Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

nicest airline company between TO and UK

nicest airline company between TO and UK

Old Apr 29th 2015, 8:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: nicest airline company between TO and UK

Originally Posted by bgpz
Nail. On. Head.

Although YYZ is a key hub for AC, their ground staff can be very sh1tty - declining (nay, toxic) industrial relations in recent years have apparently worsened (source: family member is an AC retiree, with many friends still in service across the airline). Similarly, you can play spot the former Canadian Airlines FAs with a fair degree of certainty (they are the ones more likely to smile and project genuine warmth).

No idea about BA as I've not flown them for years. My Mum's been using them recently (using avios to do an effective free upgrade from WT+ to CW on the return leg; during WT+ sales it's been a no-brainer but the recent BAEC devaluations have effectively killed this gift that kept on giving) and has been very satisfied - but night flights in CW probably helped!

We flew Icelandair as a family 5 years ago and were impressed. Transat have indeed improved their fleet recently; Manchester's their effective hub so you're more likely to do better there if there's a problem (e.g. need to replace an aircraft, as happened to us once - it wasn't even a 2-hour delay in the end, and handled really well).

If you're near the US border, consider a US carrier if you don't mind a transfer/layover.

OP is looking for ex-Toronto suggestions: so Buffalo may be a possibility. You've got United and American with connections to local hubs. United offer Economy plus which can offer some decent legroom if you do your homework (varies according to type of plane, so may not be worth the extra dosh - but in some cases, it's a steal).

Doing exactly this, we've used hotel points to have an overnight stay to connect to a day flight (and, if you time things right, an overnight layover in Newark can mean heading in to NYC for a quick dinner if that floats your boat!). But this can help break up a long day in to something far more civilized and bearable - but some people just want to get from A to B no matter what... there's only what works for *you* best.

As they say, YMMV. Really depends on what you're after, and what your preferences are.
Traveling to and from Buffalo to get a flight to the UK is a major pain in the bum IMO. There is only one flight per day (evening) from Newark to the UK and that's with United. There used to be two per day years ago when it was Continental. Sooooo...a lengthy journey to Buffalo...then two planes to Manchester...that makes for an extremely long journey.
Old Apr 29th 2015, 9:19 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Traveling to and from Buffalo to get a flight to the UK is a major pain in the bum IMO. There is only one flight per day (evening) from Newark to the UK and that's with United. There used to be two per day years ago when it was Continental. Sooooo...a lengthy journey to Buffalo...then two planes to Manchester...that makes for an extremely long journey.
I would agree. If the question is "nicest airline company between TO and UK" I would instantly rule out any that require a stop on the way. The least pleasant part of any journey by air are the bits that require you to hang around in airport departure lounges and/or arrivals halls. Going out of one's way to do that more often than absolutely required would not by any means fit my criteria for "nice."

If, otoh, the question were "cheapest" then options through Buffalo might come into play. But increasingly not even then - especially with the Loonie where it's currently sitting if ticket prices are in US dollars - and certainly not if convenience and length of journey are factors for consideration.

It really does, sadly for the OP, boil down to Air Canada vs British Airways.
Old Apr 29th 2015, 9:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
I would agree. If the question is "nicest airline company between TO and UK" I would instantly rule out any that require a stop on the way. The least pleasant part of any journey by air are the bits that require you to hang around in airport departure lounges and/or arrivals halls. Going out of one's way to do that more often than absolutely required would not by any means fit my criteria for "nice."

If, otoh, the question were "cheapest" then options through Buffalo might come into play. But increasingly not even then - especially with the Loonie where it's currently sitting if ticket prices are in US dollars - and certainly not if convenience and length of journey are factors for consideration.

