Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

"Newbie" moving to Canada for a year.

"Newbie" moving to Canada for a year.

Old May 12th 2009, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

Herman Bloom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default "Newbie" moving to Canada for a year.

Hi guys,

First post, and first-off just want to say that this site has been really helpful to me over the past few weeks. Only registered a few days ago but have been on here for longer than that doing research and the advice on here is really helpful.

Anyway, I'm a 30 year old who has just managed to sneak into Bunac's Canada programme before I am deemed to old! I am flying into Calgary mid-September for what I hope will be a very rewarding experience as I have been stuck in a rut as of late and needed a change. I have no connections over in Canada, other than one friend of a friend, so am very much looking forward to seeing how I cope!

I'm hoping to have 5k (Sterling) saved up by the time I leave, possibly slightly more depending on my living arrangements between now and departure date, which I hope will give me enough to set myself up in a room somewhere and not have to work the moment I set foot on Canadian soil. Said distant friend mentioned above works as a DJ in the city part-time so I'm hoping that he might be able to land me some bar work (which would provide a great way to meet some people), but other than that I have no real ideas on jobs. The threads on here regarding people's troubles finding employment have left me a little daunted, but I am not panicking yet! I guess I just want to be able to spend the full 12 months of the visa out there so I can make the most of my time, and not have to fly back after six months due to lack of funds! I have emailed RBC who came back incredibly quickly with details on how to set-up a bank account over there, so I will look to get that sorted before I depart the UK.

Anyway, I guess I'm just looking for general advice from anybody in the Calgary area as to accommodation, things to check out/avoid and hints and tips on how to make the most of my time. A lot of the threads here are (naturally) about buying places and so on, so any help for renting would be greatly appreciated. I would like to think that if all goes well, my stay in Canada will be for much longer than a year, but who knows!

That was quite long-winded
Old May 12th 2009, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: "Newbie" moving to Canada for a year.

Oh and I guess I should have put Calgary rather than Canada in the title, but it won't let me edit it
Old May 12th 2009, 2:31 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE
Old May 12th 2009, 3:15 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Herman, if you're not looking for career type jobs I see no probs with you finding work (Coffe shops, servers, bar work etc). What do you do in the UK at the moment? Maybe you could start putting out fellers regarding if anyone can help you that way.

BC
Old May 12th 2009, 3:17 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

There's lot of retail work out here, but it doesn't pay a great deal.
Old May 12th 2009, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the responses (big Jenson fan myself Cassie )

I'm currently working in a marketing job for a manufacturing company. I've moved across to that from various sales jobs that I've done since university. Trying to get away from sales these days though, hence the (slight) change in direction. I have qualifications from the Chartered Instistue of Marketing, but I'm not sure how valid they'd be in Canada. It's something I will be checking up on.

I think I'd actually prefer initially to work in a retail type job anyway. Seems a good way to meet folks, and I'd like to think I get on with people generally. Even if it is not great pay-wise, I guess if I start working early into my stay it might be fine when I add the savings into it.
Old May 12th 2009, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud of

There's lots of shopping malls of various sizes and they seem to be constantly looking for staff in most of them. I know of at least two new malls opening this year as well. Cross Iron Mills will be Calgary's largest, and is actually just outside Calgary in a hamlet called Balzac, which is just to the north of the city. One shop (Bass Bros) is already open, and the rest is due to open this August.

Aspen Landing Mall is smaller but is within the city, and is scheduled to open in the autumn. Lots of large stores are being built at the moment, but the only name I know that is going in there is Avocado which is a Mexican eatery. It is at the junction of 17 Av and 85 St SW. 17 Av is a pretty major road with blocks of flats and regular public transport to downtown. The downtown portion of 17 Av is the party district. Westside Recreation Centre is also located on 17 Av, fairly close to Aspen Landing Mall.

Other fairly central and trendy areas to live include Kensington (in the northwest), which is served by the c-train through Hillhurst-Sunnyside station and Marda Loop (in the southwest).
Old May 13th 2009, 7:37 am
Just Joined

That's very helpful indeed Dan, thanks very much. Hopefully Aspen Landing will be opening around the time I land, so I might be able to get something quickly

Great detail on Calgary itself as well, thankyou!
Old May 13th 2009, 2:03 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Herman Bloom
That's very helpful indeed Dan, thanks very much. Hopefully Aspen Landing will be opening around the time I land, so I might be able to get something quickly

Great detail on Calgary itself as well, thankyou!
Old May 13th 2009, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

Think I must have missed something there

Seems I do indeed need to do a bit more training to have my CIM qualifications count in Canada, so will look to enrol on some evening courses perhaps as soon as I get there. Flight confirmed for 17th September so it all seems to be finalised!
Old May 13th 2009, 3:23 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Herman Bloom
Think I must have missed something there

Seems I do indeed need to do a bit more training to have my CIM qualifications count in Canada, so will look to enrol on some evening courses perhaps as soon as I get there. Flight confirmed for 17th September so it all seems to be finalised!
No you didnt miss a thing. It was just the detail that was missing from Dans post that made me laugh.