British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Nexus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/nexus-760972/)

Miss Clinique Jun 7th 2012 2:31 pm

Nexus

From looking at the eligibility criteria for getting a nexus card, my understanding is that PR's can apply if you have lived in Canada for 3 years. Does anyone know if that is 3 years as a PR or will they count time as a temporary resident towards the 3 years.

Hobbess Jun 7th 2012 2:41 pm

Re: Nexus

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique (Post 10105833)
From looking at the eligibility criteria for getting a nexus card, my understanding is that PR's can apply if you have lived in Canada for 3 years. Does anyone know if that is 3 years as a PR or will they count time as a temporary resident towards the 3 years.

I'm going to say it's 3 year's of residency regardless of status.

I got my Nexus early this year and wasn't PR until mid 2009 so I've not quite been resident on PR for 3 years yet. I was on TWP and in Canada from 2006-2009 prior. I'd totally not noticed that piece when applying and it wasn't brought up in the application process.

Souvy Jun 7th 2012 2:50 pm

Do you actually need one? I looked at it a couple of years ago and decided that it wasn't worth the time and expense. If I travelled to the US weekly, then possibly. Otherwise a waste of time.

Hobbess Jun 7th 2012 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Souvy (Post 10105883)
Do you actually need one? I looked at it a couple of years ago and decided that it wasn't worth the time and expense. If I travelled to the US weekly, then possibly. Otherwise a waste of time.

For $50 for 5 years of eligibilty it's a pretty minor cost. I travel down a few times a year and it's well worth it for those early morning flights out of Calgary. Also coming back is way smoother especially if a few flights land at the same time.

I've even considered getting it for my whole family for the 1 trip a year we'd do.

Souvy Jun 7th 2012 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Hobbess (Post 10105892)
For $50 for 5 years of eligibilty it's a pretty minor cost. I travel down a few times a year and it's well worth it for those early morning flights out of Calgary. Also coming back is way smoother especially if a few flights land at the same time.

I've even considered getting it for my whole family for the 1 trip a year we'd do.

OK. That makes sense. I looked at in terms of total time (doing the paperwork, going to interview etc) compared to what time I'd possibly save. It didn't stack up.

Plus, I have a slight disinclination to giving the US authorities more information on myself than they need or have a right to know.

MikeUK Jun 7th 2012 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Souvy (Post 10105883)

I got it to avoid some issues with zealous border guards, however the biggest benefit is, as a well vetted traveler, now is access to the nexus domestic security line (Toronto & Montreal) which is faster and shorter in peak travel periods..

key point to note is that you still need an I-94 for land crossings and ESTA for Air travel, they'll brief you in the final stage of the application on what you'll need

I got mine with 3yrs PR

Souvy Jun 7th 2012 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by MikeUK (Post 10105918)
I got it to avoid some issues with zealous border guards, however the biggest benefit is, as a well vetted traveler, now is access to the nexus domestic security line (Toronto & Montreal) which is faster and shorter in peak travel periods..

key point to note is that you still need an I-94 for land crossings and ESTA for Air travel, they'll brief you in the final stage of the application on what you'll need

I got mine with 3yrs PR

One could, of course, get Cdn citizenship. That also makes immigration queues a bit shorter.

Hobbess Jun 7th 2012 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Souvy (Post 10106005)
One could, of course, get Cdn citizenship. That also makes immigration queues a bit shorter.

Not any quicker than having Residency when coming back to Calgary at least. The line seperates into 3 for Nexus, residents and everyone else.

It would make a small difference going to the US as you'd have a few less steps when actually talking to the officer - no finger printing etc, but you'd still be standing in the long line to get there. Again just based on my Calgary experience.

Miss Clinique Jun 7th 2012 4:20 pm

Thanks everyone :thumbup:

Going to get our online application in ASAP.

MikeUK Jun 7th 2012 5:16 pm

that is slowly in progress but as with anything involving the Canadian goverment it takes years, nexus is quicker.........

Miss Clinique Jun 7th 2012 5:28 pm

It will be years before we get citizenship. we can apply next spring, but when I think of how much time I spend out of Canada on trips back to the UK, plus vacation time to other destinations, it will push me back further. Then add the processing time, who knows when it will be.

Steve_ Jun 8th 2012 8:15 am

You merely need to have lived in Canada and/or the US for the past three years legally, you don't even need to be a PR. I had a NEXUS card before I was a citizen.

The major advantage to having one is entering Canada, because you can use it entering Canada from anywhere, not just the US (although you can use the global entry booths at US airports as well).

If you're not a citizen, you still have to get an I-94 and go through US-VISIT when entering the US.