It really does, sadly for the OP, boil down to Air Canada vs British Airways.
I normally only book non stop flights. Years ago we sometimes flew into Heathrow from Newark or JFK...then onto Manchester. Instead of getting into Manchester early in the morning it was usually around lunchtime...meaning a loss of several hours vacation time and by that time I was well and truly cream crackered.
Old May 1st 2015, 11:49 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sgbolt
Looking at flights for mum to visit this summer - airtransat, air canada and BA are all coming up similar price. I know airtransat isn't the nicest flight but anyone got an opinion on which one to book - never done BA. Thanks
if the difference is a few dollars, my suggestion for you is to pick the one that is direct with the shortest flight time & that doesn't get you into the UK at 5:30 am, because on the return leg you need to be up & at the airport while you're still sleeping.

They are all much the same for a 7 hour flight.

As some folks are aware, YYZ to the UK can be 21hrs when you include things such as - getting to an airport, waiting, stops, changes, layovers & connections, either through Buffalo, to Newark and/or Philadelphia.

For YYZ to the UK, take the shortest flight time (7-8 hrs max), cheapest direct flight that gets you in the UK after 8am, is my suggestion to you.

Just to show you value for money & flight time YYZ-SYD.

If you were thinking YYZ - SYD (Australia) then its the one stop change 21 -24 hr flight for $1562

Departing Flight Information - Tuesday, September 15, 2015 Toronto, ON, Canada to Sydney, Australia

Air Canada
Flight 739 Departs: Tue Sep 15 6:30pm
Toronto, ON - Pearson International (YYZ) Arrives: Tue Sep 15 9:10pm
San Francisco, CA - San Francisco International (SFO)

United Airlines
Flight 863 Departs: Tue Sep 15 10:25pm
San Francisco, CA - San Francisco International (SFO) Arrives: Thu Sep 17 6:25am Sydney - Kingsford Smith (SYD) Flight Duration: 21h 55m

Returning Flight Information - Monday, September 28, 2015.

Sydney, Australia to Toronto, ON, Canada

United Airlines
Flight 840 Departs: Mon Sep 28 9:50am
Sydney - Kingsford Smith (SYD) Arrives: Mon Sep 28 6:40am
Los Angeles, CA - Los Angeles International (LAX)

United Airlines
Flight 8328 Departs: Mon Sep 28 11:35am
Los Angeles, CA - Los Angeles International (LAX) Arrives: Mon Sep 28 7:10pm Toronto, ON - Pearson International (YYZ) Operated by: AIR CANADA Flight Duration: 23h 20m

Last edited by not2old; May 2nd 2015 at 12:11 am.
Old May 2nd 2015, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

Goodbhoy is an unknown quantity at this point

I have flown both AC and BA for the previous year every 2 weeks. (back and forth)
In my opinion BA was superior for a level of service.
Alcoholic drinks are free.
Leg room is pretty poor though.

Air Canada was OK for service and soft drinks were free and leg room was a little better than BA.

I had lots of issues going through Heathrow though as I needed to go from Terminal 5 to terminal 2 and needed to go through security twice.

I am now here permanently.
When my wife and kids came over to join me, they travelled with air Transat as it was a direct flight and we were also transporting our pets.
We booked economy but then upgraded to premium economy.
She reports that it was the worst airline she has ever flown with.
The planes were old and you didn't even hae your own TV screens.

I have never flown with Air Transat and do not intend to so I cannot comment from a personal level.
Old May 2nd 2015, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Goodbhoy
I have flown both AC and BA for the previous year every 2 weeks. (back and forth)
In my opinion BA was superior for a level of service.
Alcoholic drinks are free.
Leg room is pretty poor though.

Air Canada was OK for service and soft drinks were free and leg room was a little better than BA.
Just have to point out that alcoholic drinks are free on AC too.
Old May 2nd 2015, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Goodbhoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
Just have to point out that alcoholic drinks are free on AC too.
Oh OK, I don't remember that.
Perhaps it was another airline I had to pay for a beer.
Old May 2nd 2015, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Goodbhoy
Oh OK, I don't remember that.
Perhaps it was another airline I had to pay for a beer.
Yup, very much enjoyed my plastic bottle of wine and pee beer a couple weeks ago on way back from YYZ
Old May 3rd 2015, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Dahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian

