Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nexus interview tips

Nexus interview tips

Old Mar 7th 2018, 7:49 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nexus interview tips

Mine is coming up in the next week.

Any advice apart from telling the truth and what kind of questions except the ‘why do you want nexus status?’

Thanks
Old Mar 7th 2018, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nexus interview tips

Mine was very straight forward. They just wanted to know which countries I had visited (ever). That was quite the challenge!

Other than that, all was good. They do a retina scan and fingerprints.

Best $50 I EVER spent.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute

I also received this email from the UK. 70 GBP for one year

--------------------------------
You are receiving this message because you have been identified by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) as a U.S. citizen or Canadian citizen enrolled in the GE/ NEXUS program. CBP would like to inform you that the United Kingdom now operates an expedited entry program called Registered Traveller and you may be eligible to apply.

Registered Traveller was launched by the UK Border Force to give faster and more convenient entry to the UK for eligible nationals from the United States and Canada. Membership of Registered Traveller costs £70 in the first year and £50 per year thereafter.

Membership of Registered Traveller includes the following benefits:

üAccess to ePassport gates

üUse of the UK / EEA queue

üNo requirement to complete a landing card on arrival in the UK

üNo routine credibility interview with a Border Force officer.

Visitor eligibility criteria have changed and you now may apply to join if you have made at least 4 journeys to the United Kingdom in the previous two years. Complete details of Registered Traveller eligibility and availability can be found online at www.gov.uk/registered-traveller.

Registered Traveller is proving extremely popular with members and to date there have been over 275,000 crossings of the border by members with extremely positive feedback such as,

“I think it is fantastic! It has made a major difference to my experience travelling as it gives me a great deal of time back.”

“Time saving and improved experience of clearing immigration.”

You can apply for Registered Traveller online now at www.gov.uk/registered-traveller .

This is an automated email. Please do not reply.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 8:20 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by misplacedheidi
Mine was very straight forward. They just wanted to know which countries I had visited (ever). That was quite the challenge!

Best $50 I EVER spent.
Oh really? They asked about all countries outside USA and Canada in the last 5 years on the application...did they want the dates as well if every country?
Old Mar 7th 2018, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

BexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Becki,

As has been said, the interview was very straightforward. There were actually two, one with each of Canada and US border officials, although they were standing right next to each other. (Not sure where you're going, we went to one by Science World.)

Only surprise was that they said could not approve until had supplied ESTAs. So we had to get these (not expensive) and I then had to go back to hand in. If you haven't got a current ESTA, you may want to get in advance and take a copy with you.

BexB
Old Mar 7th 2018, 8:50 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by BexB
Hi Becki,

As has been said, the interview was very straightforward. There were actually two, one with each of Canada and US border officials, although they were standing right next to each other. (Not sure where you're going, we went to one by Science World.)

Only surprise was that they said could not approve until had supplied ESTAs. So we had to get these (not expensive) and I then had to go back to hand in. If you haven't got a current ESTA, you may want to get in advance and take a copy with you.

BexB
Thanks for the advice.

I have an ESTA that runs in August this year so I’ll take a copy and then ask what happens with linking NEXUS to new ESTA after that.

Hopefully that will the last ESTA that I have to get before applying for Canadian citizenship afterwards.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 9:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

My interview tips

Why do you want a NEXUS/Global Entry Card?

So I don't have to speak to people like you and I just need to stick a card in a machine rather than asking any stoopid questions you may have. CAVEAT if using Global Entry kiosks you still speak to a US officer.

A machine finds it hard to tell if I am lying on my declaration.

The machine doesn't check my ass out.

The card will make me look more important when avoiding line ups of the great unwashed.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I was asked to apply for ESTA as well. I did it in the office on one of their computer terminals.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 9:45 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
My interview tips

Why do you want a NEXUS/Global Entry Card?

So I don't have to speak to people like you and I just need to stick a card in a machine rather than asking any stoopid questions you may have. CAVEAT if using Global Entry kiosks you still speak to a US officer.

A machine finds it hard to tell if I am lying on my declaration.

The machine doesn't check my ass out.

The card will make me look more important when avoiding line ups of the great unwashed.
Lol I’m sure that would go down so well with them if I said this.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 10:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Can’t remember what question were asked...but if we were they were simple. Wished we had applied 10 years ago...worth every penny.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 5:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by misplacedheidi
I also received this email from the UK. 70 GBP for one year

--------------------------------
You are receiving this message because you have been identified by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) as a U.S. citizen or Canadian citizen enrolled in the GE/ NEXUS program. CBP would like to inform you that the United Kingdom now operates an expedited entry program called Registered Traveller and you may be eligible to apply.

Registered Traveller was launched by the UK Border Force to give faster and more convenient entry to the UK for eligible nationals from the United States and Canada. Membership of Registered Traveller costs £70 in the first year and £50 per year thereafter.

Membership of Registered Traveller includes the following benefits:

üAccess to ePassport gates

üUse of the UK / EEA queue

üNo requirement to complete a landing card on arrival in the UK

üNo routine credibility interview with a Border Force officer.

Visitor eligibility criteria have changed and you now may apply to join if you have made at least 4 journeys to the United Kingdom in the previous two years. Complete details of Registered Traveller eligibility and availability can be found online at www.gov.uk/registered-traveller.

Registered Traveller is proving extremely popular with members and to date there have been over 275,000 crossings of the border by members with extremely positive feedback such as,

“I think it is fantastic! It has made a major difference to my experience travelling as it gives me a great deal of time back.”

“Time saving and improved experience of clearing immigration.”

You can apply for Registered Traveller online now at www.gov.uk/registered-traveller .

This is an automated email. Please do not reply.
Sounds like most of us on here who are UK/EU nationals don't need this as we get it for free using our UK/EU passports

As for the interview they didn't ask too many questions, the US guy wasn't that chuffed that I don't go to the US that often but I said it was more for the expedition of the process in Canadian airports and he was satisfied with that.

Remember when you get Canadian citizenship and a Canadian passport to go down to the NEXUS office and update your info with them (no appointment necessary.) If you get a new UK passport, you can change the details online in the TTP web portal (formerly GOES)
Old Mar 8th 2018, 8:17 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by Gozit
Remember when you get Canadian citizenship and a Canadian passport to go down to the NEXUS office and update your info with them (no appointment necessary.) If you get a new UK passport, you can change the details online in the TTP web portal (formerly GOES)
Thanks
Old Mar 8th 2018, 9:52 pm
Bex in the city

I passed!!!!

It was interesting I believe the CBSA officer said that any updates with address, number etc had to be done at an enrolment Centre as only the US CBA have access to info online??

I asked about Canadian passports and they said bring the passport and certificate of citizenship to enrolment Centre.

Luckily PR card, driving licence and passport all expire within a year of each other (unluckily that’s expensive).

The aim is to have Canadian citizenship by then though
Old Mar 8th 2018, 11:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Good job.

I have thought about getting one but I dont cross enough to really justify it.

Last time the Nexus line was longer then the regular line...lol
Old Mar 9th 2018, 3:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
I passed!!!!

It was interesting I believe the CBSA officer said that any updates with address, number etc had to be done at an enrolment Centre as only the US CBA have access to info online??

I asked about Canadian passports and they said bring the passport and certificate of citizenship to enrolment Centre.

Luckily PR card, driving licence and passport all expire within a year of each other (unluckily that’s expensive).

The aim is to have Canadian citizenship by then though
You have to make sure that all updates/new passports/citizenship etc are reported to both the Canadian and US. We were told the two countries do not share the updated info.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.