Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nice area and schools Nova Scotia

Nice area and schools Nova Scotia

Old Feb 1st 2011, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

clay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to all
Default Nice area and schools Nova Scotia

Any ideas of decent areas with good schools near and around Halifax, I like Hammonds Plains, just wondered if anyone else has any ideas.. There will be me , the wife and 2 year old ( who will be 3-4 when we move )

Thanks,
Old Feb 1st 2011, 6:44 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nice area and schools Nova Scotia

Prospect / St Margaret's Bay areas are really nice but don't seem to be as popular with Brits as Fall River.
I can recommend a very good realtor who will be happy to show you all the different areas around HRM if you send me a pm.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was: Cullicudden, Scotland. Now: Hammonds Plains, NS
Merry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by clay
Any ideas of decent areas with good schools near and around Halifax, I like Hammonds Plains, just wondered if anyone else has any ideas.. There will be me , the wife and 2 year old ( who will be 3-4 when we move )

Thanks,
Have you visited any areas already - might give us an idea of what you're looking for? Do you need to be in a particular area for work?
Old Feb 1st 2011, 10:09 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cxx
Prospect / St Margaret's Bay areas are really nice but don't seem to be as popular with Brits as Fall River.
I can recommend a very good realtor who will be happy to show you all the different areas around HRM if you send me a pm.

Is this not Prospect/ St margarets bay area?

cxx

Got a job downtown and the commute was horrific - a journey that should have taken 20 minutes was at least 1 hour in rush hour. There were no public transport options from where we lived and parking was very expensive.
We also found that we needed to go downtown for almost all activities - there was nothing happening locally, but this probably isn't the case in other areas. We should have realised about the activities as we looked at some houses where the reason people gave for moving was getting access to stuff for their kids!!
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 1:21 am
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flogger
Is this not Prospect/ St margarets bay area?

cxx

Got a job downtown and the commute was horrific - a journey that should have taken 20 minutes was at least 1 hour in rush hour. There were no public transport options from where we lived and parking was very expensive.
We also found that we needed to go downtown for almost all activities - there was nothing happening locally, but this probably isn't the case in other areas. We should have realised about the activities as we looked at some houses where the reason people gave for moving was getting access to stuff for their kids!!
OP was asking about nice areas - if you don't have to commute downtown they are great areas to live. That said, if you have kids it seems you have to live downtown.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 4:42 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,
You might as well just move to Scarborough in North Yorkshire and save yourself the hassle.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

clay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Oink
You might as well just move to Scarborough in North Yorkshire and save yourself the hassle.
Thats a great answer from a " senior " member Oink..... very helpful if not a little immature, do you need a hobby as I can suggest a few things that may keep your mind occupied,,,,

Anyway thanks for the genuine replies, I am 45, my wife 42 and when we move our daughter will be 4 yrs.. our work would be in Halifax itself, we have stayed in Hammonds Plains and liked it there, just wanted some ideas of other areas, we are coming back out in April...

Thanks again
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 6:01 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Thats a great answer from a " senior " member Oink..... very helpful if not a little immature, do you need a hobby as I can suggest a few things that may keep your mind occupied,,,,

Anyway thanks for the genuine replies, I am 45, my wife 42 and when we move our daughter will be 4 yrs.. our work would be in Halifax itself, we have stayed in Hammonds Plains and liked it there, just wanted some ideas of other areas, we are coming back out in April...

Thanks again
Its your pidgin, but I was just wondering why anyone would choose to move to a shithole of a place on edge of nowhere when you could quite easily do that in the UK?
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

Its your pidgin, but I was just wondering why anyone would choose to move to a shithole of a place on edge of nowhere when you could quite easily do that in the UK?
And you are on the Canadian forum because ???? if its such a " shithole " nice command of the English language by the way... how come loads of people from the UK live there ? maybe little Oinky had a bad experience there hey ?? so Oink if you have nothing constructive to add ........
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 6:23 am

And you are on the Canadian forum because ???? if its such a " shithole " nice command of the English language by the way... how come loads of people from the UK live there ? maybe little Oinky had a bad experience there hey ?? so Oink if you have nothing constructive to add ........
There's no need to resort to argumentum ad-hominem as I was trying to be helpful. As I said, if you want live in a glorified fishing port in the middle of nowhere, moving Scarbourgh in the UK would save you a lot of trouble and expense. There's lots of nice places in Canada but have you been to Halifax? They don't call it the arsehole of Canada for nothing.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

There's no need to resort to argumentum ad-hominem as I was trying to be helpful. As I said, if you want live in a glorified fishing port in the middle of nowhere, moving Scarbourgh in the UK would save you a lot of trouble and expense. There's lots of nice places in Canada but have you been to Halifax? They don't call it the arsehole of Canada for nothing.
Yes actually we have been to halifax.. love the place, you don't like it Mr Oink thats fine if this is you being helpful....... your a weird person
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 12:51 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that was Stephen Harper.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 2:58 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, for some ACTUAL advice regarding the issue - we have lived in Tantallon for the last 3 years and both work within Halifax and the area is great.

Though trying to get in and out of Halifax during rush hour can take an hour, it otherwise takes 25 minutes or 10 minutes to Bayer's Lake. Also if you want to improve the commute and live closer to Halifax you lose on space, area and housing. To us its worth the cost of time.

And you cannot compare a commute of an hour within the UK to a commute of an hour here - the lifestyle more than makes up for the commute, which cant be said for the UK.

Who calls halifax the arsehole of Canada (was that what it was?). Has that person been to Winnipeg or Edmonton? Its a question of personal preference obviously and as the OP has been here and stayed in Hammonds Plains.......one might assume they liked it. Different focus when you have a young family and this is the perfect area for families - the beach, the scenery, the wildlife, the activities for kids and families, close to many attractions in the summer.

One thing I would say is that Hammonds Plians itself doesnt really have a community centre, however Tantallon and St Margaret's bay does, and it is growing and growing. I was advised that we would feel more involved in a community here than just being in a subdivision on the Hammonds Plains, but again, its very individual. The Tantallon schools are excellent, but all the local schools are to be honest.

Good luck. Can also recommend a realtor if you need one.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the reply Poppy, we are looking into Fall River and it seems a great place to live and for the family.. we will also check out the areas you mentioned aswell..

Thanks again..
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 3:12 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply Poppy, we are looking into Fall River and it seems a great place to live and for the family.. we will also check out the areas you mentioned aswell..

Thanks again..
Through a purely unscientific survey of posts/threads regarding living in NS, I came to the conclusion long ago that Fall River is the ONLY place Brits are allowed to live......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.