Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nice area and schools Nova Scotia

Nice area and schools Nova Scotia

Old Feb 2nd 2011, 3:14 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nice area and schools Nova Scotia

Yup, those of us who dont live in Fall River have quite an opinion about the Little Britain that is happening over there. Its also more expensive than Hammonds Plains and Tantallon. Beware of Brit targeting realtors out there too!
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 4:17 pm
Displaced Disgrace

Joe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond repute

We live just outside Herring Cove..
Great schools, a bus to downtown, affordable & 20/30mins, by car, to downtown in "rush hour"...

No Brit enclave that I'm aware of..

Glad you enjoyed your trip to the "Arsehole of Canada"...
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was: Cullicudden, Scotland. Now: Hammonds Plains, NS
Merry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to behold

Ditto both of Poppy's posts. We live in HP but to us it seems very urban compared to the very rural place we were before. Travel to Halifax can take an hour in rush hour but otherwise about 30 mins. I would agree with the comment about Tantallon having more of a community - we go to church there and it does indeed have a bit more 'community'. That said, we like our subdivision and it too has it's own community - so much of finding 'community' is how much effort you put in to it. We had also seriously considered a property just off Prospect Road - really liked the area, nearer to Halifax and Bayers Lake yet still easy to get to the ocean. Good luck!
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 1:15 pm
Done!

engineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Joe_Sleepy
We live just outside Herring Cove..
Great schools, a bus to downtown, affordable & 20/30mins, by car, to downtown in "rush hour"...

No Brit enclave that I'm aware of..

Glad you enjoyed your trip to the "Arsehole of Canada"...
We drove through Herring Cove on our reccie, and it is one of the most beautiful places to live I have ever seen, as are most of the drive through communities in that area along the way
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 1:24 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Porters Lake is nice. Very community driven, should you wish to get involved. Two P - 6 schools - one a few years old and one new one about to open in the Fall, which will also have a community centre attached. Public transport as well.

25/30 min commute to Halifax.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 4:39 pm
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy2
Yup, those of us who dont live in Fall River have quite an opinion about the Little Britain that is happening over there. Its also more expensive than Hammonds Plains and Tantallon. Beware of Brit targeting realtors out there too!
*Sigh* - here we go Fall River bashing, again!!
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 4:49 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kazbob
It gets us through the long winter months.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 4:55 pm
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flogger
It gets us through the long winter months.
Mr L, I know you need something to occupy your time now that your gorgeous doggy hasn't been skunked for a couple of months, lol.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 5:05 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Mr L, I know you need something to occupy your time now that your gorgeous doggy hasn't been skunked for a couple of months, lol.
busy boy today, shovelling all morning.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 5:07 pm
C'mon already

Originally Posted by Flogger
busy boy today, shovelling all morning.
Aye, some beauty phots Mrs L has put onto FB.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 5:13 pm
no I aint

Aye, some beauty phots Mrs L has put onto FB.
Yes, that was her contribution
Old Feb 4th 2011, 12:13 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

I dont consider it bashing really - it just isnt our bag. We have visited people over there and found it to be a bit Stepford wives....but that was just the particular area we visited. I know I am not the only one to think it
Old Feb 4th 2011, 12:45 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy2
I dont consider it bashing really - it just isnt our bag. We have visited people over there and found it to be a bit Stepford wives....but that was just the particular area we visited. I know I am not the only one to think it
Really?
I find Hammonds Plains very 'keep up with the Jone's'. Everybody is in competition who has the biggest and best truck, ski-doo, snow blower, curtains, whatever.
I find it very snobby over there and it all looks very cookie-cutter with the grey houses lined in rows.

When I visit friends in Hammonds Plains, I can't wait to leave and get back to colourful houses and trees and gorgeous lakes.

I don't live in Fall River either although I think it's totally gorgeous and picturesque. It was just too far out for us with no public transport links to Halifax.

Sorry, just my opinion.