Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nice places to live with a family in New Brunswick.

Nice places to live with a family in New Brunswick.

Old Feb 4th 2021, 6:49 am
Just Joined

Fluffalump is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nice places to live with a family in New Brunswick.

My husband works here in Norrhern Ireland for a Canadian company. Several of his colleagues have made the move to Canada and we are looking to do the same.
We are only in the very early stages of planning so we haven't started anything formal or any paperwork yet. his immediate boss has OKed the move but it still needs official approval from HR.
His company has given him the contact details of the other expats and he is going to get in touch and we show they sorted visas etc.

My husband works remotely in IT and I am a stay at home parent to our 4 kids who are aged 12, 6, 4 and 1.5. We would also be bringing our dog (and possibly cat).

Anyway....we are looking at the east cost, most likely New Brunswick, maybe Nova Scotia. We are drawn by the weather and the cheap housing and we like that it's easier for family to come and visit than the west coast.

Can anyone suggest any nice towns or villages to live in? Canada is so vast, it's hard to know where to start!
We currently live on the outskirts of a nice village in Norrhern Ireland. It's a good mix of us having space while also being close to good schools, sports clubs, swimming pool etc for the kids. I suppose we would look for something similar in Canada. We love nature and walking and nice views.

Thanks!

Can anyone suggest nice
Old Feb 4th 2021, 8:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nice places to live with a family in New Brunswick.

Hi, and welcome to BE.

So your husband won't need to be within reach of a Canadian office, he can literally live anywhere? If so, most of Canada would fit your criteria, so you may need to give other info to narrow it down. What will your husband's salary be (it'll go further in some parts of the country), and roughly what would you want to spend on housing and for what i.e. a house/apartment/how many bedrooms etc? Do you want access to winter sports or the ocean? What kind of landscape appeals to you? Do you want a French language area or not? That will help people direct you to where may fit.

NS or NB are an unusual choice for the weather, what kind of weather are you looking for? And do double check the ease of flights for family to come and visit - pre-pandemic flight choice to NS was pretty limited, particularly at certain times of year, and that may be cut even further after Covid.

As for visa, if it's a company transfer then your husband's company should sort that. If not, a TWP isn't likely if the job isn't based at a Canadian office, so you'd need to see if you qualify for PR.

HTH, best of luck.
Old Feb 4th 2021, 9:06 am
Just Joined

We think he will still be able to work remotely, but we need confirmation. His salary would be about €120k. His is our only income. We would like housing to be quite cheap and we would like to live in a house with a garden rather than an apartment or townhouse.

Weather wise we want warm summers and cold snowy winters. Where we live now it rains 15 days out of 30 pretty much year round. It's just constantly wet. I don't mind a bit of rain at all, but we have wet summers and wet winters at the moment which I would want to avoid. I want to be able to get outside and do things whether it's winter sports or hiking.

We only speak very basic french so wouldn't want to live somewhere that you would need to be fluent.

We would like some access to skiing nearby in the winter months but it doesn't have to be world class ski slopes, just something for the kids to enjoy with their friends. My eldest has been on one so trip and had a ball, so he is pretty keen but isn't very advanced. We would like the sea to be reachable but we don't need to be beachfront.

Thank you for your help. We are more than happy to consider other locations. It's difficult to pick somewhere when Canada is so big and varied!

Last edited by Fluffalump; Feb 4th 2021 at 9:16 am.
Old Feb 4th 2021, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fluffalump View Post
We would like some access to skiing nearby in the winter months but it doesn't have to be world class ski slopes, just something for the kids to enjoy with their friends. My eldest has been on one so trip and had a ball, so he is pretty keen but isn't very advanced. We would like the sea to be reachable but we don't need to be beachfront.
Why access to the sea? That would narrow your choices down massively! Most Canadians are perfectly happy with access to lakes, they are often so big, they are 'seas' in all respects other than they are fresh not salt water! What you have listed bove nicely describes London or the small towns around it like St Thomas is SW Ontario. Easy access to both Lake Erie And Lake Huron and the Boler Mountain (errrrrr, hill!) Ski slopes on the outskirts of London.
Old Feb 4th 2021, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

A lake would be grand !
Old Feb 4th 2021, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

I will check those places out. Thanks very much for taking the time to help.
Old Feb 4th 2021, 2:59 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

We think he will still be able to work remotely, but we need confirmation. His salary would be about €120k. His is our only income. We would like housing to be quite cheap and we would like to live in a house with a garden rather than an apartment or townhouse.
Are you sure? That's like $200,000.00 CAD which is exceptionally high for most IT roles in Canada and especially NB unless it's some sort of consulting role or they're offering some sort of special expat package.
Old Feb 4th 2021, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

Ooops, no sorry! That was supposed to be C$120k. Hit the wrong currency symbol by accident.

