Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nexus interview tips

Nexus interview tips

Old Mar 9th 2018, 3:47 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nexus interview tips

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You have to make sure that all updates/new passports/citizenship etc are reported to both the Canadian and US. We were told the two countries do not share the updated info.
I find that hilarious.

I’ll just go to the Main Street office when I have update them. I can understand new passport and change of citizenship to be done in person but stuff like address, phone number and other personal stuff should just be online
Old Mar 9th 2018, 3:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
I find that hilarious.

I’ll just go to the Main Street office when I have update them. I can understand new passport and change of citizenship to be done in person but stuff like address, phone number and other personal stuff should just be online
To cross the US/Canadian border by land we use a Nexus only crossing. We went into the US Nexus office last year to update our details...that’s when we were told they don’t share info and we must also update our info with the Canadian office. Next stop was the Canadian Nexus office...they confirmed this.
Old Mar 9th 2018, 6:43 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

To cross the US/Canadian border by land we use a Nexus only crossing. We went into the US Nexus office last year to update our details...that’s when we were told they don’t share info and we must also update our info with the Canadian office. Next stop was the Canadian Nexus office...they confirmed this.
Right ok then so I’ll just go to the airport both cbsa and cba are there.

So pointless going to two separate offices
Old Mar 9th 2018, 9:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody has yet figured out how to scan a new passport bio data page barcode information over the internet yet thats why those with new passports need to visit an enrolment office to have this done by the US officers as guess what you use the passport at the Global Entry kiosks. Canadians just simply add the new passport to your profile as you only use the NEXUS card on entering Canada with your passport safely tucked away but readily available.
Old Mar 9th 2018, 5:02 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Nobody has yet figured out how to scan a new passport bio data page barcode information over the internet yet thats why those with new passports need to visit an enrolment office to have this done by the US officers as guess what you use the passport at the Global Entry kiosks. Canadians just simply add the new passport to your profile as you only use the NEXUS card on entering Canada with your passport safely tucked away but readily available.
I did previously say I understood having to go in to an office with a new passport!

I don’t understand why you have to go in to update your address/phone number because Canada doesn’t have access online...?! This is what I am confused about!
Old Mar 9th 2018, 7:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I did previously say I understood having to go in to an office with a new passport!

I don’t understand why you have to go in to update your address/phone number because Canada doesn’t have access online...?! This is what I am confused about!
Where did you get that info from???

From the website
NEXUS members can access the Trusted Traveler Programs (TTP) System to update address changes and passport information that is already on file. Even if you did not apply using the TTP System, you can still confirm or update your information by creating a TTP System account, which enables you to view and modify your file.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nex...es-eng.html#c1
Old Mar 9th 2018, 8:59 pm
Bex in the city

Where did you get that info from???

From the website
NEXUS members can access the Trusted Traveler Programs (TTP) System to update address changes and passport information that is already on file. Even if you did not apply using the TTP System, you can still confirm or update your information by creating a TTP System account, which enables you to view and modify your file.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nex...es-eng.html#c1
And Canada can access this? Because the CBSA officer at the interview said they don’t have access to the online portal, which I thought was strange
Old Mar 9th 2018, 10:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And Canada can access this? Because the CBSA officer at the interview said they don’t have access to the online portal, which I thought was strange
CBSA dont use that website but you as the traveller can which in turn updates info on the site. CBSA has their own internal site which they use which will eventually show that info.
Old Mar 10th 2018, 6:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

So the bottom line is you can update your info on the website, you just have to go to a centre to get your new passport scanned by the US authorities so you can use Global Entry kiosks. My understanding is you can do this at a Canadian NEXUS centre that also has US agents, like the Niagara Falls application centre I applied at in the first place.

And when you become a dual citizen you'll only have to physically update your passport info for your Canadian passport, as you wouldn't be using your UK one in the Global Entry kiosks. You can just update the UK one online.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 1:34 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

You have to make sure that all updates/new passports/citizenship etc are reported to both the Canadian and US. We were told the two countries do not share the updated info.
The information they ask for/don't ask for changes over time, plus login.gov doesn't notify you when things are out-of-date.

When I originally got NEXUS back in 2010 they wanted all your vehicle details and the CBP inspector at YYC specifically told me that I had to cross at land borders in that vehicle unless I added the details of my new vehicle.

So at Pacific Hwy, the CBP inspector asked me why I didn't use the NEXUS lane (I was in a rental) and I related that to him, and he said it was bullshit.

So when I bought a new car I signed up for SENTRI and had to pay $42 to add my car (they used to do vehicle inspections, but that was scrapped a year ago) and realized that I had actually been signed up for SENTRI for my old car all along back when I initially got NEXUS.

I have various other stories of a similar vien (like the non-changeable and then changeable passport details). Moral of the story is to make sure you keep your NEXUS record up-to-date, I'd say check it at least once annually because they have a habit of changing things.

Last edited by Steve_; Mar 16th 2018 at 1:38 am.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 1:37 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Canadians just simply add the new passport to your profile as you only use the NEXUS card on entering Canada with your passport safely tucked away but readily available.
By air. Don't need it by land. The passport requirement is because of the IATA rules, I've actually checked in using my NEXUS card although I put my passport details in the booking. Depends on the check-in agent.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 12:17 am
Bex in the city

My card came through today and is activated.

One question:

I’m going across the border with the other half tomorrow, he doesn’t have NEXUS so we will have to use regular lanes but can I still give the Officer my Nexus card along with my passport using the regular traffic lanes?
Old Mar 24th 2018, 8:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

My card came through today and is activated.

One question:

I’m going across the border with the other half tomorrow, he doesn’t have NEXUS so we will have to use regular lanes but can I still give the Officer my Nexus card along with my passport using the regular traffic lanes?
Yes, this is what I do.

Congrats

Edit: Because you are a UK citizen/PR not Canadian you will probably still need to present your UK passport and PR card so have those with you, but you can still present your NEXUS.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

Collie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond repute

As this thread now seems to be about general Nexus issues - something we found the hard way was that when we became (dual) citizens we popped into the Nexus office at Pearson airport when travelling out to the UK, thinking we could just tell them, show our new passports and get the info on database updated. Wrong: for some reason they needed to take the card and post a new one out, so we couldn't use it for that trip. We should have called in on our way back!
Old Mar 24th 2018, 10:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Collie
As this thread now seems to be about general Nexus issues - something we found the hard way was that when we became (dual) citizens we popped into the Nexus office at Pearson airport when travelling out to the UK, thinking we could just tell them, show our new passports and get the info on database updated. Wrong: for some reason they needed to take the card and post a new one out, so we couldn't use it for that trip. We should have called in on our way back!
Because your nationality on your old card would've said "GBR" and you need a new one that says "CAN".

You have to update your NEXUS info before traveling so doing it before the trip was a good move, using it without updating it and doing it on your return could have jeopardised your membership

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.