NEXUS card

Old Jul 8th 2016, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NEXUS card

Apr 26, application
Apr 29, fee billed to credit card account
May 13, conditional approval notice
July 7, interview and approval notice

Now the interview date is dependent on which customs office you use. I was trying to get an earlier date than July 7, but in my case I would have had to drive to the Maine border in St. Stephen, which is 7 hours away in order get approved in May... which is not what I wanted. I had also checked Toronto, Niagara, Vancouver and St. John's, because I was in all of those places in June, but it didn't pan out with the dates and the ones in Ontario were much later anyway.. so it depends..
Old Jul 8th 2016, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodworm
Apr 26, application
Apr 29, fee billed to credit card account
May 13, conditional approval notice
July 7, interview and approval notice

Now the interview date is dependent on which customs office you use. I was trying to get an earlier date than July 7, but in my case I would have had to drive to the Maine border in St. Stephen, which is 7 hours away in order get approved in May... which is not what I wanted. I had also checked Toronto, Niagara, Vancouver and St. John's, because I was in all of those places in June, but it didn't pan out with the dates and the ones in Ontario were much later anyway.. so it depends..
Wow... that was quick between application to conditional approval. Wonder why mine is taking so long.

For my interview, my ideal scenario would be to get an interview at Pearson airport before my flight home on 8th August. (for a visit) But that probably won't happen. Depending on how long it will take I can go to either Toronto, Windsor, or hop across the border in Detroit for my interview.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 2:36 am
BE Enthusiast

RubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NEXi hUS card

I have had my nexus card sinc January 2014 and my citizenship on the card says GBR in spite of me acquiring Canadian citizenship in May and getting a Canadian passport. I did take both my nexus card and Canadian passport to the Canadian nexus office on Main Street in Vancouver to register it on my nexus card. The person did not issue me with a new card so each time I drive across into the US I am asked for my Canadian passport, at first I didn't understand why but the officer explained to me what was going on. I just wonder why it wasn't replaced when I visited the Vancouver office.
The other issue which I am sure Former Lancastrian would shed some light on is that a nexus card is supposed to expedite commuters through border controls, however my recent experience has proven to be quite stressful especially returning to Canada. I use the crossing at Sumas as I enjoy the drive from Burnaby mountain into Washington state. I pop across the border and I drive around a bit and I stop off and pick up organic grass fed milk etc. I never buy alcohol and tobacco and I am truthful about my purchases a week ago the officer asked me how often I go across so I explained to him often and he was surprised that I didn't have alcohol or tobacco. He asked me to put my car in park so I turned off my engine and he asked for my keys so I was going to step out and open the boot for him, he was quite gruff and he said " no you stay in your car and how do I open your trunk" I explained to him, me looked in it and it was empty. The milk and butter was in a carrier bag on the floor behind my seat. He then told me he also jumps in his car and drives to wherever he likes. All and good this Wednesday crossing back into Canada. It is a woman officer same questions I answer them truthfully. She then writes out a yellow form and tells me to drive into a bay on my left and go into the main office with all my documents. I was taken aback and I did as I was told. I presented myself to an officer who proceeded to look through the contents of my handbag and my wallet. I was bemused when he picked up a receipt which had 2370 Ottawa street on it and he gleefully said" oh! You have been in Ottawa recently. I just kept looking at his face without turning a hair. He then very quickly corrected himself rather red faced that it was a Costco receipt from PoCo. He went off looked through my car and came back a few minutes later spoke to the woman officer in the kiosk who glanced at me sideways with a rather embarrassed look . The male officer called me to the counter and continued to talk down to me about how a nexus card holder should answer questions. I had answered all questions I was asked truthfully. I was quite irritated by it all. I ethnicall of Indian origin from the subcontinent. What I noticed in the main building people who were there were white people with other passports, Americans and Canadians who were ethnically like me. I was quite upset. I am aware that these officers need to do their job but could it not be done in a polite and sensitive manner. I use to look forward to my jaunts across the border but now I am mindful that I would be subject to all sorts of searches just because of who I am. I always go alone because I enjoy driving alone.

I am sorry I just needed to share without wanting to feel a victim. I just wondered what I ought to do differently.

Ruby
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 2:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

That's terrible....FL; are they allowed to rifle through someones handbag if they are a Canadian citizen?
Ruby sounds like you need to get something sorted for a new nexus card that denotes your Canadian citizenship rather than UK.

If you are getting stopped every time, kind of defeats purpose of nexus card don't it.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Canadian citizens are subject to examination on entry even if they have the right to enter.

You must surely have watched enough episodes of Border Security to know that!

S
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 3:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
That's terrible....FL; are they allowed to rifle through someones handbag if they are a Canadian citizen?
Ruby sounds like you need to get something sorted for a new nexus card that denotes your Canadian citizenship rather than UK.