Unless you're renting a car at Heathrow, in which case the additional time-saving of Avis and Budget having their pick-up and drop-off point within the short-term car park at T5 trumps all other considerations and means that BA is the hands-down winner
Really useful information - thanks. As a woman traveling on her own and having to struggle with luggage on the shuttle bus to car hire from T2 BA will always be my first choice now.
Old May 3rd 2015, 11:04 am
Just Joined

Aaron.Cat.89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sgbolt
Looking at flights for mum to visit this summer - airtransat, air canada and BA are all coming up similar price. I know airtransat isn't the nicest flight but anyone got an opinion on which one to book - never done BA. Thanks
I've also just done a round trip from the UK to Calgary with ac. The airline supplied plenty of refreshments and the seats were comfortable with lots of legroom in premium economy. My only gripe has already been mentioned and that was the entertainment, very bland selection of films and TV shows however I would definitely use ac again and would also recommend them.
Old May 3rd 2015, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

I have used Air Transat but both times it was a Thomas Cook plane staffed by Thomas Cook employees. Other than one return flight from Gatwick that was severely delayed (a passenger on the inbound flight had left a bag on the plane which, of course, caused a bomb scare which resulted in the delay) I had very good experiences. I wouldn't hesitate to fly with them again.
Old May 3rd 2015, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar
I have used Air Transat but both times it was a Thomas Cook plane staffed by Thomas Cook employees. Other than one return flight from Gatwick that was severely delayed (a passenger on the inbound flight had left a bag on the plane which, of course, caused a bomb scare which resulted in the delay) I had very good experiences. I wouldn't hesitate to fly with them again.
Was this before 2013?

I don't think they work with Thomas Cook any more (or rather I don't think Thomas Cook run any long-haul services to Canada any more).
Old May 3rd 2015, 5:34 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Airlines are no different to other consumer goods. What is the 'nicest', best or best value is down to each of our expectations and what is most important, cost or comfort and what we can each afford or justify spending to achieve the objective of getting one place to another.

My mother flew on a charter carrier, much to her disgust, as I could not get her on a company flight when she wanted to travel. She said she would rather walk next time than fly them again. We never got to put that to the test!

I have certain expectations of travel comfort and would adjust my schedule to meet those expectations and convenience. A charter would not come into the equation for me.
Old May 4th 2015, 2:04 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar
I usually avoid the AT flights operated by Thomas Cook, I've had some bad experiences with them in the past.

AT operated by AT is decent, though, and their customer service is good even for a charter.

First, I had a bike box that I wanted to accompany me. Both AC and BA wanted me to pay the fee for a second checked bag, PLUS then an additional handling charge for "special cargo". AT just wanted a flat 25 quid - would have cost me more like 100 on AC or BA. Score one for AT. It did take a little bit longer for my bike box to come out on the other end, but the box came out in tact, albeit slightly later than the rest of the luggage! Not a big deal at all.

AT was also pretty good about the most ridiculous plane delay I've ever experienced. This was January 2014. A bit of a saga...

Flight was meant to leave at 9am and arrive in Toronto around noon. Cool. Get to the airport, check everything in including my bike box, and then told that the flight is delayed by about 4 hours, so they gave me some food vouchers and said to just go sit tight. Alrighty. Had breakfast with my in-laws (and paid for theirs as I think my voucher was for like 25quid, lol) and then went through security etc. I had some lounge passes from a credit card, so this seemed as good a use as any!

The delays continued through the day. 1pm departure became 2pm, became 3pm, became 4pm. I'd gone to the AT desk a few times, naturally they were swamped with people, and the attendants looked completely frazzled, but just kept saying that they had no idea what was going on, they just kept getting calls from Toronto saying the delay had been extended, then later calls saying the same from Montreal. They were confused and really apologetic, I felt bad for them. I got another 25quid in vouchers and went back to the lounge.

I kept trying to find the incoming flight on things like FlightRadar, but the flight number was coming up as "departing from Montreal" which I knew wasn't right... again, just seemed to be total confusion. Instead I ordered my sixth gin and watched movies on Netflix.

