Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

NHS pension transfer time limit

Wikiposts

NHS pension transfer time limit

Old Jun 21st 2014, 2:40 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default NHS pension transfer time limit

This is me, pissed off.
I've been trying to get my NHS pension transferred via QROPS since February, but the NHS keeps giving misinformation. Today I received a letter saying it can't be done as it is too close to my pensionable age. Well, it's passed that now but it isn't my fault they couldn't get it done in time. The letter says "we must consider whether there is a reasonable amount of time to complete the transfer before age 60" and cite regulations but I can't see anything in the regs that says they have to consider this but that I must consider it.

They originally said that the pension forecast I used was too old so I had to pay for another, and now they are returning the cheque.

Is there anything I can do?
Old Jun 21st 2014, 3:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHS pension transfer time limit

Does the UK have a programme like Go Public like the CBC does?
Failing that its letter writing time to a bunch of people or Ministers of such programmes telling them of your frustrations with the system. I have this to look forward to as I have a frozen pension in the UK that needs dividing as my ex is entitled to some of it.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 2:51 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I've no idea what Go Public is but there are people to complain to - Financial Regulators- and I will do so if I don't get NHS pensions to sort this out.
I was asking for more information on the transfer out procedure. As far as I can tell they have made a couple of mistakes, one was charging for a transfer value when they can only charge for a hypothetical forecast is one and secondly taking so long to do the transfer that it was after my birthday.

When I was researching this there are specific processes in the case of divorce. So maybe start now and get it all set up ahead of time.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 11:41 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I've no idea what Go Public is but there are people to complain to - Financial Regulators- and I will do so if I don't get NHS pensions to sort this out.
I was asking for more information on the transfer out procedure. As far as I can tell they have made a couple of mistakes, one was charging for a transfer value when they can only charge for a hypothetical forecast is one and secondly taking so long to do the transfer that it was after my birthday.

When I was researching this there are specific processes in the case of divorce. So maybe start now and get it all set up ahead of time.
If you get a divorce, then the UK courts WILL transfer a lump sum out of your pension NHS pension entitlement and give that to your partner, assuming they do not have a pension pot equal to or greater than yours. Believe me, I've been there, and got the t shirt, and lower pension as a result.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 3:45 am
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by mikelincs
If you get a divorce, then the UK courts WILL transfer a lump sum out of your pension NHS pension entitlement and give that to your partner, assuming they do not have a pension pot equal to or greater than yours. Believe me, I've been there, and got the t shirt, and lower pension as a result.
I never said that they wouldn't. I simply replied to FL saying that there is a form to complete for such an event.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 4:33 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I never said that they wouldn't. I simply replied to FL saying that there is a form to complete for such an event.
No, you don't have to complete any form, the courts take care of all that, all you get is a statement of how much your pension pot is, and how much you will lose..
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 5:08 am
limey party pooper

No, you don't have to complete any form, the courts take care of all that, all you get is a statement of how much your pension pot is, and how much you will lose..
I don't really care about your bitterness.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 7:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Not quite true. I got married in the UK and divorced in Canada. I need to fill in a bunch of forms and pay this and that fee to get it divided as they just won't accept a copy of the Canadian court ruling.