If you are getting stopped every time, kind of defeats purpose of nexus card don't it.
Yes all goods are subject to examination even if a Canadian citizen and NEXUS card holder. Its supposed to be a trusted traveller programme but there are those who try to use it for nefarious circumstances. Also crossing in BC frequently and using certain crossings will or might draw attention for less than obvious reasons for the normal traveller. Apart from lumber what do you think might be the 2nd or 3rd most exported product from BC. Heres a clue its a plant that has a distinctive aroma.
As I have said many times the officers wear their name on their ballistic vests on the wearers left breast. If you feel you have been treated unfairly ask to speak to a Supervisor after they have finished doing whatever.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 3:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Yes all goods are subject to examination even if a Canadian citizen and NEXUS card holder. Its supposed to be a trusted traveller programme but there are those who try to use it for nefarious circumstances. Also crossing in BC frequently and using certain crossings will or might draw attention for less than obvious reasons for the normal traveller. Apart from lumber what do you think might be the 2nd or 3rd most exported product from BC. Heres a clue its a plant that has a distinctive aroma.
As I have said many times the officers wear their name on their ballistic vests on the wearers left breast. If you feel you have been treated unfairly ask to speak to a Supervisor after they have finished doing whatever.
Agree with all these points

But if she has been stopped/pulled to secondary enough times and they have seen her receipts etc and she was good to go you'd think they would let her use her NEXUS card in peace.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 3:53 am
BE Enthusiast

RubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Well I am in my fifties, teach in a high school and just enjoy the politeness and good courteous driving in Washington state. I am a person of colour with a very British accent which didn't seem to go down well with the woman officer.

Thanks Former Lancasterian I will remember to get their names. I like the Sumas crossing because it has a nexus lane and it has a highway almost all the way. I don't like Blaine and I don't enjoy the drive there. I love Mount Baker and Sumas is the best access because it is countryside.

Now what if a person lives close to the border and uses the same crossing does that arouse suspicion regarding their conduct.

Ruby
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 3:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Agree with all these points

But if she has been stopped/pulled to secondary enough times and they have seen her receipts etc and she was good to go you'd think they would let her use her NEXUS card in peace.
At first it didn't bother me but as I set off I became angry and tearful and then I thought "hmmm! Don't mistake it for travel in the EU".

Ruby
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

From 1990 'till about 2012 I lived on the border between Tsawwassen and Point Roberts in BC. I kept a number of boats in Point Roberts Marina overtime and visited sometimes everyday and, at weekends, stayed on the boat as a holiday home.
Over that time-scale I've noticed the border guards become more and more like Gestapo.
I can understand the USA side behaving like that after the 9/11 and catching that guy crossing from Victoria to WA with a car full of bomb-making to blow-up San Francisco.....but the Canadian officers also seemed to have a change in attitude.
In the past I got to know some Canadian Officers and they would call me by name and flash me past after in-putting my wife's registered car which had a prefix XXX...this seemed to amuse the officers and they often wickedly asked..."How's the wife?"
Point Roberts used to be a bawdy hang-out 'till the Canadians opened Sunday drinking.

Now, if I cross, they say "where you been?" FFS Point Roberts is a peninsula only about 3km by 3km in size....I'd say the Marina...they ask "what you do there?" I'd say have lunch. They would say "what you bring back?" I'd say "nothing I didn't bring down except a full stomach." I didn't mention the couple of pints of Alaskan Ale I'd imbibed with my lunch.

BTW The Canadian Immigration/Customs officers at Point Roberts border post are predominately of Indian race. I think it's probably a short-term post for recent graduates of the college.

Last edited by Davita; Jul 23rd 2016 at 4:49 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 5:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Davita
From 1990 'till about 2012 I lived on the border between Tsawwassen and Point Roberts in BC. I kept a number of boats in Point Roberts Marina overtime and visited sometimes everyday and, at weekends, stayed on the boat as a holiday home.
Over that time-scale I've noticed the border guards become more and more like Gestapo.
I can understand the USA side behaving like that after the 9/11 and catching that guy crossing from Victoria to WA with a car full of bomb-making to blow-up San Francisco.....but the Canadian officers also seemed to have a change in attitude.
In the past I got to know some Canadian Officers and they would call me by name and flash me past after in-putting my wife's registered car which had a prefix XXX...this seemed to amuse the officers and they often wickedly asked..."How's the wife?"
Point Roberts used to be a bawdy hang-out 'till the Canadians opened Sunday drinking.

Now, if I cross, they say "where you been?" FFS Point Roberts is a peninsula only about 3km by 3km in size....I'd say the Marina...they ask "what you do there?" I'd say have lunch. They would say "what you bring back?" I'd say "nothing I didn't bring down except a full stomach." I didn't mention the couple of pints of Alaskan Ale I'd imbibed with my lunch.