The main thing you have to bear in mind I think is that you must still have your passport with you when travelling by air, this is an IATA requirement, you have to show it at check-in, but CBP and CBSA don't look at it anymore (if you have a visa in your passport that you are using, you have to report this to the NEXUS office and they add it to your NEXUS record).

BTW, the CBSA inspector at YYC in the NEXUS office is a real jobsworth.

Almost Canadian Jun 8th 2012 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Hobbess (Post 10106013)
Not any quicker than having Residency when coming back to Calgary at least. The line seperates into 3 for Nexus, residents and everyone else.

It would make a small difference going to the US as you'd have a few less steps when actually talking to the officer - no finger printing etc, but you'd still be standing in the long line to get there. Again just based on my Calgary experience.

Have they changed the lines at Calgary then? I always thought they processed everyone together (citizens, PRs, TWPs and visitors). I have never noticed the Nexus line but, from what others are saying on here, I assume they must have one.

Hobbess Jun 8th 2012 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 10107746)
Have they changed the lines at Calgary then? I always thought they processed everyone together (citizens, PRs, TWPs and visitors). I have never noticed the Nexus line but, from what others are saying on here, I assume they must have one.

They've had the seperate line for Nexus at Canadian immigration for a few years now. It's also now even quicker as once you get your Nexus ticket you don't even need to stop to speak to anyone, just carry on to baggage collection.

Also I think it was last year that they split the main herd into residents and visitors. Not sure that makes a huge difference when coming back from the US, but when flying in from the UK it does.

Animal Jun 8th 2012 2:12 pm

Not in toronto - Eveyone is in the same queues at immigration.

Monique_in_Canada Jun 8th 2012 2:32 pm

once u have a Nexus card you can register for the Global Entry System, its BRILL!! no standing in line with everyone else, u get in the line that says Global Entry System/Cabin Crew.....Global Entry also allows u to fast track through customs too!!

I personally think its worth the $50 if u use it just once in a US airport rather than wait 3 hours to get through customs with the rest of the "lo life" (not that we are lo life, its how the US Immigration makes us feel)

here's a list of airports that have it

http://usa.immigrationvisaforms.com/...ating-airports

Almost Canadian Jun 8th 2012 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Monique_in_Canada (Post 10107950)
once u have a Nexus card you can register for the Global Entry System, its BRILL!! no standing in line with everyone else, u get in the line that says Global Entry System/Cabin Crew.....Global Entry also allows u to fast track through customs too!!

I personally think its worth the $50 if u use it just once in a US airport rather than wait 3 hours to get through customs with the rest of the "lo life" (not that we are lo life, its how the US Immigration makes us feel)

here's a list of airports that have it

http://usa.immigrationvisaforms.com/...ating-airports

I have to admit that I have never had to wait 3 hours to go through immigration/customs in the US. Even when travelling through locations such as LAX

Monique_in_Canada Jun 8th 2012 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 10107979)
I have to admit that I have never had to wait 3 hours to go through immigration/customs in the US. Even when travelling through locations such as LAX

I did the first year McNamara opened...it had only been opened a few weeks, I ws coming home from the UK, and "in transit to Canada" as always....I got off the plane and ended up at the end of a line of wot it seemed like 4 airplane loads of lo life's....oopppps I mean visitors/illegal Aliens!!! 2 booths opened for us......and about 10 opened for Americans/Legal Aliens!!

MikeUK Jun 8th 2012 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Animal (Post 10107885)
Not in toronto - Eveyone is in the same queues at immigration.

Not from my knowledge, I haven't used it for a while but last time there was a nexus terminal over buy the air crew lane in International

Walk over.. retina scan.. walk through...

What you have to keep in mind is the little promise they give you when they hand the card over, break the rules, cheat smuggle even a little and we’ll throw the book at you, and we’ll red flag you for checking when you cross either border

Miss Clinique Jun 8th 2012 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 10107281)
The major advantage to having one is entering Canada, because you can use it entering Canada from anywhere, not just the US (although you can use the global entry booths at US airports as well)..

Thats really useful information. I thought it could only be used for Canada/US crossings.

Thanks.

dollface Jun 8th 2012 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique (Post 10108199)
Thats really useful information. I thought it could only be used for Canada/US crossings.

Thanks.

YEah me too. We are looking into getting one.....................

dollface Jun 8th 2012 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by MikeUK (Post 10108006)
Not from my knowledge, I haven't used it for a while but last time there was a nexus terminal over buy the air crew lane in International

Walk over.. retina scan.. walk through...

