NEXUS card

Old Jul 23rd 2016, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

RubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NEXUS card

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
NEXUS cards are not issued locally. You can apply to have a card replaced if lost/stolen or the details are incorrect. One of the frequent problems are holders who during the 5 year validity either acquired Canadian citizenship or got married and changed their last name or got divorced and went back to their maiden name.
When flying into Canada its not a big deal as the kiosks work on iris recognition which doesn't change because you got new citizenship, married or divorced. You don't show your passport to a CBSA officer unless they ask to see it which is not normally the case.
When driving into the USA and using a NEXUS card as ID if your citizenship is not Canadian on the card but you have a Canadian passport then hand that over to the US officer and it may save you the trip inside the office. Former Lancastrian I value your information and can't thank you enough, however I have looked through Goes with the intention to get my citizenship changed and it does not give me the option to say that my information has changed and therefore information on my card is no longer valid. I have attached a screenshot of the Goes site replacement option.

The biggest problem area is with domestic security CATSA at Canadian airports. Those who applied for NEXUS cards and did not get a replacement card with their new name but used their new name when booking flights will now be showing a CATSA person a NEXUS card with one name and a boarding pass in another name.
Now God forbid that these CATSA agents start using common sense.

1. Does the photo on the NEXUS card look like the person giving it to you?
2. Is the reason why the names are different is that they have just got married or couldn't be arsed to pay the $25 for a replacement card.
3. They are going through security in an expedited lane so as long as the picture looks like the person in front of you why do you care?

Now of course some NEXUS/GLOBAL ENTRY card holders are too dumb to figure out that the GOES website has many answers to their questions on the website.
Top right hand corner of the page Q & A Frequently Asked Questions is a clue

https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/goes/common/FAQ.html

Even the CBSA website NEXUS section has a Frequently Asked Questions section
Frequently Asked Questions about the NEXUS Program

CBSA officers DO NOT racially profile officially and if proven we can lose our jobs or get into serious trouble.
So just lets say the IRA started back up who might I be looking for?

Im not saying it doesn't happen but certain factors when used for targeting individuals for closer examination DO work and produce results. Its how the officers deal with that person.
And yes I have had the race card used against me on several occasions.

You are only searching me because Im (insert here)

No Im searching you because you have had 3 x arrests for narcotics possession.
See the difference?
Thanks
Ruby
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Sc.doc (170.5 KB, 79 views)
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 5:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

The NEXUS card will only display one citizenship.
Can I add/change my citizenship through my GOES account?
No, you must go into a trusted traveler enrollment center if you need to change your citizenship or add a citizenship in the case of dual citizens.

Once that has been done then I would be requesting a new card asking for Canadian citizenship to be displayed on the card.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

RubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond repute

The NEXUS card will only display one citizenship.
Can I add/change my citizenship through my GOES account?
No, you must go into a trusted traveler enrollment center if you need to change your citizenship or add a citizenship in the case of dual citizens.

Once that has been done then I would be requesting a new card asking for Canadian citizenship to be displayed on the card.
That's exactly what I did. I went into an trusted traveler enrollment center.

Ruby
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RubyRose
That's exactly what I did. I went into an trusted traveler enrollment center.

Ruby
But did you request a new card which now would show Primary citizenship of Canadian and would indicate that on the NEXUS card?
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

But did you request a new card which now would show Primary citizenship of Canadian and would indicate that on the NEXUS card?
Yes, and the officer told me there was no need to do that. The US side are fine with me showing them my Canadian passport and in fact I have never had any issues returning to Canada except the two consecutive Wednesdays. The Saturday in between the officer just waved me on with a big huge smile.

Ruby
Old Jul 24th 2016, 11:47 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NEXi hUS card

I have had my nexus card sinc January 2014 and my citizenship on the card says GBR in spite of me acquiring Canadian citizenship in May and getting a Canadian passport. I did take both my nexus card and Canadian passport to the Canadian nexus office on Main Street in Vancouver to register it on my nexus card. The person did not issue me with a new card so each time I drive across into the US I am asked for my Canadian passport, at first I didn't understand why but the officer explained to me what was going on. I just wonder why it wasn't replaced when I visited the Vancouver office.
Ask for it to be reissued, they reissued mine when I got Canadian citizenship. The super duper grumpy woman in the NEXUS office who has since retired said pretty much the same thing to me but she was wrong, they can and will reissue it on request. But you have to go to the NEXUS office.

It shouldn't make any difference when you cross though, they go by what is in your NEXUS record, not what is on the card. Make sure you've got Canadian citizenship listed as your primary citizenship in your GOES record and also make sure you've got your Canadian passport details in there too.

