Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nice places to live with a family in New Brunswick.

Nice places to live with a family in New Brunswick.

Old Feb 5th 2021, 11:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nice places to live with a family in New Brunswick.

Originally Posted by Fluffalump
My husband works here in Norrhern Ireland for a Canadian company. Several of his colleagues have made the move to Canada and we are looking to do the same.
We are only in the very early stages of planning so we haven't started anything formal or any paperwork yet. his immediate boss has OKed the move but it still needs official approval from HR.
His company has given him the contact details of the other expats and he is going to get in touch and we show they sorted visas etc.

My husband works remotely in IT and I am a stay at home parent to our 4 kids who are aged 12, 6, 4 and 1.5. We would also be bringing our dog (and possibly cat).

Anyway....we are looking at the east cost, most likely New Brunswick, maybe Nova Scotia. We are drawn by the weather and the cheap housing and we like that it's easier for family to come and visit than the west coast.

Can anyone suggest any nice towns or villages to live in? Canada is so vast, it's hard to know where to start!
We currently live on the outskirts of a nice village in Norrhern Ireland. It's a good mix of us having space while also being close to good schools, sports clubs, swimming pool etc for the kids. I suppose we would look for something similar in Canada. We love nature and walking and nice views.

Thanks!

Can anyone suggest nice
Not in Northern Ireland (Republic myself) but I've actually seen the opposite and many who had moved to New Brunswick moved back in recent years. I've never heard anyone say they were drawn to the weather and most actually complained about it after 2 or 3 years, but then again they all went to different parts of the country. With Catalunya so close, we usually just spend the holidays there and even right now pleasant on the beach and skiing close by. Spring/Summer are grand in many parts of Ireland and even right now it's mild and dry with excellent beaches on the doorstep. Although IT is always in demand, it just seems the salaries are very low vs. cost of living and within the EU you have a lot more opportunities working remotely at the moment. As always it just depends where you live now and where you move to, but one shouldn't underestimate the costs of moving a larger family.

Last edited by Moses2013; Feb 5th 2021 at 12:24 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2021, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

Fluffalump is an unknown quantity at this point

What is it that people dislike about Canadian weather Moses?
Old Feb 5th 2021, 12:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The 4 seasons: Almost winter, winter, still winter, summer.
Old Feb 5th 2021, 12:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Everybody will have a different opinion and it depends on where you are in Canada too as the climate varies. Personally I never minded the winter as I love cold weather and snow. But I hated the summers, far too humid for me (and in NS/NB I believe black flies/mosquitos etc are an issue then too), and I hated the 'spring' which is basically just horrid brown dead stuff season!
Old Feb 5th 2021, 12:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Everybody will have a different opinion and it depends on where you are in Canada too as the climate varies. Personally I never minded the winter as I love cold weather and snow. But I hated the summers, far too humid for me (and in NS/NB I believe black flies/mosquitos etc are an issue then too), and I hated the 'spring' which is basically just horrid brown dead stuff season!
I am the opposite. Love the summer weather but dislike the other 3 winter seasons.
Old Feb 5th 2021, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

Fluffalump is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm ok with flies, we get quite a few here if you live lough-side. Are mosquitos a problem in ALL of NB during the summer?
Old Feb 5th 2021, 12:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I am the opposite. Love the summer weather but dislike the other 3 winter seasons.
We should live on opposite sides of the world and house swap. I hate hot weather, and would always pick a skiing holiday over a summer one. Anything above about 28 degrees and I'm a right miserable cow.