What you have to keep in mind is the little promise they give you when they hand the card over, break the rules, cheat smuggle even a little and we’ll throw the book at you, and we’ll red flag you for checking when you cross either border

I think Animal meant that whether you are a Canadian Citizen or not you still have to stand in the same line up for immigration, which is correct. (without having a Nexus card)

The Nexus line or should I say the lack of line makes it look VERY attractive and only $50 for 5 years.

MikeUK Jun 8th 2012 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by dollface (Post 10108209)
I think Animal meant that whether you are a Canadian Citizen or not you still have to stand in the same line up for immigration, which is correct. (without having a Nexus card)

a quick re-read and a little more attention to the context and I should have got that too :(
I'm off reacting and not thinking again...........

Former Lancastrian Jun 8th 2012 9:19 pm

NEXUS is a good alternative but it also has it drawbacks.
Great if using busy airports and wanting to bypass a few bodies in the domestic security lines if flying within Canada but is that an advantage your plane is still going to depart at its prescribed time unless you arrive late and see a long line up.
It has limited hours and times at land border crossings and all occupants of the vehicle must be NEXUS card holders so if you have one and the OH or kids dont then you are SOL. Check NEXUS operating hours and which days.
If found in violation of terms card is suspended so no NEXUS so back to waiting in line.
I eventually see lots of NEXUS card holders waiting in line to use the machines and impatiently waiting while the little old lady with a NEXUS card tries to figure out how to use the kiosks. Please step back, please come closer, please step back messages repeating themselves:lol:
Then you will see people moving back to the officer lines as it maybe quicker.

Steve_ Jun 10th 2012 7:34 am

NEXUS has saved me hassle on various occasions, it's definitely worth $50. I find I can usually get through immigration faster than the crew on the flight can. It's also much easier to carry than a passport, which is handy at land borders.

I heard that they're going to put the RFID chips into the new passports when they come out next year so on that basis NEXUS may not have such a big advantage anymore.

It has limited hours and times at land border crossings and all occupants of the vehicle must be NEXUS card holders
The main problem at land borders is that you must be driving the vehicle in your NEXUS record, so you can't for example use a rental car. However it still helps because you can use your NEXUS card in the regular lanes as well, so you don't have to have your passport with you.

There is a fair bit of bureaucracy with it, every time your immigration status changes, e.g. you get a US immigration status, citizenship, etc. you have to tell them, or you buy a new car as well.

I hoped that Alberta would issue an EDL, then it would have been simpler still, but they've decided not to.

Ramsey Jun 11th 2012 9:20 pm

I used mine for the first time last week. And as far as I am concerned, it was worth every penny....

You cut straight to the front of the immigration line and security line-up.... Nexus machines are fast, especially back into Calgary.

Internal US flights also have a TSA pre-check scheme, need to look into it, but it gets you through security fast for domestics too..... I was somehow on it without really knowing what was going on!

Steve_ Jun 11th 2012 9:35 pm

Except when they're broken.

JonboyE Jun 11th 2012 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 10110281)
The main problem at land borders is that you must be driving the vehicle in your NEXUS record, so you can't for example use a rental car.

This used to be the case with CANPAS but I don't think it matters fro Nexus anymore.

Former Lancastrian Jun 12th 2012 7:01 am

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 10113424)
This used to be the case with CANPAS but I don't think it matters fro Nexus anymore.

Note: If you are transporting persons into Canada or the U.S. who are not NEXUS members, you must use the regular lanes or risk having your membership card revoked.

Steve_ Jun 12th 2012 5:42 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 10113424)

They point it out to me (or rather SHE, Mrs Jobsworth extraordinaire points it out to me) in no uncertain terms every time I go into the NEXUS office. "Remember if you ever get a new car you have to tell us or put it into the GOES website."

On the GOES website it specifically asks for "conveyance information" and it changes so frequently that they have specific buttons, "add vehicle" and "remove vehicle" so I'm pretty sure it is still a legal requirement.

This is why I wanted an EDL, because if you have an EDL you don't have to tell them anything about your vehicle.

I did ask CBP about the vehicle requirement awhile back, as I recall what they told me was that the NEXUS database and the SENTRI database are the same database, and for SENTRI they put a sticker on the specific vehicle you are using, so they must know what vehicle you are driving to stop fraud with the stickers at the POE. Which Mexicans are apparently known to do.

It is a pain though because you can't use a rental car. Like I said above, NEXUS is worth it because it does save you a load of hassle at the POE, which is the last thing you want after a long flight or drive but it is still very bureaucratic, it's just you can deal with most of it from home or the enrollment centre when you've got time to wrap your head around it.

Steve_ Jun 15th 2012 5:50 pm

Apparently the residency requirement for Canadian and US citizens will be scrapped soon as part of the border action plan.