BTW The Canadian Immigration/Customs officers at Point Roberts border post are predominately of Indian race. I think it's probably a short-term post for recent graduates of the college.
You made me laugh. I will not change where I cross. I just enjoy driving on the highway, putting my foot down and getting to my destination. The US border guards are fine they chat to me I err on the side of caution. It is just these two instances. The second one was all over in under five minutes because I had nothing to hide. Nevertheless the male officer was quite puzzled that I would drive a stick shift. Certain habits die hard and I enjoy my manual mazda 3.

Well we live in a different world now . I didn't know about the Victoria crossing incident. Well I just feel better talking about it.

Ruby
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 2:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by RubyRose
You made me laugh. I will not change where I cross. I just enjoy driving on the highway, putting my foot down and getting to my destination. The US border guards are fine they chat to me I err on the side of caution. It is just these two instances. The second one was all over in under five minutes because I had nothing to hide. Nevertheless the male officer was quite puzzled that I would drive a stick shift. Certain habits die hard and I enjoy my manual mazda 3.

Well we live in a different world now . I didn't know about the Victoria crossing incident. Well I just feel better talking about it.

Ruby
Hey, me too (both putting my foot down and stickshift) No idea why they would be puzzled at your car, most people in Europe do drive them.

Do you have a GOES profile with your Nexus card? See if this link helps you to try and update your citizenship info. NEXUS - Updates to personal information
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hey, me too (both putting my foot down and stickshift) No idea why they would be puzzled at your car, most people in Europe do drive them.

Do you have a GOES profile with your Nexus card? See if this link helps you to try and update your citizenship info. NEXUS - Updates to personal information
Gozit,

My citizenship has been updated to Canadian but my Nexus card has not been replaced, when I asked for it to be replace I was told by the officer in Vancouver that it wasn't necessary. I know that profiling is taking place on the basis of race, ethnicity, age etc. etc. If your face doesn't fit into their world view then you are going to be questioned.

The amusing thing is that the male officer who inspected my car hung on to my keys and he seemed to be fondling them.

Ruby.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by RubyRose
Gozit,

My citizenship has been updated to Canadian but my Nexus card has not been replaced, when I asked for it to be replace I was told by the officer in Vancouver that it wasn't necessary. I know that profiling is taking place on the basis of race, ethnicity, age etc. etc. If your face doesn't fit into their world view then you are going to be questioned.

The amusing thing is that the male officer who inspected my car hung on to my keys and he seemed to be fondling them.

Ruby.
OK. I see. IMO (and im pretty sure this is policy as well, though FL would have to confirm) acquiring Canadian citizenship warrants a replacement. Try phoning in or calling at a different centre.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

NEXUS cards are not issued locally. You can apply to have a card replaced if lost/stolen or the details are incorrect. One of the frequent problems are holders who during the 5 year validity either acquired Canadian citizenship or got married and changed their last name or got divorced and went back to their maiden name.
When flying into Canada its not a big deal as the kiosks work on iris recognition which doesn't change because you got new citizenship, married or divorced. You don't show your passport to a CBSA officer unless they ask to see it which is not normally the case.
When driving into the USA and using a NEXUS card as ID if your citizenship is not Canadian on the card but you have a Canadian passport then hand that over to the US officer and it may save you the trip inside the office.

The biggest problem area is with domestic security CATSA at Canadian airports. Those who applied for NEXUS cards and did not get a replacement card with their new name but used their new name when booking flights will now be showing a CATSA person a NEXUS card with one name and a boarding pass in another name.
Now God forbid that these CATSA agents start using common sense.

1. Does the photo on the NEXUS card look like the person giving it to you?
2. Is the reason why the names are different is that they have just got married or couldn't be arsed to pay the $25 for a replacement card.
3. They are going through security in an expedited lane so as long as the picture looks like the person in front of you why do you care?

Now of course some NEXUS/GLOBAL ENTRY card holders are too dumb to figure out that the GOES website has many answers to their questions on the website.
Top right hand corner of the page Q & A Frequently Asked Questions is a clue

https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/goes/common/FAQ.html

Even the CBSA website NEXUS section has a Frequently Asked Questions section
Frequently Asked Questions about the NEXUS Program

CBSA officers DO NOT racially profile officially and if proven we can lose our jobs or get into serious trouble.
So just lets say the IRA started back up who might I be looking for?

Im not saying it doesn't happen but certain factors when used for targeting individuals for closer examination DO work and produce results. Its how the officers deal with that person.
And yes I have had the race card used against me on several occasions.

You are only searching me because Im (insert here)

No Im searching you because you have had 3 x arrests for narcotics possession.
See the difference?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.