NEXUS card

Old Jan 2nd 2017, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NEXUS card

I know. I think he was just cold or something. I saw him come into the office when I was there and he was clearly a bit chilly. Or maybe it was just the contrast of me (Asian looking) in the car with two white Canadian citizens.

S
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 4:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
I know. I think he was just cold or something. I saw him come into the office when I was there and he was clearly a bit chilly. Or maybe it was just the contrast of me (Asian looking) in the car with two white Canadian citizens.

S
Thats what I was thinking too, since the rest of your clan are Canadian citizens...
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

... and I'm not white (or am I being oversensitive?)

Other daughter who doesn't have Nexus and is my colour but is a CC is doing a US day trip tomorrow. She's a little worried but I think she'll be fine.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Jan 2nd 2017 at 4:14 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 4:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

... and I'm not white (or am I being oversensitive?)

S
Nope, I believe it... Even in Canada I find security/border officers can be very racist at times.

When I went to Switzerland with school back in March, a friend who was born in Lebanon and isn't white either (though she is a Canadian citizen and has been here since she was 3) got sent to secondary security in Toronto and at Heathrow, then again at Heathrow on our way back. No one else did.
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 5:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Nope, I believe it... Even in Canada I find security/border officers can be very racist at times.

When I went to Switzerland with school back in March, a friend who was born in Lebanon and isn't white either (though she is a Canadian citizen and has been here since she was 3) got sent to secondary security in Toronto and at Heathrow, then again at Heathrow on our way back. No one else did.
How can you say its racism?
If the computer refers the person on a random basis is it racism?
If they have something in their carry on which requires looking at is that racism?
If they declare certain goods and are required to have it examined is that racism?
Is there a flag because this persons name matches someone who is wanted is that racism?
She was on a school trip so did she have a letter of permission or consent to travel and perhaps the officer wanted to see it. Is that racism?

Without knowing why your friend was selected for further examination you are assuming or indicating that racism played a factor in her being selected for further exam when its very probable it wasn't.
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

I had no issues returning to Canada. Officer was really nice: she just wanted us to open the window so she could see our daughter. I wasn't asked for my PRC or PP.

I asked for a stamp on my PP but she said I'm on the system as back in Canada, I assume via Nexus. I also gave her my i94 as you are instructed to do. FL if you don't mind can you please confirm? Thanks!

Last edited by Snowy560; Jan 2nd 2017 at 5:50 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
How can you say its racism?
If the computer refers the person on a random basis is it racism?
If they have something in their carry on which requires looking at is that racism?
If they declare certain goods and are required to have it examined is that racism?
Is there a flag because this persons name matches someone who is wanted is that racism?
She was on a school trip so did she have a letter of permission or consent to travel and perhaps the officer wanted to see it. Is that racism?

Without knowing why your friend was selected for further examination you are assuming or indicating that racism played a factor in her being selected for further exam when its very probable it wasn't.
It happens every time her or her family travel abroad. They just put her through the more advanced screener, thats all. I can't think of any other correlation other than their religion/skin colour.

Everyone had those consent letters and no one was ever asked for it once. This was security not customs so I assume the contracted security agent gave not one naff of whether she had permission to go where she was going. Its never a problem with passport control or customs, always security getting on the flight.
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 6:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I had no issues returning to Canada. Officer was really nice: she just wanted us to open the window so she could see our daughter. I wasn't asked for my PRC or PP.

I asked for a stamp on my PP but she said I'm on the system as back in Canada, I assume via Nexus. I also gave her my i94 as you are instructed to do. FL if you don't mind can you please confirm? Thanks!
Canada and the US share their crossing info and when using NEXUS or ABC kiosks you will notice passports are never stamped.
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Canada and the US share their crossing info and when using NEXUS or ABC kiosks you will notice passports are never stamped.
Thank you!
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 7:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I find the more frequently you cross the border, the easier it is to cross, and less hassles there seems to be.

My wife er had a passport issue on Saturday, and didn't realize it until she was 2nd from the booth, but the US let her in with no issues, even made a joke about how I could confuse my passport for hers...lol...

But I do know the US side may treat US passport holders differently, but they have always been pleasent to my wife.

Canada a little more difficult, but still fairly simple, just slower.
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes I don't cross much and had originally applied for Nexus thinking it might make internal flight procedures (e.g. security) quicker.

S
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes I don't cross much and had originally applied for Nexus thinking it might make internal flight procedures (e.g. security) quicker.

S
Its supposed to
The NEXUS card is supposed to get you in a shorter security line when travelling domestically but depending on which airports you use some don't always have that shorter line due to staffing issues or dependent on time of day.
If using one of these shorter lines you are supposed to also be able to keep your shoes on and deemed less of a risk as you are deemed to be a trusted traveller.
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

We'll see what happens when I fly to Europe in a few months!

S