Former Lancastrian Jun 15th 2012 6:08 pm

So someone answer this
If you have several thousand vehicles crossing the border between 2pm and midnight and only have say 4-6 traffic lanes for Customs clearance and its a 2 lane highway that turns into a bottleneck at the border and everyone has a NEXUS card ya think you arent going to wait in line?

Steve_ Jun 15th 2012 6:16 pm

Well yes, because the idea is that they're trying to use technology as much as possible to speed it up. On your entry system the person's entry record will appear automatically due to the RFID in the card, so you don't have to swipe their passport and don't have to ask as many questions.

I saw something in the news that they were thinking about converting some remote POEs into automatic systems, basically just a NEXUS machine sat at the booth with a supervisor sat there, a bit like the self-checkout at the supermarkets.

Also part of this plan is to expand the number of lanes at major crossings and they'll be NEXUS (and EDL).

And the commercial traffic should also get through faster due to the increase in pre-clearance inspections and a lot of duplicate US/Canada inspections will be eliminated.

Former Lancastrian Jun 15th 2012 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 10121345)
Well yes, because the idea is that they're trying to use technology as much as possible to speed it up. On your entry system the person's entry record will appear automatically due to the RFID in the card, so you don't have to swipe their passport and don't have to ask as many questions.

I saw something in the news that they were thinking about converting some remote POEs into automatic systems, basically just a NEXUS machine sat at the booth with a supervisor sat there, a bit like the self-checkout at the supermarkets.

Also part of this plan is to expand the number of lanes at major crossings and they'll be NEXUS (and EDL).

And the commercial traffic should also get through faster due to the increase in pre-clearance inspections and a lot of duplicate US/Canada inspections will be eliminated.

Technology is great when it works:lol:
The problem in some part lies with the same day shoppers having no personal exemptions and returning, the small minority of smugglers (undeclared booze and cigarettes, purchases and values of goods) spoiling it for the majority.
Sure the new exemptions will cut down on this but there are those who want to cheat the system plus the added fact that Organized criminal groups use the weekend shoppers to try and blend in. Those people wont have NEXUS cards and will still require processing and they could be in front of you in the line up.
Some border crossing are only big enough for 2 lanes so you are still stuck with limited clearance procedures.
Plus CBSA have budgetary restrictions placed on them (austerity measures) so will they have the funds and they are already pink slipping over 1100 bodies. True not all will lose their jobs but dont expect that 1100 all of a sudden to be posted to the land borders.
Challenges ahead for all me thinks.

Steve_ Jun 15th 2012 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 10121373)
Those people wont have NEXUS cards and will still require processing and they could be in front of you in the line up.
Some border crossing are only big enough for 2 lanes so you are still stuck with limited clearance procedures.

But that's the reason for adding more dedicated NEXUS lanes, to stop that from happening.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if one of the reasons for the cutbacks was to encourage CBSA to embrace this new technology, because I also read the union wasn't happy about the idea of having largely automated POEs in remote areas.

Well they won't have a choice if they can't staff them.

Former Lancastrian Jun 15th 2012 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 10121401)
But that's the reason for adding more dedicated NEXUS lanes, to stop that from happening.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if one of the reasons for the cutbacks was to encourage CBSA to embrace this new technology, because I also read the union wasn't happy about the idea of having largely automated POEs in remote areas.

Well they won't have a choice if they can't staff them.

Not trying to rain on your parade lol as you are bringing up some good points. If you only have room for 2 lanes its impossible to have more as some crossings are not large enough and neither is the road.
The union are also arguing the point that NEXUS and the other programmes are abused by a small minority and that machines cannot ask questions and can break down.
Sure the biometrics are useful but Ive seen people with NEXUS cards unable to operate the machines in my airport and walk away:confused:
Im not against trusted traveller programmes but hammer the non complying individuals and send out the warning.
What you will probably find is that some really smaller ports will close like they did last year and make travellers travel through only designated crossings which will only piss off the locals in the areas where they could cross as it will mean possibly a 20 to 40 mile detour.

Steve_ Sep 1st 2012 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 10110281)
The main problem at land borders is that you must be driving the vehicle in your NEXUS record, so you can't for example use a rental car. However it still helps because you can use your NEXUS card in the regular lanes as well, so you don't have to have your passport with you.

I just resurrected this thread because I made a mistake saying this, I got clarification from CBP and CBSA on this point and what I was originally told by the CBSA inspector at the NEXUS office is incorrect, you only have to list vehicles in your NEXUS record that are "under your control", e.g. registered to you, or a company vehicle. You can use a rental car for example to cross the border.

I got the impression they're more concerned about it at the Mexican border.