Eventually the departure time changed... jumped from 4pm to 11:59pm. Okay, wtf! Back to the desk... still no real word other than "yeah, it's going to be a really late departure". Another 30quid's worth of vouchers, back to the lounge I go! At this point I was pretty drunk, haha.

Around 10pm the lounge closed, so I went wandering around the airport. It was hilarious, there were only two flights left to depart, ours and one going to Stockholm. Everyone left in the terminal was either asleep, sprawled out on benches, or otherwise in the restaurants getting spectacularly drunk.

Finally we got a departure gate assigned, got on the plane, etc... pulled away from the gate at about 1am. So at this point I'd been at the airport since about 7am - 18 hours. Woohoo.

Once on the plane, the pilot came on the PA system and told us what happened. Honestly, I felt awful for everyone involved.

The plane pulled away from the gate in Toronto on time. While it was taxiing out to the runway, one of the passengers became quite ill, and the plane had to turn around and go back. While on the way back, a second passenger also started vomiting. The two of them were offboarded, and then a delay happened because their bags also had to be removed.

While they were waiting for the baggage removal, two asshats started causing a ruckus and getting really beligerent, so they were kicked off the plane. Their bags also had to be removed.

So after this delay, finally the plane was able to head back out... except a snowstorm had pulled in, flights were grounded. Great.

Finally things clear up enough that the plane can take off... except with this long delay now the flight crew does not have enough flying hours left to actually make it to London. They decide to take off from Toronto anyway as the forecast wasn't looking great, and would land in Montreal just to change crews... given the flight isn't very long, it would take just as long to get a new crew to Toronto anyway, so they decided to do that.

So off they go to Montreal. Touch down in Montreal, new crew comes on, ready to go, aaaaaaaaaaand SNOWSTORM. They are stuck on the ground in Montreal an additional 3 hours.

Finally it clears up enough to take off and the plane makes it to London. Just the biggest faff EVER.

I was pretty impressed generally with how AT handled things at Gatwick... the staff there were clearly frustrated that they didn't know what was going on but were doing their best to appease everyone, and I got about 80 quid's worth of free food in the process, haha, which was well more than I could eat, lol... particularly as the last voucher was rather late in the day and I'd already pigged out on free food and booze in the lounge. I ended up buying McDonalds for a bunch of people milling about the restaurant as it was the only thing still open after 11pm!

So an interesting experience... landing in Toronto at 5am after being quite drunk and spending the day at Gatwick was, uh, interesting... not sure how thrilled Mr Schnooks was either to have to trek out to Pearson in the middle of the night on a Wednesday morning, lol... but overall it was a decent flight.

I was on one of the refurbished planes, it was pretty nice. Good selection of movies, nice screens, way fewer ads than on AC's system, no complaints overall, really.

(I would generally still fly AC or BA if given the choice, unless AT comes up way cheaper - airline points also factor into the decision slightly as well!)
Old May 4th 2015, 7:24 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly

(I would generally still fly AC or BA if given the choice, unless AT comes up way cheaper - airline points also factor into the decision slightly as well!)
what you are really saying at the bottom of that last long post #44 is - 'lowest fare (cheapest) is the only way to go', whether it comes in a discount fare by way of points or price?

And if you didn't have the points, you'd always fly the cheapest out of pocket cost no matter what?

and this

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
I was pretty impressed generally with how AT handled things at Gatwick... the staff there were clearly frustrated that they didn't know what was going on but were doing their best to appease everyone, and I got about 80 quid's worth of free food in the process, haha, which was well more than I could eat, lol... particularly as the last voucher was rather late in the day and I'd already pigged out on free food and booze in the lounge. I ended up buying McDonalds for a bunch of people milling about the restaurant as it was the only thing still open after 11pm!

So an interesting experience... landing in Toronto at 5am after being quite drunk and spending the day at Gatwick was, uh, interesting... not sure how thrilled Mr Schnooks was either to have to trek out to Pearson in the middle of the night on a Wednesday morning, lol... but overall it was a decent flight.

Last edited by not2old; May 4th 2015 at 7:27 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.