British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Newby trying to find info on reed seal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/newby-trying-find-info-reed-seal-906083/)

Shilly25 Nov 20th 2017 10:22 pm

Newby trying to find info on reed seal

Hi guys,
I've read a few of the threads and there great,I've paid £750 to start the application process😨
I'm a gas engineer ,who has no plumbing qualifications(I've fitted bathrooms,kitchens etc)but all my skills are in gas my case worker is struggling to find a red seal exam just for gas.........is this right
Also has anyone taken it ,it seems slot different from what I'm used to

I appreciate any help👍

Siouxie Nov 20th 2017 10:28 pm

Re: Newby trying to find info on reed seal

Gasfitter - Class A / Red Seal
Gasfitter - Class B / Red Seal

:)

Shilly25 Nov 20th 2017 10:46 pm

Thanks for your reply

I've seen these on a host of websites,I've carried out as many mock exams as possible .
I'm totally up for the challenge but want to take the easiest path and terminology is a problem

Also I plan on coming over for a few weeks before I take the exam to introduce myself and hopefully shadow engineers in there day to day activities,in your opinion do you think this could happen(unpaid obviously)

Piff Poff Nov 20th 2017 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by Shilly25 (Post 12386276)
Thanks for your reply

I've seen these on a host of websites,I've carried out as many mock exams as possible .
I'm totally up for the challenge but want to take the easiest path and terminology is a problem

Also I plan on coming over for a few weeks before I take the exam to introduce myself and hopefully shadow engineers in there day to day activities,in your opinion do you think this could happen(unpaid obviously)

If you come over on a visit to take an exam you will either be turned around or given a temporary work permit. This happened to my husband, he had an exam booked (under advice from our useless immigration consultants as we had not found this site) came over on a weeks vacation to take the exam, was questioned at length, given a 3 month WP in which he had to pass the exam.

As it happened he had not looked at any terminology/exams online etc as his idea was to take the exam to see where he falls short, he failed. He then came back to the UK handed in his notice (a month) we put the house on the market, he flew out, left me behind started work and stressfully retook the exam and thankfully passed. It was hairy.

bats Nov 21st 2017 12:01 am

Which Province are you heading to?

Aviator Nov 21st 2017 12:53 am

This is the process for BC

https://www.technicalsafetybc.ca/lic...tification/gas

Presumably you are able to prove the requisite number of hours work experience?

christmasoompa Nov 21st 2017 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Shilly25 (Post 12386276)

Not possible I'm afraid, that's something you would need a work permit for. From the CIC website.......

Examples of “work” include, but are not limited to:

a foreign technician coming to repair a machine, or otherwise fulfill a contract, even when they will not be paid directly by the Canadian company for whom they are doing the work;
self-employment, which could constitute a competitive economic activity such as opening a dry- cleaning shop or fast-food franchise. (A self-employed person may also be considered to be working if they receive a commission or payment for services);
unpaid employment undertaken for the purpose of obtaining work experience, such as an internship or practicum normally done by a student.

You say you've paid £750 so is this for your 'Red Seal'? Or something else? It's just not a figure I've heard of anybody having to pay before so I'm intrigued!

Good luck.

Engineer_abroad Nov 21st 2017 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Shilly25 (Post 12386257)
Hi guys,
I've read a few of the threads and there great,I've paid £750 to start the application process😨
I'm a gas engineer ,who has no plumbing qualifications(I've fitted bathrooms,kitchens etc)but all my skills are in gas my case worker is struggling to find a red seal exam just for gas.........is this right
Also has anyone taken it ,it seems slot different from what I'm used to

I appreciate any help👍

Just a note, and I know I always look pompous for doing it but it may help when you are looking for jobs and especially if you struggle to find gas engineer jobs that fit you. In Canada the title of Engineer and the practice of Engineering are protected titles under federal law and you need to be licensed by the provincial authority.

