Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

NI driving licence - can it be swapped in BC?

NI driving licence - can it be swapped in BC?

Old May 22nd 2011, 9:24 am
Just Joined

caitlind is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NI driving licence - can it be swapped in BC?

Hi everyone! I'm heading over to Vancouver next week with my partner on the IEC visa. Very excited! One problem still to sort out though... We're from Northern Ireland and as much as I research online, I can't seem to find out whether our driving licences can be swapped for a BC licence. Some people suggest we can drive for 90 days on our licence, then get it swapped no problem. Others suggest that BC still does not recognise NI licence and it would be better to swap to a GB licence using a friend's address on the mainland! have the rules changed recently? We're running out of time to get this sorted! Any advice much appreciated!
Old May 22nd 2011, 9:42 am
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: NI driving licence - can it be swapped in BC?

Originally Posted by caitlind
Hi everyone! I'm heading over to Vancouver next week with my partner on the IEC visa. Very excited! One problem still to sort out though... We're from Northern Ireland and as much as I research online, I can't seem to find out whether our driving licences can be swapped for a BC licence. Some people suggest we can drive for 90 days on our licence, then get it swapped no problem. Others suggest that BC still does not recognise NI licence and it would be better to swap to a GB licence using a friend's address on the mainland! have the rules changed recently? We're running out of time to get this sorted! Any advice much appreciated!
http://icbc.com/driver-licensing/mov...ntry/australia
Old May 22nd 2011, 10:06 am
Just Joined

Thanks! Yeah, I saw that link before. I was just unsure whether to trust it as it's primarily an Australian site I think? But hopefully that is the case!

Last edited by caitlind; May 22nd 2011 at 10:10 am.
Old May 22nd 2011, 10:28 am
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by caitlind
Thanks! Yeah, I saw that link before. I was just unsure whether to trust it as it's primarily an Australian site I think? But hopefully that is the case!
It is the ICBC site. They are the public insurance company for vehicles in BC. They are also are the licensing and registration authority for drivers and vehicles in BC.
Old May 22nd 2011, 10:32 am
Just Joined

Oh great! The /australia bit in the URL had thrown me off. Thanks for your help!