Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

niagara on the lake

Wikiposts

niagara on the lake

Old Aug 30th 2010, 4:30 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: niagara on the lake

I love it there - it's beautiful, quaint and filled with history.

I have family who live there and seem to be ok snow-wise, but then they live just off the town centre, not on the outskirts... it makes a difference.

If you want to see the weather there (statistically) then you can see here:

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/sta...tion/cl6135657
Old Aug 30th 2010, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
They would, wouldn't they?
Perhaps they're so happy that the tourists are gone in winter that they don't mind the snow and cold.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

big ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nice

Hi Siouxie
Thanks for the link dont look to bad not when ya viewing it from Lancashire U/K this summer has been awful, 2 weeks of good weather mid june and aint seen the sun since.Not much rain bit day after day of relentless dark grey skies.Had the heating on at night the last 2 weeks temp down to 6 degrees tonight and it is only the end of august.Looking forward to warm summers,Iwill put up with the winters being cold just to get away from this damp atmosphere we have in the north west u/k.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

Niloc has a spectacular aura aboutNiloc has a spectacular aura aboutNiloc has a spectacular aura about
Default Niagara on the Lake

Big Ron.....NOTL winters are not bad, we've been down there many times in the winter. Often the snow is almost all gone compared to the 6 to 8 inches that would be lying around Waterloo or 20 inches in Orillia! The least snow in this area is around Virgil and then it increases towards Saint Catherines and NOTL. Many retirees take off to Florida or Arizona for a nice winter break early January to Mid February when most of the snow lies. NOTL is close to Buffalo for much cheaper flights to the south. I have to say that we never leave Ontario from April to end October...we are on a 7 month vacation with generally nice warm weather and 70% sunshine in the summer to enjoy. We are so glad we came here 30 years ago!
The Inconvenient Snowbelt line is north of Toronto and runs through Guelph, Waterloo and Brantford. A good guide is to note where the locations are NOT suitable for snowmobiling Areas that are exposed to the west winds off the lakes are the worst as can be seen in this map. The eastern end of the lakes have 3 to 4 times the amount of annual snowfall than the western end. http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/buf/lakef...nowseason.html
Old Aug 30th 2010, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

big ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nice

Cheers Niloc, Some good info there it don't look to bad on the charts.Coming over in two weeks to stay with my son for a fortnight, will no doubt be visiting NOTL. for another recce. Going for meds. next wed. so we may get passpotr request for xmas.

I would also like to thank all who have replied to this thread this is a bonsa site for info.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

Niloc has a spectacular aura aboutNiloc has a spectacular aura aboutNiloc has a spectacular aura about
Wink Retiring in S Ontario

Big Ron...You are not Ronnie Biggs , my old pal are you? lol!!

My parents retired here 28 years ago from the UK and loved it! Dad bought a car, took his driving test, began new hobbies, loved Canadian sport and had a great old time. They took their grandchildren on day trips to all the beaches around this area such as Sauble, Wasaga, Port Dover etc. As they got older and snow was becoming too much because they had a long driveway we got a snowblower which we only needed to use about 6 times a year for under an hour each time.
On a side note...be aware that the UK government pension is NOT indexed annually once you leave home. My mother only receives a 1982 Pension and with the low pound that's not much. After 10 years (if over 65) you qualify for a quarter of the Canadian OAS and eligibility for the GIS (Guaranteed Income Supplement) My mum receives $835 per month from those combined.