Reload this Page >

Newly qualified social worker wanting to move and practice in Canada

Newly qualified social worker wanting to move and practice in Canada

Old Oct 20th 2019, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

UksimoneUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Newly qualified social worker wanting to move and practice in Canada

Hi Everyone,
I am wondering if anyone can help me as the information on the internet is really confusing me. I have recently finished my integrated practice in learning disabilities nursing and social work degree in England. I would like to migrate to Canada in a few years when I have saved up enough money and gained some experience in the field. I did want to go over as a nurse but from what I have been reading everywhere it seems very difficult and I do not think they recognise learning disability nursing. Therefore, I am thinking to take up the social work side of my degree and become a social worker in Canada. The provinces I have in mind are BC or Alberta. Do they recognise the English social work degree in these provinces? What do I need to do to get the ball rolling? I am thinking to apply for both provinces to keep my options open in terms of finding work.

Any advice and tips will be much appreciated!!

Simone
Old Oct 20th 2019, 3:58 pm

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newly qualified social worker wanting to move and practice in Canada

Hello and welcome to BE

To be able to work as a social worker you would need to have your qualification assessed for registration with one of the Provincial regulatory bodies. You will need some experience before being able to apply for Provincial Certification I believe.
https://www.casw-acts.ca/en/node/21/...ulatory-bodies
Old Oct 21st 2019, 1:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newly qualified social worker wanting to move and practice in Canada

https://alis.alberta.ca/occinfo/cert...social-worker/

You may already have found the above link which will assist a little. My gut feeling though (and I don't want to rain on your parade) is that to progress in this field, you may want to consider a Masters in due course. No rush, just something to be aware of....
Old Oct 21st 2019, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

UksimoneUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you both for the advice. Do you think I would be able to work as a social worker at a lower level until I get my masters if that makes sense?

x
Old Oct 25th 2019, 2:36 am
BE Enthusiast

englishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of light

Contact the Ontario College of Social Workers; they will tell you if your qualifications with proof of professional practice will qualify for you to register with them and if it will allow you to get your license to practice here straight away.