The other issue which I am sure Former Lancastrian would shed some light on is that a nexus card is supposed to expedite commuters through border controls, however my recent experience has proven to be quite stressful especially returning to Canada. [snip] What I noticed in the main building people who were there were white people with other passports, Americans and Canadians who were ethnically like me. I was quite upset. I am aware that these officers need to do their job but could it not be done in a polite and sensitive manner. I use to look forward to my jaunts across the border but now I am mindful that I would be subject to all sorts of searches just because of who I am. I always go alone because I enjoy driving alone.

I am sorry I just needed to share without wanting to feel a victim. I just wondered what I ought to do differently.

Ruby
It's got nothing to do with your ethnicity. I am probably the whitest person on the face of the planet and I've had an even worse experience entering by land using NEXUS.

However the difference is that I knew what to do, I complained the whole way through and insisted on seeing the superintendent at the end and went completely ballistic at him. And then I filed a formal complaint against the guy at primary.

Another difference between Coutts and Sumas is that I was literally the only person to cross that day through the NEXUS lane according to the superintendent, so the "oh you were just randomly chosen" line didn't work, because I was the only person subject to inspection by that inspector.

As FL said get the guy's name. File a complaint through the CBSA website.

If you're following the law they've got no power over you, so complain your ass off.
Old Jul 24th 2016, 11:57 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

. I know that profiling is taking place on the basis of race, ethnicity, age etc. etc. If your face doesn't fit into their world view then you are going to be questioned.
You KNOW this? How do you know? Were you specifically informed by the border patrol? Is it possible that perhaps the race cars is a convenient one to play when something unpleasant occurs?

Like Steve, I am about the pastiest white person you could meet. While I do not have a NEXUS card, I am a Canadian citizen who still gets the third degree when crossing the border. It's a part of the joys of being able to travel to another country.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 12:08 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I keep thinking about having one of those mail-order DNA tests done to see if I score 100% on "white northern european".

The only people I can think of who are whiter than me are either redheads, which make me think that the lack of colour contrast with their hair makes them look whiter than me, but the only person I've ever met with dark hair who was genuinely whiter than me was a guy from Iceland.

One of the reasons I emigrated to Canada is because I don't stand out as much.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 12:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Steve_
Ask for it to be reissued, they reissued mine when I got Canadian citizenship. The super duper grumpy woman in the NEXUS office who has since retired said pretty much the same thing to me but she was wrong, they can and will reissue it on request. But you have to go to the NEXUS office.

It shouldn't make any difference when you cross though, they go by what is in your NEXUS record, not what is on the card. Make sure you've got Canadian citizenship listed as your primary citizenship in your GOES record and also make sure you've got your Canadian passport details in there too.

It's got nothing to do with your ethnicity. I am probably the whitest person on the face of the planet and I've had an even worse experience entering by land using NEXUS.

However the difference is that I knew what to do, I complained the whole way through and insisted on seeing the superintendent at the end and went completely ballistic at him. And then I filed a formal complaint against the guy at primary.

Another difference between Coutts and Sumas is that I was literally the only person to cross that day through the NEXUS lane according to the superintendent, so the "oh you were just randomly chosen" line didn't work, because I was the only person subject to inspection by that inspector.

If you're following the law they've got no power over you, so complain your ass off.
Thank you. Steve I will do that

Ruby
Old Jul 25th 2016, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dorothy
You KNOW this? How do you know? Were you specifically informed by the border patrol? Is it possible that perhaps the race cars is a convenient one to play when something unpleasant occurs?

Like Steve, I am about the pastiest white person you could meet. While I do not have a NEXUS card, I am a Canadian citizen who still gets the third degree when crossing the border. It's a part of the joys of being able to travel to another country.
Dorothy. I couldn't help but feel that way. I felt quite humiliated and wondered if this could be a possible reason because it happened on two consecutive occasions to me. However from your experience and Steve's it just seems to be common practice.

Ruby
Old Jul 25th 2016, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

My biggest fear right now is that for no apparent reason I am sent into secondary and my car is ripped apart.

Ruby
Old Jul 25th 2016, 12:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve,
When your Nexus card was reissued did you have to pay to have it done and how long did it take for your new card to arrive.

Thanks,
Ruby
Old Jul 25th 2016, 12:57 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I keep thinking about having one of those mail-order DNA tests done to see if I score 100% on "white northern european".

The only people I can think of who are whiter than me are either redheads, which make me think that the lack of colour contrast with their hair makes them look whiter than me, but the only person I've ever met with dark hair who was genuinely whiter than me was a guy from Iceland.

One of the reasons I emigrated to Canada is because I don't stand out as much.
I probably beat you in the lack of melanin stakes. My hair is dark brown but my skin is almost luminescent it's so fair. I don't tan much, it's more that my freckles join up in summer. I tend to burn, peel, rinse and repeat.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 9:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

On the original topic, my Nexus app is still on "pending review" and 8 weeks is approaching rapidly.

Snowy or anyone else who has applied in this timeframe, any news?
Old Jul 25th 2016, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the same boat as you, mate. Time of year I reckon.

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.