To register as a engineer you must normally have a bachelors degree in Engineering as well as 4 years of professional work experience including a year in the Canadian environment.

Shilly25 Nov 21st 2017 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 12386288)
If you come over on a visit to take an exam you will either be turned around or given a temporary work permit. This happened to my husband, he had an exam booked (under advice from our useless immigration consultants as we had not found this site) came over on a weeks vacation to take the exam, was questioned at length, given a 3 month WP in which he had to pass the exam.

As it happened he had not looked at any terminology/exams online etc as his idea was to take the exam to see where he falls short, he failed. He then came back to the UK handed in his notice (a month) we put the house on the market, he flew out, left me behind started work and stressfully retook the exam and thankfully passed. It was hairy.

Wow,sounds crazy have you ever regretted any of it I'm bringing the family over with me (daughter17,son13,wife)so alot riding on it,does your husband in hindsight think if he had done as much homework here he would stand a chance or just a big ask

Colin

Shilly25 Nov 21st 2017 5:38 pm

Sorry to be personal,but did you get your full visa after he passed.
That actually sounds a good way to get your feet under the Canadian table👍👍

Shilly25 Nov 21st 2017 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad (Post 12386607)
Just a note, and I know I always look pompous for doing it but it may help when you are looking for jobs and especially if you struggle to find gas engineer jobs that fit you. In Canada the title of Engineer and the practice of Engineering are protected titles under federal law and you need to be licensed by the provincial authority.

To register as a engineer you must normally have a bachelors degree in Engineering as well as 4 years of professional work experience including a year in the Canadian environment.

Good advice👍thanks I certainly don't want to miss lead anyone

Shilly25 Nov 21st 2017 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by bats (Post 12386312)
Which Province are you heading to?

Alberta .....fingers crossed

Shilly25 Nov 21st 2017 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12386438)
Not possible I'm afraid, that's something you would need a work permit for. From the CIC website.......

Examples of “work” include, but are not limited to:

a foreign technician coming to repair a machine, or otherwise fulfill a contract, even when they will not be paid directly by the Canadian company for whom they are doing the work;
self-employment, which could constitute a competitive economic activity such as opening a dry- cleaning shop or fast-food franchise. (A self-employed person may also be considered to be working if they receive a commission or payment for services);
unpaid employment undertaken for the purpose of obtaining work experience, such as an internship or practicum normally done by a student.

You say you've paid £750 so is this for your 'Red Seal'? Or something else? It's just not a figure I've heard of anybody having to pay before so I'm intrigued!

Good luck.

I carried out an online ,points system test age,job,family etc I have enough points as long as I pass the red seal so to start the process the initial fee is £750 then another £500 once visa has been granted (migrate me)I have to pay for crb checks English exam etc etc

Siouxie Nov 21st 2017 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Shilly25 (Post 12386872)
I carried out an online ,points system test age,job,family etc I have enough points as long as I pass the red seal so to start the process the initial fee is £750 then another £500 once visa has been granted (migrate me)I have to pay for crb checks English exam etc etc

Is that through an Immigration Consultant company?

Do tell me you haven't paid them yet, if it is...

:confused:

Piff Poff Nov 22nd 2017 12:02 am

Originally Posted by Shilly25 (Post 12386728)
Wow,sounds crazy have you ever regretted any of it I'm bringing the family over with me (daughter17,son13,wife)so alot riding on it,does your husband in hindsight think if he had done as much homework here he would stand a chance or just a big ask

Colin

I think it all pushed us quicker into the move for sure. I followed OH out 7 weeks later, with our 10 year old daughter and got a 6 month visitors permit, once he passed he got a 3 year work permit and out permanent residencies came through in 2007. This was In 2005.

The immigration journey is the proverbial roller coaster and there have been many times we have questioned the sanity of our move and after much deliberation have decided to move to Ontario in the next couple of years.

Good luck with everything and don't get too stressed!