Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Newly landed PR, can I claim benefits?

Newly landed PR, can I claim benefits?

Old Mar 27th 2020, 8:56 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Lucyjane's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2019
Location: Calgary and UK
Posts: 57
Lucyjane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newly landed PR, can I claim benefits?

Hi,
I recently landed in Canada as a PR as my Spouse is Canadian.
Had amazing interviews and received job offers but now they have been retracted as the stores have all closed during this turbulent climate we are all facing.

i was just wondering what the rules are regarding claiming if anything an emergency fund?

in all honesty I would have gone back to England to work but everything has closed there as well.
I just feel a bit stuck money wise.
spouse is obviously supporting me and we have funds but I technically should have been working nearly 3 weeks by now if they hadn’t closed.

thank you in advance

Lucy
Lucyjane is offline  
Old Mar 28th 2020, 3:54 am
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
Snowy560's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 3,229
Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newly landed PR, can I claim benefits?

if your husband sponsored you he will have signed an undertaking which means he is legally required to support you financially and will have to pay back any money you claim in welfare benefits/social assistance for a period of 3 years after you become a Permanent Resident.
i don't know if the new emergency provisions count as social assistance.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1355&top=14


Last edited by Snowy560; Mar 28th 2020 at 4:08 am.
Snowy560 is offline  
Old Mar 28th 2020, 4:23 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Lucyjane's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2019
Location: Calgary and UK
Posts: 57
Lucyjane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Newly landed PR, can I claim benefits?

We won’t claim anything, I was just double checking in case. I just want to work!
thank you so much for the response
stay safe and well
Lucyjane is offline  
Old Mar 28th 2020, 3:47 pm
  #4  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 32,567
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newly landed PR, can I claim benefits?

Originally Posted by Lucyjane View Post
spouse is obviously supporting me and we have funds but I technically should have been working nearly 3 weeks by now if they hadn’t closed.
Maybe I'm missing something, but if you have funds and can survive on your spouse's salary, then why would you need/want/be eligible for benefits anyway? They're usually reserved for those truly in need.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Mar 28th 2020, 4:00 pm
  #5  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 86,982
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newly landed PR, can I claim benefits?

Originally Posted by Lucyjane View Post
We won’t claim anything, I was just double checking in case. I just want to work!
thank you so much for the response
stay safe and well

so do millions of Canadians...people with no funds or family to support them. Heck...some are even losing the roof over their heads. I am sorry you have moved at such an uncertain time...but things are tough and are likely to get much tougher.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Mar 28th 2020, 6:06 pm
  #6  
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
PMM's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 9,708
PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newly landed PR, can I claim benefits?

Hi

Originally Posted by Lucyjane View Post
Hi,
I recently landed in Canada as a PR as my Spouse is Canadian.
Had amazing interviews and received job offers but now they have been retracted as the stores have all closed during this turbulent climate we are all facing.

i was just wondering what the rules are regarding claiming if anything an emergency fund?

in all honesty I would have gone back to England to work but everything has closed there as well.
I just feel a bit stuck money wise.
spouse is obviously supporting me and we have funds but I technically should have been working nearly 3 weeks by now if they hadn’t closed.

thank you in advance

Lucy
1. One of the criteria for CERB is $5K of Income from a Canadian job in the previous 5 months.
PMM is offline  
Old Mar 29th 2020, 4:35 pm
  #7  
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 19,879
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newly landed PR, can I claim benefits?

Originally Posted by Lucyjane View Post
Hi,
I recently landed in Canada as a PR as my Spouse is Canadian.
Had amazing interviews and received job offers but now they have been retracted as the stores have all closed during this turbulent climate we are all facing.

i was just wondering what the rules are regarding claiming if anything an emergency fund?

in all honesty I would have gone back to England to work but everything has closed there as well.
I just feel a bit stuck money wise.
spouse is obviously supporting me and we have funds but I technically should have been working nearly 3 weeks by now if they hadn’t closed.

thank you in advance

Lucy
As has been mentioned, your spouse is financially liable for all your expenses - they signed an undertaking. Apart from that as you haven't made any financial contribution to Canada through EI / CPP / Taxes yet, you wouldn't qualify.. although your spouse might be able to claim for both of you, if they have been laid off / become ill!

