Reload this Page >

Newbie planning to move to Fort McMurray

Newbie planning to move to Fort McMurray

Old Jul 6th 2008, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

littlemiss25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie planning to move to Fort McMurray

Hi Everyone,

I am planning to move to Fort McMurray, Alberta the end of this year... just searching on the internet and came across this website, would be grateful for any advice that i can get.

I visited Canada for the first time last year with my boyfriend, his mam moved there to be with her canadian partner 18months ago. We have been desperate to get back there since but have been at uni so wanted to finish first. We visited Edmonton, Jasper, Wandering River and Fort McMurray whilst we were there and loved it.

We are hoping to move in November/December time and are currently looking for jobs...

Anyway great to meet people who are wanting to do similar things... look forward to getting to know some new people and hopefully getting some great advice

Old Jul 6th 2008, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

tperkz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Newbie planning to move to Fort McMurray

Hi There and welcome to the site. I drop by here occasionally (I try not to do it too often - it is addictive!). I moved from the south of England to Fort McMurray (with husband and now two sons) eight years ago and really like it here. You will certainly have no difficulty finding a job. If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask and I will do what I can to help.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

littlemiss25 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tperkz
Hi There and welcome to the site. I drop by here occasionally (I try not to do it too often - it is addictive!). I moved from the south of England to Fort McMurray (with husband and now two sons) eight years ago and really like it here. You will certainly have no difficulty finding a job. If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask and I will do what I can to help.
Hi tperkz, thanks for the welcome...i'm sre the site can be very addictive. I am looking to work for the health region and hopefully have a telephone interview this week so fingers crossed. 8 years - is there anything you miss about the UK? Also might be a totally random question - we have been advised to lease a car when we first get there basically not to commit to anything until we are sure we are going to stay - is this a good idea? and how much can we expect to pay per month?

Hope these q's are not too specific...?
Old Jul 7th 2008, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

tperkz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by littlemiss25
Hi tperkz, thanks for the welcome...i'm sre the site can be very addictive. I am looking to work for the health region and hopefully have a telephone interview this week so fingers crossed. 8 years - is there anything you miss about the UK? Also might be a totally random question - we have been advised to lease a car when we first get there basically not to commit to anything until we are sure we are going to stay - is this a good idea? and how much can we expect to pay per month?

Hope these q's are not too specific...?
There isn't much I miss about the UK. Mainly I miss my family (but they visit here often and we video chat every week), I miss the history (everything here is so new relatively speaking) and occasionally I miss the rain but really that's all!

With regards to leasing a car that is not a question I have been asked before. Did you mean leasing or hiring? I am pretty sure the shortest lease you could get would be for a year but it would be cheaper than buying new. We hired a car for the first couple of weeks we lived here but that was just until we decided on what to buy.