I'm ok with flies, we get quite a few here if you live lough-side.
Normal flies don't bite though. Have a search of the forum for more info on mosquito/black fly season. Here's one I've just found to get you started - Thoughts on moving from NS to BC

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 5th 2021 at 12:51 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2021, 12:58 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto. I think the Toronto summers are amazing tbh. Not a fan of the winters though and definitely agree regarding what passes for spring in Canada.
Old Feb 5th 2021, 1:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone is different of course and I'm the last one to complain, but anyone who moved to Canada for weather doesn't seem to survive long, or eventually starts to complain again.
Different parts of each country offer different weather and after a while it's not going to end up being the med. The country you live in now offers scenery, beaches, walks and while it might not be as sunny as other parts of NB, you still have parts of the country that come closer to it without the extremes. Even for a family, it's cheap enough to take the ferry from Cork to Roscoff and driving down to the Med is easy enough. Unless the job is so secure and offers major improvements (career boost), I don't see the real benefit. Before lockdown (just before Christmas), I was walking on the beach near Ballyconneely and thought how lucky people are to have such a place on their doorstep.
Old Feb 5th 2021, 1:13 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
We should live on opposite sides of the world and house swap. I hate hot weather, and would always pick a skiing holiday over a summer one. Anything above about 28 degrees and I'm a right miserable cow.

There's a lovely villa in sunny Perth available JG
Old Feb 5th 2021, 2:42 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Are mosquitos a problem in ALL of NB during the summer?
They can be.
I don't know why but they're not like 'European' mozzies which only seem to come out between dusk and dawn. They're not around the whole of summer, fortunately and some summers are better than others. Last year I didn't see one at all. Maybe covid saw them off.

How are you with June bugs? They're like armoured moths.
Old Feb 5th 2021, 3:00 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

For IT work you'd want good internet / fibre connection for work and other things so close to larger towns/cities would be what you would need rather than rural connections. I would say Fredericton, Moncton/Riverview areas would be your choices. I've lived in both.
Old Feb 5th 2021, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

puggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nice

hi there we live just outside shediac NB and love it here we have beautiful beaches , since covid our property prices have risen as we have had a lot of influx of people moving here especially from ontario we are booming right now and its good to see some new faces around we have been here for 11 years now and still love the area we live out of town with acerage chickens horses ect good luck with your search
Old Feb 5th 2021, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

What about ye?

I am from Northern Ireland myself and ended up in Nova Scotia.

If you want a read on the weather, Cool FM posted the other day about daffodils and trees starting to get buds in a few weeks. That won't happen here until late May. It was a shock to me how the lack of a decent length spring season would affect me. By the time the weather gets good here, NI will have had a few spells of good warm weather. Summer is definitely superior and I see little difference in autumn weather. WInter here is cold and icy, rather disappointing on the snow front, so NB would be better for that.

Not sure if Nova Scotia is a consideration but Halifax does have a similar vibe to Belfast in quite a few ways, with the bonus that the local politicians are virtually invisible.

Any questions about this neck of the woods let me know.
Old Feb 5th 2021, 3:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice
What about ye?

I am from Northern Ireland myself and ended up in Nova Scotia.

If you want a read on the weather, Cool FM posted the other day about daffodils and trees starting to get buds in a few weeks. That won't happen here until late May. It was a shock to me how the lack of a decent length spring season would affect me. By the time the weather gets good here, NI will have had a few spells of good warm weather. Summer is definitely superior and I see little difference in autumn weather. WInter here is cold and icy, rather disappointing on the snow front, so NB would be better for that.

Not sure if Nova Scotia is a consideration but Halifax does have a similar vibe to Belfast in quite a few ways, with the bonus that the local politicians are virtually invisible.

Any questions about this neck of the woods let me know.
Only been to NI a few times but we're further South West and although it's been a fairly wet week, still plenty of sun in-between and first daffodils in bloom. Although here they are now talking about the Beast from the East and could get snow. No doubt the summers are far hotter in Canada, but I must admit that temps no longer impress me and we actually avoid Spain completely during summer and go after September. We are lucky that we have a sunny sheltered garden and have a good motorway connection. If it's raining here in spring/summer, it's usually a dry sunny day 30 mins away, so we just go where it suits (North, East, South, West). I suppose you just have to adapt to your surroundings and those who don't will always be unhappy.

Last edited by Moses2013; Feb 5th 2021 at 3:52 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.