You might be able to claim something in the UK, if you have only just moved here... perhaps... https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ed-by-covid-19
Stay well, stay safe
Siouxie is offline  
Old Mar 29th 2020, 6:50 pm
  #8  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 0
scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newly landed PR, can I claim benefits?

I have been in Canada for 15 years, was in between jobs and should have been working by now at the new job, but they too cancelled because of this situation, and so far none of the programs announced even pertain to me, so I highly doubt you would be able to get anything having never worked in Canada.


scrubbedexpat091 is offline  
Old Mar 30th 2020, 3:12 am
  #9  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Lucyjane's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2019
Location: Calgary and UK
Posts: 57
Lucyjane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Newly landed PR, can I claim benefits?

Thank you for the replies PMM and Souixie.
Lucyjane is offline  
Old Apr 1st 2020, 3:29 am
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 97
jeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newly landed PR, can I claim benefits?

Hi
As i understand it

the only way you could claim is if you separated

from day one, the spouse who sponsored has to pay anything you claim until the 3yrs is up


the was a scam i read about

a few years ago an older man married a younger woman, she came to canada and left him
he was stuck with her living costs for 3yrs as he had signed the sponsorship forms

she claimed the government depts just billed him

cheers
jerry

jeremy brewer is offline  
Old Apr 13th 2020, 6:43 pm
  #11  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 179
CRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newly landed PR, can I claim benefits?

Originally Posted by Snowy560 View Post
if your husband sponsored you he will have signed an undertaking which means he is legally required to support you financially and will have to pay back any money you claim in welfare benefits/social assistance for a period of 3 years after you become a Permanent Resident.
i don't know if the new emergency provisions count as social assistance.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpce...um=1355&top=14

I have been told by several sources (some more reliable than others) that what your sponsor is actually liable for is very specific, at least in terms of government/ benefits debt and what they will be 'billed' for.

The term is that they must repay "social assistance" which is applied for by the sponsored person. Ontario, at least only has 2 social assistance programs as far as I am aware. Ontario works, and OSDP. So my understanding is that the sponsor is not liable for things like E.I, GST cheques, CERB etc. I think technically they are liable for the clothes on your back if you really wanted to push the boat, but you'd have to report them I imagine for not meeting those kinds of things. I am more so talking about the debts the government will actually chase you for without the sponsored person reporting their situation to say, social services or something for example .

I will add that I am not an expert. This is just what I have been told. And have looked what "social assistance" is offered in my province of which I did indeed confirm there are only 2 as stated above.

Someone correct me please if they know otherwise

CRAY is offline  
Old Apr 13th 2020, 8:24 pm
  #12  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 32,567
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newly landed PR, can I claim benefits?

Originally Posted by CRAY View Post
I have been told by several sources (some more reliable than others) that what your sponsor is actually liable for is very specific, at least in terms of government/ benefits debt and what they will be 'billed' for.

The term is that they must repay "social assistance" which is applied for by the sponsored person. Ontario, at least only has 2 social assistance programs as far as I am aware. Ontario works, and OSDP. So my understanding is that the sponsor is not liable for things like E.I, GST cheques, CERB etc. I think technically they are liable for the clothes on your back if you really wanted to push the boat, but you'd have to report them I imagine for not meeting those kinds of things. I am more so talking about the debts the government will actually chase you for without the sponsored person reporting their situation to say, social services or something for example .

I will add that I am not an expert. This is just what I have been told. And have looked what "social assistance" is offered in my province of which I did indeed confirm there are only 2 as stated above.

Someone correct me please if they know otherwise
Here is ‘social services’ as outlined in the regulations -

“social services means any social services, such as home care, specialized residence and residential services, special education services, social and vocational rehabilitation services, personal support services and the provision of devices related to those services,
  • (a) that are intended to assist a person in functioning physically, emotionally, socially, psychologically or vocationally; and
  • (b) for which the majority of the funding, including funding that provides direct or indirect financial support to an assisted person, is contributed by governments, either directly or through publicly-funded agencies.”

    And here’s Ontario’s info - https://www.mcss.gov.on.ca/en/mcss/p...irectives.aspx

    HTH
christmasoompa is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.