Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Newbies in Canada - STRESS ALERT

Newbies in Canada - STRESS ALERT

Old Mar 2nd 2017, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbies in Canada - STRESS ALERT

Originally Posted by TrishP
Ah yes, the Newfie thing ... as a fellow Northern Irish person, I have been asked many times whereabouts in Newfoundland I'm from. I was even asked once upon a time where in Australia I'm from, wtf?!?! The big difference, however, between Newfs and Irish, is that the Newfs are more Irish than the Irish, they take it to a whole new level, lol!
I'm from NI too and have definitely affected my English wife's accent. She has been accused of being Irish, Australian, South African and German!
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

The credit thing was predictable. When I came to the US I had an AMEX card from the UK. I called AMEX in the US and asked if they could check my payment history in the UK and issue me a US card. They did.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 3:24 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bramallblade

Speaking of TD banking is 100% behind the UK. Perhaps in the UK we have been spoiled, but the value for money in the service you get in the UK is so much better than in Canada and I don't care what anyone says to counter that. It's true. The charges here (for almost everything) are crazy. Even how the banks work is so 1990s! When I was setting up my new current account over here and wanted to transfer some money over from my savings account, the member of staff had to leave her office and go to a clerk to do it! Crazy.

Anyway, I love it here and I cannot wait for all that is to come. It is very stressful, and I had it easier than many but it's worth it.

Still waiting on my PR card though!

you know you can do all that online right?
I am not 100% in agreement about being behind. We got "tap" awhile before the UK got "contactless" card payment options and plastic money was also here first.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

bramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant future

I am aware of that but I needed to be in branch to transfer money from my savings in to the new account (like I said.)

Banking is very behind here. And plastic money is great but cash has its days numbered for sure.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 3:55 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I am not 100% in agreement about being behind. We got "tap" awhile before the UK got "contactless"
Going off a bit it still amazes me that the banks brought that in.

We're encouraged to have incredibly difficult passwords; not let our cards out of our sight; not share PINs; don't click on links we're not sure about; beware of phishing; activate cards prior to use and all the rest of it.

Then they bring out a card that doesn't need a PIN or a signature. Any old Tom Dick or Harriet can find or steal your card and use it in store in a way they could not previously.

Maybe the 'market' is more in using it to make a fake card but why let them have use of the real one too?
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 3:58 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I have not been in my branch for years.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Likewise.

I think what some are experiencing are regional nuances, not nation-wide experiences.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

leith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond repute

You haven't seen anything yet. For a real nightmare,try dealing with Revenue Canada.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 5:33 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bramallblade
I am aware of that but I needed to be in branch to transfer money from my savings in to the new account (like I said.)

Banking is very behind here. And plastic money is great but cash has its days numbered for sure.
I dont agree, I have no issues with banking here. Dont forget that for you, you were new to the country too. If I was a reasonably novice bank employee I might too have gotten someone else involved, just to cover my ass. That may be their policy.

Cash is everywhere, not just in Canada. You should try the US then, then just got chip and pin.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

bramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant future

I know cash is everywhere. Its just my thought that it won't be in the not so distant future.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

Cash is being used less and less. We will still require cash for a while, but not much....I carry $20 tops and rarely use it. Large notes will disappear first, likely to prevent illicit and illegal activities such as drugs and extortion will be the driving force.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JonboyE
The only times I have gone into a branch in recent memory was (a) to deposit a GBP cheque to make sure they handle it correctly (without charging me a fee) and (b) to make use of a notary public to certify documents for free.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

CanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Going off a bit it still amazes me that the banks brought that in.

We're encouraged to have incredibly difficult passwords; not let our cards out of our sight; not share PINs; don't click on links we're not sure about; beware of phishing; activate cards prior to use and all the rest of it.

Then they bring out a card that doesn't need a PIN or a signature. Any old Tom Dick or Harriet can find or steal your card and use it in store in a way they could not previously.

Maybe the 'market' is more in using it to make a fake card but why let them have use of the real one too?
I work in a credit card fraud department for one of the major FIs in Canada and to be honest fraud on contactless is very very low.

In fact it has lowered fraud for many issuers because people are entering their PINs less, we've had less instances of people (especially the elderly) who enter their PIN at the supermarket (while someone watches) and then someone mugging them and running to the nearest ATM to empty out their account.

Many contactless cards (and all mobile devices) won't give the terminal your full card number (only the last 4 digits) and generate a one time number, so if the card machine is hacked your card details are safe.

Fraudsters want to buy big ticket items to sell, they aren't interested in groceries or cinema tickets or even low value electronics.

+ Most card machines will let you insert the card backwards three times and then let you swipe because it thinks the chip is broken (Excluding Interac) so chip and pin is hardly full proof.

Pretty much all in person fraud occurs in the US these days. Its not really the banks problem anymore as any cloned card used in the US will be the merchants problem (They'll have the money taken back) if they don't have a chip reader (and still swipe cards).

Last edited by CanadianSpruce; Mar 3rd 2017 at 2:07 am.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

CanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leith
You haven't seen anything yet. For a real nightmare,try dealing with Revenue Canada.
I'm still confused as to why most employed people need to file a tax return, surely the CRA could do it automatically for most people?

I suppose the only advantage is you can make sure its right. HMRC can be a bit of a nightmare when they get things wrong (One year I apparently earnt double my normal income).
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 11:46 am
Happy

Originally Posted by CanadianSpruce
I work in a credit card fraud department for one of the major FIs in Canada and to be honest fraud on contactless is very very low.

In fact it has lowered fraud for many issuers because people are entering their PINs less, we've had less instances of people (especially the elderly) who enter their PIN at the supermarket (while someone watches) and then someone mugging them and running to the nearest ATM to empty out their account.

Many contactless cards (and all mobile devices) won't give the terminal your full card number (only the last 4 digits) and generate a one time number, so if the card machine is hacked your card details are safe.

Fraudsters want to buy big ticket items to sell, they aren't interested in groceries or cinema tickets or even low value electronics.

+ Most card machines will let you insert the card backwards three times and then let you swipe because it thinks the chip is broken (Excluding Interac) so chip and pin is hardly full proof.

Pretty much all in person fraud occurs in the US these days. Its not really the banks problem anymore as any cloned card used in the US will be the merchants problem (They'll have the money taken back) if they don't have a chip reader (and still swipe cards).
Very interesting, thank you for the insight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.