Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

newcomers to Victoria, Vancouver Island :)

newcomers to Victoria, Vancouver Island :)

Old Oct 18th 2012, 3:55 am
Just Joined

lesley1984 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile newcomers to Victoria, Vancouver Island :)

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I have recently relocated to Victoria, Bc with our 2.5 year old little boy

Im just reaching out to see if anybody else on here is new to the area aswell. Im hoping to arrange some kind of meet up for parents and kids to get to know people in the area and make new friends, both the adults and kids

Absolutely loving living here and now its raining it even reminds me of home Although, as IM from the north west I still talk way to quickly for any Canadians to understand me..haha!! I need British friends who will know what Im saying..haha.

Hope to connect with others in the area

Old Oct 18th 2012, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

SteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant future
Default Re: newcomers to Victoria, Vancouver Island :)

Hi,

Can't say I'm new here - been on the Island for over 11 years now and kids are older - found the best way to meet people has been through schools or various sports (tons of sports on the Island to choose from) and of course work.

I know what you mean about the accent/understanding thing - just slow down a little and 99.99% of people will be just fine.

Cheers - Steve

Originally Posted by lesley1984
Hi Everyone,

My husband and I have recently relocated to Victoria, Bc with our 2.5 year old little boy

Im just reaching out to see if anybody else on here is new to the area aswell. Im hoping to arrange some kind of meet up for parents and kids to get to know people in the area and make new friends, both the adults and kids

Absolutely loving living here and now its raining it even reminds me of home Although, as IM from the north west I still talk way to quickly for any Canadians to understand me..haha!! I need British friends who will know what Im saying..haha.

Old Oct 18th 2012, 12:41 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

We're planning on moving over (Sooke area) early March 2012. No kids, but do understand Northerners no matter how fast they speak

Actually our third visit is coming up in a few weeks. We're coming over mid Nov for three weeks. We've only ever visited in winter and we still want to move over

Good luck settling in

Last edited by james.mc; Oct 18th 2012 at 12:44 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2012, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

charlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Welcome to Victoria.
Not a newcomer, been here since 2004, and my kids are older than yours at 16,13 and 10, but the other poster is right.
Join classes and groups with your little one and you will soon meet people. One of my closest friends, I met at Oak Bay Rec at swimming classes with my daughter who was 2.5 at the time.
Message me if you want to meet for a cup of tea or need any advice.
Charlotte
Old Oct 18th 2012, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

susieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant future

We moved to Victoria a couple of months ago with our 4-yr-old and 2-yr-old. I'll PM you.
Old Oct 20th 2012, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

Juliet C is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lesley1984
Hi Everyone,

Hi

I'm originally from Essex but lived up in the North West for 15 years before moving to Victoria 15 months ago. I have a 3 year old girl and only work Fri/Sat/Sun so always ready to meet up if you wish, PM me your details and we will sort something out.

I've met Suzie so maybe us three could meet up?

Jue

Last edited by Juliet C; Oct 20th 2012 at 3:48 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2012, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

susieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Juliet C
Hi

I'm originally from Essex but lived up in the North West for 15 years before moving to Victoria 15 months ago. I have a 3 year old girl and only work Fri/Sat/Sun so always ready to meet up if you wish, PM me your details and we will sort something out.

I've met Suzie so maybe us three could meet up?

Jue
That's a great idea.
Old Oct 20th 2012, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

mycalgary is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome!
Old Oct 21st 2012, 12:48 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the Island. We live in Mill Bay about 35/40 mins north of victoria. If you have any questions we'd be very happy to help. We have some friends (English) with 2 girls, 3 and 18 months who've been here 3 months ish. How old are your kids?
Old Oct 21st 2012, 12:49 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, just seen your original post that your sone is 2.5!!
Old Oct 21st 2012, 7:16 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Welcome to the Island. We live in Mill Bay about 35/40 mins north of victoria. If you have any questions we'd be very happy to help. We have some friends (English) with 2 girls, 3 and 18 months who've been here 3 months ish. How old are your kids?
Not far from where we are heading... East Sooke.
Old Oct 21st 2012, 11:47 pm
"In cruce vincam"

Originally Posted by james.mc
Not far from where we are heading... East Sooke.
What takes you to East Sooke? It's a nice area but a bit out of the way and the schools are reputed to be a bit iffy. Our best friends - who live in Metchosin - send their kids to a private Montessori school rather than the local one because they don't rate it at all.
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 8:00 pm
All Sooked up!

Sorry missed your post.. almost 2 weeks ago

We currently live in the Algarve countryside, and have done for the last 10 years almost. We like country style living and have found a nice house out East Sooke way. My Dad lives in Victoria, but we don't fancy living in any town/built up area. We don't have kids, so schooling is not an issue for us.

I guess what took us there was my father and his wife showing us around the general area. One sunny day, a couple of winters back, they drove us out that way. Initially along the Colwood crawl (I think it's called) for a while (out of rush hour) then on to Ma's Cafe in Sooke where I couldn't finish the lunch I ordered.. it was huge!!!
After that we took a drive a little further North along the coast and back We liked Sooke and liked East Sooke also, but have only ever visited in winter. Looking forward to our first summer there when we move over next March (assuming CIC allow it to be that way).

We're flying over 12th November for three weeks and will be based in Sooke for the period.. we will have a car so will be trying to get around and build up some local knowledge at the same time. That'll be day 1 What we'll do after that is anyones guess

Drop me a line if you fancy a meet up. We'd be more than happy to pop over (any time of the week/day) to Mill Bay and say Hi! over coffee or something

Last edited by james.mc; Nov 3rd 2012 at 8:20 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Largo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by james.mc
Sorry missed your post.. almost 2 weeks ago

We currently live in the Algarve countryside, and have done for the last 10 years almost. We like country style living and have found a nice house out East Sooke way. My Dad lives in Victoria, but we don't fancy living in any town/built up area. We don't have kids, so schooling is not an issue for us.

I guess what took us there was my father and his wife showing us around the general area. One sunny day, a couple of winters back, they drove us out that way. Initially along the Colwood crawl (I think it's called) for a while (out of rush hour) then on to Ma's Cafe in Sooke where I couldn't finish the lunch I ordered.. it was huge!!! :eek:
After that we took a drive a little further North along the coast and back We liked Sooke and liked East Sooke also, but have only ever visited in winter. Looking forward to our first summer there when we move over next March (assuming CIC allow it to be that way).

We're flying over 12th November for three weeks and will be based in Sooke for the period.. we will have a car so will be trying to get around and build up some local knowledge at the same time. That'll be day 1 What we'll do after that is anyones guess

Drop me a line if you fancy a meet up. We'd be more than happy to pop over (any time of the week/day) to Mill Bay and say Hi! over coffee or something
Was at Ma's earlier in the fall; the meal was indeed large ;I live in Victoria and went on a sight seeing trip with some of Victoria's " old people"
Old Nov 4th 2012, 11:20 am
All Sooked up!

Originally Posted by Largo
Was at Ma's earlier in the fall; the meal was indeed large ;I live in Victoria and went on a sight seeing trip with some of Victoria's " old people"
Yep.. Ma's. What I would describe at the time of North American diner you see on TV quite a bit. Ma's is well known in the area by all accounts.

As an aside, I might be need your services they way things are going.. I'll likely be old as well by the time CIC London get around to giving us COPR's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.