But that is just exchanging his current salary into canadian dollars, he still has to negotiate his new Canadian contract with HR so while I think it'll be in that egion I'm not yet 100%.
Old Feb 4th 2021, 3:41 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Ooops, no sorry! That was supposed to be C$120k. Hit the wrong currency symbol by accident.

But that is just exchanging his current salary into canadian dollars, he still has to negotiate his new Canadian contract with HR so while I think it'll be in that egion I'm not yet 100%.
Ah, right OK, that's a bit more realistic tbh. Generally, regional IT salaries in the UK can just be directly converted in that way. In some cases the Canadian equivalent might be slightly higher and in others it might be slightly lower but it will depend on the type of role, how much experience it requires and what the demand is like. London salaries will tend to be higher than anything in Canada but there isn't really anywhere in Canada with a cost of living equal to London, not even Vancouver.

$120k should be a liveable salary for a family in somewhere like Moncton or Fredericton I would have thought but difficult-ish in the likes of Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver. I'm sure others will be able to advise you better though. BristolUK does live in NB and I think he's not the only person on here who does.
Old Feb 4th 2021, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

Thank you! I appreciate your input.
Old Feb 4th 2021, 4:14 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Thank you! I appreciate your input.
No problem, you're very welcome. I think if you're really into the outdoors life as a family then Canada could be a good place for you.
Old Feb 4th 2021, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

DMajor is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Nice places to live with a family in New Brunswick.

Can your husband get me a job working with him, I don't mind moving to NB..?
Old Feb 4th 2021, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

We live rural just outside of Amherst NS. We like it because we are within 10 minutes of the coast. We are and hour ish from Moncton NB and Truro NS and 2 hours from Halifax. We also have Wentworth NS which has a lot of skiing in the winter. This is one of the mildest February’s I can remember since we moved here.
Old Feb 4th 2021, 4:46 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Well you've certainly picked the right part for cheaper housing. And don't be put off by the "there's a reason housing is cheap" crowd. We have hospitals, schools, government offices, universities, IT, Retail centres, call centres, sports facilities, entertainment centres etc just like anywhere does. You may see fewer job vacancies advertised but with lower populations there are fewer applicants.

We're the biggest city in NB but I still view the Downtown as more of a UK High St. There is a surprisingly good array of restaurants around. Plenty of trails for walking, biking. Pre-covid, bus service was good. We do without a car but with your family you'd need one.

Mostly everything you could need for day to day living is around. You won't get the galleries and museums but with the salary mentioned and the much lower housing cost you should be able to make up for that by flying off to Toronto or Montreal fairly regularly.

There are some very nice beaches around but not like UK resorts with a promenade and shops, cafe's across the street but the waterfront at Halifax NS is nice.

Moncton's not pretty or scenic like the coastlines are, and the architecture's not much to speak of but I like the housing and a few minutes walk from the downtown and you're in smaller versions of Hyde Park or 'green' squares. The river is not much to look at, very brown, known as the chocolate river but it's a nice walk/bike ride there.

Fredericton is a bit more scenic but it's nicer, I think, to live in Moncton and visit Fredericton than the other way around.

We're closer to the UK but that doesn't make it easier for flights. From NB you'd need to connect at Halfiax, Montreal or Toronto and for other parts of Europe, the latter pair.

We can meet your cold, snowy winter requirements and summers are usually good, if a bit humid sometimes. We don't get much of a spring. It's not unusual for me to have some heating on and then a week later need the air conditioning on. That's essential by the way. Not the whole summer of course.

Something under appreciated about this part of Canada is that if there are any football fans in the family, the time difference means civilised kick off times

Last edited by BristolUK; Feb 4th 2021 at 4:48 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2021, 9:11 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your input, that's all been really helpful!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.