Nexus

Old Jun 8th 2012, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Monique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Nexus

once u have a Nexus card you can register for the Global Entry System, its BRILL!! no standing in line with everyone else, u get in the line that says Global Entry System/Cabin Crew.....Global Entry also allows u to fast track through customs too!!

I personally think its worth the $50 if u use it just once in a US airport rather than wait 3 hours to get through customs with the rest of the "lo life" (not that we are lo life, its how the US Immigration makes us feel)

here's a list of airports that have it

http://usa.immigrationvisaforms.com/...ating-airports
Old Jun 8th 2012, 2:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Monique_in_Canada
once u have a Nexus card you can register for the Global Entry System, its BRILL!! no standing in line with everyone else, u get in the line that says Global Entry System/Cabin Crew.....Global Entry also allows u to fast track through customs too!!

I personally think its worth the $50 if u use it just once in a US airport rather than wait 3 hours to get through customs with the rest of the "lo life" (not that we are lo life, its how the US Immigration makes us feel)

here's a list of airports that have it

http://usa.immigrationvisaforms.com/...ating-airports
I have to admit that I have never had to wait 3 hours to go through immigration/customs in the US. Even when travelling through locations such as LAX
Old Jun 8th 2012, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Monique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I have to admit that I have never had to wait 3 hours to go through immigration/customs in the US. Even when travelling through locations such as LAX

I did the first year McNamara opened...it had only been opened a few weeks, I ws coming home from the UK, and "in transit to Canada" as always....I got off the plane and ended up at the end of a line of wot it seemed like 4 airplane loads of lo life's....oopppps I mean visitors/illegal Aliens!!! 2 booths opened for us......and about 10 opened for Americans/Legal Aliens!!
Old Jun 8th 2012, 2:57 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Animal
Not in toronto - Eveyone is in the same queues at immigration.
Not from my knowledge, I haven't used it for a while but last time there was a nexus terminal over buy the air crew lane in International

Walk over.. retina scan.. walk through...

What you have to keep in mind is the little promise they give you when they hand the card over, break the rules, cheat smuggle even a little and we’ll throw the book at you, and we’ll red flag you for checking when you cross either border
Old Jun 8th 2012, 4:49 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_
The major advantage to having one is entering Canada, because you can use it entering Canada from anywhere, not just the US (although you can use the global entry booths at US airports as well)..
Thats really useful information. I thought it could only be used for Canada/US crossings.

Thanks.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 4:54 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
Thats really useful information. I thought it could only be used for Canada/US crossings.

Thanks.
YEah me too. We are looking into getting one.....................
Old Jun 8th 2012, 4:57 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Not from my knowledge, I haven't used it for a while but last time there was a nexus terminal over buy the air crew lane in International

Walk over.. retina scan.. walk through...

What you have to keep in mind is the little promise they give you when they hand the card over, break the rules, cheat smuggle even a little and we’ll throw the book at you, and we’ll red flag you for checking when you cross either border
I think Animal meant that whether you are a Canadian Citizen or not you still have to stand in the same line up for immigration, which is correct. (without having a Nexus card)

The Nexus line or should I say the lack of line makes it look VERY attractive and only $50 for 5 years.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 5:50 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollface
I think Animal meant that whether you are a Canadian Citizen or not you still have to stand in the same line up for immigration, which is correct. (without having a Nexus card)
a quick re-read and a little more attention to the context and I should have got that too
I'm off reacting and not thinking again...........
Old Jun 8th 2012, 9:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

NEXUS is a good alternative but it also has it drawbacks.
Great if using busy airports and wanting to bypass a few bodies in the domestic security lines if flying within Canada but is that an advantage your plane is still going to depart at its prescribed time unless you arrive late and see a long line up.
It has limited hours and times at land border crossings and all occupants of the vehicle must be NEXUS card holders so if you have one and the OH or kids dont then you are SOL. Check NEXUS operating hours and which days.
If found in violation of terms card is suspended so no NEXUS so back to waiting in line.
I eventually see lots of NEXUS card holders waiting in line to use the machines and impatiently waiting while the little old lady with a NEXUS card tries to figure out how to use the kiosks. Please step back, please come closer, please step back messages repeating themselves
Then you will see people moving back to the officer lines as it maybe quicker.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 7:34 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

NEXUS has saved me hassle on various occasions, it's definitely worth $50. I find I can usually get through immigration faster than the crew on the flight can. It's also much easier to carry than a passport, which is handy at land borders.

I heard that they're going to put the RFID chips into the new passports when they come out next year so on that basis NEXUS may not have such a big advantage anymore.

It has limited hours and times at land border crossings and all occupants of the vehicle must be NEXUS card holders
The main problem at land borders is that you must be driving the vehicle in your NEXUS record, so you can't for example use a rental car. However it still helps because you can use your NEXUS card in the regular lanes as well, so you don't have to have your passport with you.

There is a fair bit of bureaucracy with it, every time your immigration status changes, e.g. you get a US immigration status, citizenship, etc. you have to tell them, or you buy a new car as well.

I hoped that Alberta would issue an EDL, then it would have been simpler still, but they've decided not to.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

I used mine for the first time last week. And as far as I am concerned, it was worth every penny....

You cut straight to the front of the immigration line and security line-up.... Nexus machines are fast, especially back into Calgary.

Internal US flights also have a TSA pre-check scheme, need to look into it, but it gets you through security fast for domestics too..... I was somehow on it without really knowing what was going on!
Old Jun 11th 2012, 9:35 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Except when they're broken.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 9:50 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
The main problem at land borders is that you must be driving the vehicle in your NEXUS record, so you can't for example use a rental car.
This used to be the case with CANPAS but I don't think it matters fro Nexus anymore.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 7:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
This used to be the case with CANPAS but I don't think it matters fro Nexus anymore.
Note: If you are transporting persons into Canada or the U.S. who are not NEXUS members, you must use the regular lanes or risk having your membership card revoked.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 5:42 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by JonboyE
They point it out to me (or rather SHE, Mrs Jobsworth extraordinaire points it out to me) in no uncertain terms every time I go into the NEXUS office. "Remember if you ever get a new car you have to tell us or put it into the GOES website."

On the GOES website it specifically asks for "conveyance information" and it changes so frequently that they have specific buttons, "add vehicle" and "remove vehicle" so I'm pretty sure it is still a legal requirement.

This is why I wanted an EDL, because if you have an EDL you don't have to tell them anything about your vehicle.

I did ask CBP about the vehicle requirement awhile back, as I recall what they told me was that the NEXUS database and the SENTRI database are the same database, and for SENTRI they put a sticker on the specific vehicle you are using, so they must know what vehicle you are driving to stop fraud with the stickers at the POE. Which Mexicans are apparently known to do.

It is a pain though because you can't use a rental car. Like I said above, NEXUS is worth it because it does save you a load of hassle at the POE, which is the last thing you want after a long flight or drive but it is still very bureaucratic, it's just you can deal with most of it from home or the enrollment centre when you've got time to wrap your head around it.
Attached Thumbnails Nexus-capture.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.