British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Nexus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/nexus-760972/)

Steve_ Jun 15th 2012 5:50 pm

Re: Nexus

Apparently the residency requirement for Canadian and US citizens will be scrapped soon as part of the border action plan.

Former Lancastrian Jun 15th 2012 6:08 pm

So someone answer this
If you have several thousand vehicles crossing the border between 2pm and midnight and only have say 4-6 traffic lanes for Customs clearance and its a 2 lane highway that turns into a bottleneck at the border and everyone has a NEXUS card ya think you arent going to wait in line?

Steve_ Jun 15th 2012 6:16 pm

Well yes, because the idea is that they're trying to use technology as much as possible to speed it up. On your entry system the person's entry record will appear automatically due to the RFID in the card, so you don't have to swipe their passport and don't have to ask as many questions.

I saw something in the news that they were thinking about converting some remote POEs into automatic systems, basically just a NEXUS machine sat at the booth with a supervisor sat there, a bit like the self-checkout at the supermarkets.

Also part of this plan is to expand the number of lanes at major crossings and they'll be NEXUS (and EDL).

And the commercial traffic should also get through faster due to the increase in pre-clearance inspections and a lot of duplicate US/Canada inspections will be eliminated.

Former Lancastrian Jun 15th 2012 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 10121345)
Well yes, because the idea is that they're trying to use technology as much as possible to speed it up. On your entry system the person's entry record will appear automatically due to the RFID in the card, so you don't have to swipe their passport and don't have to ask as many questions.

I saw something in the news that they were thinking about converting some remote POEs into automatic systems, basically just a NEXUS machine sat at the booth with a supervisor sat there, a bit like the self-checkout at the supermarkets.

Also part of this plan is to expand the number of lanes at major crossings and they'll be NEXUS (and EDL).

And the commercial traffic should also get through faster due to the increase in pre-clearance inspections and a lot of duplicate US/Canada inspections will be eliminated.

Technology is great when it works:lol:
The problem in some part lies with the same day shoppers having no personal exemptions and returning, the small minority of smugglers (undeclared booze and cigarettes, purchases and values of goods) spoiling it for the majority.
Sure the new exemptions will cut down on this but there are those who want to cheat the system plus the added fact that Organized criminal groups use the weekend shoppers to try and blend in. Those people wont have NEXUS cards and will still require processing and they could be in front of you in the line up.
Some border crossing are only big enough for 2 lanes so you are still stuck with limited clearance procedures.
Plus CBSA have budgetary restrictions placed on them (austerity measures) so will they have the funds and they are already pink slipping over 1100 bodies. True not all will lose their jobs but dont expect that 1100 all of a sudden to be posted to the land borders.
Challenges ahead for all me thinks.

Steve_ Jun 15th 2012 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 10121373)
Those people wont have NEXUS cards and will still require processing and they could be in front of you in the line up.
Some border crossing are only big enough for 2 lanes so you are still stuck with limited clearance procedures.

But that's the reason for adding more dedicated NEXUS lanes, to stop that from happening.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if one of the reasons for the cutbacks was to encourage CBSA to embrace this new technology, because I also read the union wasn't happy about the idea of having largely automated POEs in remote areas.

Well they won't have a choice if they can't staff them.

Former Lancastrian Jun 15th 2012 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 10121401)
But that's the reason for adding more dedicated NEXUS lanes, to stop that from happening.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if one of the reasons for the cutbacks was to encourage CBSA to embrace this new technology, because I also read the union wasn't happy about the idea of having largely automated POEs in remote areas.

Well they won't have a choice if they can't staff them.

Not trying to rain on your parade lol as you are bringing up some good points. If you only have room for 2 lanes its impossible to have more as some crossings are not large enough and neither is the road.
The union are also arguing the point that NEXUS and the other programmes are abused by a small minority and that machines cannot ask questions and can break down.
Sure the biometrics are useful but Ive seen people with NEXUS cards unable to operate the machines in my airport and walk away:confused:
Im not against trusted traveller programmes but hammer the non complying individuals and send out the warning.
What you will probably find is that some really smaller ports will close like they did last year and make travellers travel through only designated crossings which will only piss off the locals in the areas where they could cross as it will mean possibly a 20 to 40 mile detour.

Steve_ Sep 1st 2012 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 10110281)
The main problem at land borders is that you must be driving the vehicle in your NEXUS record, so you can't for example use a rental car. However it still helps because you can use your NEXUS card in the regular lanes as well, so you don't have to have your passport with you.

I just resurrected this thread because I made a mistake saying this, I got clarification from CBP and CBSA on this point and what I was originally told by the CBSA inspector at the NEXUS office is incorrect, you only have to list vehicles in your NEXUS record that are "under your control", e.g. registered to you, or a company vehicle. You can use a rental car for example to cross the border.

I got the impression they're more concerned about it at the Mexican border.