Reload this Page >

Newbie questions,please help!

Wikiposts

Newbie questions,please help!

Old Apr 14th 2013, 7:30 am
Just Joined

charhayward is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie questions,please help!

I have recently gotten my work visa and booked my flight,so now i have a few questions to ask just to help with the planning and any answers would be appreciated!

- Firstly,what would be the best thing to do about mobile phones over in Canada? I probably wont be taking my phone with me as its on a contract which will end soon so I was thinking about just buying a really cheap one once i get to Canada. Any advice on the best networks/ways of getting a phone?

- I fly into Vancouver,any advice on the best hostel to stay at? Ive been looking at a few and the prices are good,just need advice on location.

-Does anybody here fly from Gatwick airport on the 5th July into vancouver?! Would be cool to have someone else to fly with (prefably female!) haha Or anybody flying into vancouver on that date?

-Any recommended banks to use when setting up my bank account in Canada? and does anybody know how to go about it? any advice on setting up my bank account would be helpful!
Old Apr 14th 2013, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

bcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nice
Default Re: Newbie questions,please help!

We got our UK phones unlocked so will just get pay as you go sims from seven eleven or similar once we arrive as don't want to be tied into an expensive contract.
We set up an account with Presidents Choice (free banking) last time we were in Vancouver just had to take ID and proof of address to the nearest Real Canadian Superstore, it was a ten minute job to open it up and got a credit card soon after.
Sorry can't help with your other questions, best of luck with your move!
Old Apr 14th 2013, 9:45 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charhayward
I have recently gotten my work visa and booked my flight,so now i have a few questions to ask just to help with the planning and any answers would be appreciated!

- Firstly,what would be the best thing to do about mobile phones over in Canada? I probably wont be taking my phone with me as its on a contract which will end soon so I was thinking about just buying a really cheap one once i get to Canada. Any advice on the best networks/ways of getting a phone?

- I fly into Vancouver,any advice on the best hostel to stay at? Ive been looking at a few and the prices are good,just need advice on location.

-Does anybody here fly from Gatwick airport on the 5th July into vancouver?! Would be cool to have someone else to fly with (prefably female!) haha Or anybody flying into vancouver on that date?

-Any recommended banks to use when setting up my bank account in Canada? and does anybody know how to go about it? any advice on setting up my bank account would be helpful!
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Cell_Phones-Canada - cell phones, would definitely get yours unlocked (most companies will do it for free or a small fee) and bringing it with you.

I would suggest going to Scotiabank, they have a newcomers package. There are instructions on now to open an account on the website.

Sorry, no idea about hostels - I will leave that to people who live in the area.

Old Apr 14th 2013, 9:55 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.ywcahotel.com/
Old Apr 14th 2013, 6:12 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Trip advisor might be a good website to use to get some hostel reviews so you can an idea on the hostels in Vancouver.