Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

tax refund on receipts if returning to uk?

tax refund on receipts if returning to uk?

Old Dec 11th 2013, 6:11 pm
Gained PR July 2014

lindamchugh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default tax refund on receipts if returning to uk?

Hi I have been told that if returning to the UK having been here as a visitor you can claim back the tax paid on receipts is this correct and how do you go about it ??
Old Dec 11th 2013, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tax refund on receipts if returning to uk?

I did that once. I think I got about a $15 refund after they'd queried it once and I had to send in more supporting documentation, then the bank took about $10 in fees to pay in the cheque, so I got about two pounds at the end of it.

So, unless you're buying some really expensive stuff, I wouldn't bother.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 7:57 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lindamchugh
Hi I have been told that if returning to the UK having been here as a visitor you can claim back the tax paid on receipts is this correct and how do you go about it ??
Not any more, that stopped in 2007.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 8:52 pm
Gained PR July 2014

bummer ive spent a fortune in last 4 months
Old Dec 11th 2013, 11:01 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lindamchugh
bummer ive spent a fortune in last 4 months
Even then it was not on everything you bought while you were here. It was only on the items you were taking out of the country and you had to prove export of the goods. Each receipt had to be $50 minimum and total of $200 or more.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 12:57 am
Gained PR July 2014

oh right ? it just seems so much when you see it as a seperate amount on a receipt. oh well.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

I did that once before they stopped it.

Really wasn't worth the hassle.

I seem to recall there was a processing fee as well.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by withabix
I seem to recall there was a processing fee as well.
No