNAS and after.
After almost 1 and half year got the result, which as expected was non comparable, but as you know does not mean much.
After that i registered with BCRNC, paid the fee, and now there is an assesment that replace the SEC, which is called NCAS.
here you will be assest on a computer base simulation and then in hospital (in my case will be in Vancouver only).
Is not a pass or failed test, only check your knowledge for an eventual course to do and work.
For NNAS you have to call them and push it a bit, i did this way. very frustrating but it worked
Old Feb 6th 2017, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Have you a date for the NCAS yet?
My worry would be having to complete a year long bridging course, as that would mean living on the money that would have been used for a mortgage down payment.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Shelley Bean is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aja424
Have you a date for the NCAS yet?
My worry would be having to complete a year long bridging course, as that would mean living on the money that would have been used for a mortgage down payment.
So, we got the response from CRPNBC - it's likely that as a Psych nurse your result will be the same, more or less.

There is a choice to do the NCAS or a bridging course / further education.

It's all focused on the fact that my husband's course did not include any adult medical / surgical modules. If he feels he has gained enough experience in this area, he can try the NCAS to prove this. He doesn't plan on doing this though as he knows he lacks the knowledge in this area and it would likely be a wasted effort / trip to BC.

So in terms of bridging, they want 225 hours of medical / surgical practise (with accompanying theory) so he's allowed to either choose a module at a university locally or do the John Collins bridging course. The latter involves doing all the theory online and having them oversee 225 practise hours either in the UK or Canada, we're just trying to figure out how that all works. This is a more realistic option because he could do the theory flexibly, whereas enrolling in a module means spending 6 months trying to fit lectures etc round working full time / shift patterns which is impossible. So he'd do the theory easily, but then figuring out how to get those 225 hours completed is a bit of a headache (he'd likely have to quit his job to get a 6 week block of time off).

Details here - https://www.jcollinsconsulting.com/i...chiatric-nurse

So, I hope this alleviates your worries about doing a year long bridging course - I think the year long programme that people have talked about is for adult trained nurses. As a Pysch nurse you should not need to do as much as an Adult trained nurse to get into Canada, and if you use this program it can be mainly be done from the UK.

Our concern at this point is going through allllll of this, and then not finding an employer to sponsor him. It's a real concern as we have a new baby so his time is very precious, and funds are limited. The fact he can't even apply to health match bc until he's gone through this whole programme just makes us nervous. Decisions, decisions.
Old Feb 13th 2017, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Shelley, thank you for the update, much appreciated.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do, that isn't an easy position to be in!
Old Feb 13th 2017, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

Good luck with that, should be worth it in the end as a lot of the BC healthcare providers say that IEN will be considered due to the shortage of nurses.
I made an informal inquiry to one healthcare provider and they say they can only consider IEN nurses if a post has been out for 90 days.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Hi Shelley,

Any progress with your application?

I applied to CRPNBC 2 weeks ago and currently awaiting their verdict.
In terms of needing 225 medical/surgical hours, I had a placement on a Stroke admissions unit equalling 225 hours. Don't know if this could be included and just complete the theory?

To be honest I'm tired of all the waiting and speculating.
Old May 5th 2017, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

Sarahjane88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just got my NNAS report. Not comparable. Absolutely gutted.
Don't lose hope, very rarely do they ever find a comparable result. I was the same as you and had to complete the IENCAP. I found out last week that they are now putting me forward for the NCLEX you can still get there!
Old May 5th 2017, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

CRPNBC have been in touch.
I need to complete 2 modules totalling 300 hours, and then 225 surgical hours and theory.
I will be going ahead, starting with the 2 modules as they can be completed online. Only issue I have is the mark for assignments is 60%,which I wasn't achieving during my nurse training.

Have you been given a date for the NCLEX yet?.
Old May 5th 2017, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

I suppose the good thing is that it is all online! I was terrified I would have to go back and sit an entire degree! I only received the email a few days ago so still need to register with Pearson Vue. I am an adult nurse and trying to register with the CNO so personal experiences will probably differ wildly.
Old May 5th 2017, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

In my Uni the pass mark was 40%, were you the same? I presume 60% will be relational to the difficulty of the module, I'm sure you'd do well.
Old May 5th 2017, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

I studied with the Open University and the pass mark was also 40%. Hopefully it will be like you say, relational to the difficulty.
Old May 9th 2017, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

Shelley Bean is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Shelley,

Any progress with your application?

I applied to CRPNBC 2 weeks ago and currently awaiting their verdict.
In terms of needing 225 medical/surgical hours, I had a placement on a Stroke admissions unit equalling 225 hours. Don't know if this could be included and just complete the theory?

To be honest I'm tired of all the waiting and speculating.
So glad to see things progressed for you and you got the information you needed! We are a little stuck again, just waiting for clarity on which modules need to be completed at which point he will go for it and sign up! Are you doing the course via John Collins? How are you finding it?
Old May 11th 2017, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Yes I intend on doing the course via John Collins. Will be interesting to see how a Canadian College oversees a U.K nurse on placement in the U.K.
The 2 modules that will need to be completed beforehand are through Douglas College based in B.C.
It's all online, similar set-up to the Open University.

I have to reach a decision before 4 June.
Since starting NNAS my wife's eldest daughter has fell pregnant and given birth to her first baby. Middle daughter due with her first baby in October.
Testing time at the moment. Off to Florida on Tuesday, and will have this time to make decisions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.