Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Newly qualified adult nurse (age 39)

Newly qualified adult nurse (age 39)

Old Nov 1st 2020, 4:57 am
Just Joined

Kimberly82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newly qualified adult nurse (age 39)

Newly qualified a daily nurse.
hello I will be graduating Dec 2021 as a RN adult nurse.
how many years experience would I need before I could move over to Canada from the UK.it will be with my husband and 3 children. Thinking of Ontario. I have done then 2300 clinical practice hours.

could some help me with a little advice please?

Thank you.
Old Nov 1st 2020, 12:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newly qualified adult nurse (age 39)

Originally Posted by Kimberly82
how many years experience would I need before I could move over to Canada from the UK.it will be with my husband and 3 children. Thinking of Ontario. I have done then 2300 clinical practice hours.

Thank you.
Hi, and welcome to BE. What's your planned visa route and would you be the principal applicant or your husband? Work experience requirements will vary depending on that.

Those in the know will be along to help shortly with what you'd need to actually be able to work as a nurse in Canada, be prepared for a long and expensive process, if you do a search of the forum you'll find tons of threads with more info about it.

Best of luck.

Old Nov 1st 2020, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

Hello,

well I am hoping to go as the main visa applicant as I have the skills nor does my husband. I am not sure what visa I could go with to be honest with you?

hope I hear with some advice.

thank you.
Old Nov 1st 2020, 2:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

well I am hoping to go as the main visa applicant as I have the skills nor does my husband. I am not sure what visa I could go with to be honest with you?
OK, so that's your first step, check to see if you would qualify for a visa without a job offer/sponsorship. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...nada-tool.html You may not qualify for a visa until you've worked as a nurse for a year, but it will depend on what you've done previously for a job and which visa route you qualify for, if it says no then answer it as if you've worked as a nurse for a year and see if that changes it. If it asks you about English exam results, then just assume max points for now as a native speaker, it's only to give you an idea. What does your husband do and is he by any chance younger than you? It's just that unfortunately your age will go against you.

And one more thing, do you have a nursing degree or diploma? I believe it makes a difference as to where you can work, so may be worth mentioning so other nurses can advise on that.
Old Nov 1st 2020, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

Hello,

thank you for your reply.
I will have got a adult nursing degree.
my husband is a year older then me, he is a HGV driver.
and English is my main language. Whilst training for a nurse I will have 2300 practice hours in different settings and been a Health care assistant since 2011.

Old Nov 1st 2020, 3:48 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you.
Hello! Lots of information on qualifying to work as a nurse in our Wiki https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Nursing-Canada and tons of threads on our Canada forum - If you click on advanced search you can input 'Nurse' as the search word, select 'threads' as where to search .. and 'Canada and child forums' as the forum to search.

Old Nov 1st 2020, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

Hello,

thank you for that, much appreciated.

Old Nov 1st 2020, 11:50 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Hello,

thank you for that, much appreciated.

1. Your difficulty in qualifying will be your age. As you will only get 45 points at the age of 40.
Old Nov 2nd 2020, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Getting registered as a RN in Canada with UK training is long and expensive with the likelihood of having to complete make up courses as Canadian training is general unlike the UK that is specialized. Also CNO is notorious for taking over 12 months on applications from outside Canada and jobs are not easy although some will depend where in Ontario you want to live. Expect to start as a casual nurse first if lucky. Suggest a search for the threads on nursing in this forum
Old Nov 7th 2020, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

lauriet465 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey,
I just posted my experience in one of the other threads... I'll try link it, post #96 UK nurse moving to Canada

I have spent a ton of money both on my visa application, funds in my bank to show immigration (to support a household of 2 people for 6 months) and now taking courses at around $1000 each (4 in total).

I'm happy to help with any questions as I've done the whole process, from visa to nursing (although working on the nursing part...3 years later).

Laurie

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 7th 2020 at 10:36 pm.