Newbie Hello

Old Feb 6th 2017, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

sibantam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie Hello

Hello everybody

My wife and I are in the process of selling our house and then plan to do some travelling before hopefully starting a new life in British Columbia near my wife's Father and Stepmom.
The plan is to set up a Yoga/Fitness/Outdoors retreat (my wife's a Yoga teacher and I'm a Personal Trainer with a military background). We would like a property with a couple of acres within about an hour of the nearest town but we plan eventually to try and become as off-grid as possible.
Any suggestions on towns/villages, any guidance on becoming self-sufficient or any general guidance at all would be greatly appreciated.

Look forward to chatting and learning from others - Simon.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 6:24 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie Hello

@Oink;

One for you

(This is my first time seeing if this function works )
Old Feb 6th 2017, 6:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sibantam
Hello everybody

My wife and I are in the process of selling our house and then plan to do some travelling before hopefully starting a new life in British Columbia near my wife's Father and Stepmom.
The plan is to set up a Yoga/Fitness/Outdoors retreat (my wife's a Yoga teacher and I'm a Personal Trainer with a military background). We would like a property with a couple of acres within about an hour of the nearest town but we plan eventually to try and become as off-grid as possible.
Any suggestions on towns/villages, any guidance on becoming self-sufficient or any general guidance at all would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, welcome to BE. Sounds blissful! Just checking, but you have visas in place right?

Originally Posted by BristolUK
@Oink;

One for you

(This is my first time seeing if this function works )
It won't. Because this is BE, not Facebook. You can't tag people here!
Old Feb 6th 2017, 8:39 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everybody

Welcome to the forum. I'd suggest looking at Vancouver Island. There are be lots of rural areas that should be practical as they're not so far away from civilization, plus, because the weather and scenary are the best in the country you'll have people willing to travel and stay there. In addition, the Island has a that sort of hippy dippy vibe so a venture like yours wouldn't be out of place. Good luck.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 8:42 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Welcome to the forum. I'd suggest looking at Vancouver Island. There are be lots of rural areas that should be practical as they're not so far away from civilization, plus, because the weather and scenary are the best in the country you'll have people willing to travel and stay there. In addition, the Island has a that sort of hippy dippy vibe so a venture like yours wouldn't be out of place. Good luck.
They won't have much luck unless they already have a visa in place or one of them is a Canadian citizen, there isn't a visa for 'moving and becoming self sufficient'.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 8:44 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
They won't have much luck unless they already have a visa in place or one of them is a Canadian citizen, there isn't a visa for 'moving and becoming self sufficient'.
You can get a TWP and be self employed though. Same difference.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 8:49 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
You can get a TWP and be self employed though. Same difference.
Can you still do that? I don't think so.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 8:52 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everybody

The plan is to set up a Yoga/Fitness/Outdoors retreat (my wife's a Yoga teacher and I'm a Personal Trainer with a military background).

We would like a property with a couple of acres within about an hour of the nearest town but we plan eventually to try and become as off-grid as possible.

mentioned by others, visa aside

Off the grid eh!

As part of your plan, would you need to generate (or have you the million dollars?), would your lifestyle be a commune or a small community of some sort?

https://thetyee.ca/Culture/2014/12/2...rid-In-Canada/

Could you live in a shack, tent, trailer home, tree house,what are your expectations?

http://property.trovit.ca/off-grid-bc

Old Feb 6th 2017, 9:19 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Can you still do that? I don't think so.
I'm only going on my experience - do current immigration options now preclude it?
Old Feb 6th 2017, 10:15 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It won't. Because this is BE, not Facebook. You can't tag people here!
I'm not on FB, so I wouldn't know but there was a thread going on in the feedback section and people commented as if it was a new function, in the expectation that it would actually work.

But he appeared anyway so perhaps it was my thought transference.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 10:18 pm
Oscar nominated

@ mikelincs

Nice avatar and sentiment. I read about that idea.

Were you a safety pin wearer in the 70s too?
Old Feb 6th 2017, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everybody

BC is 3.9 times bigger than the UK. To help people are really going to need to know where your wife's family currently lives.
Old Feb 7th 2017, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everybody

It sounds like you want Gabriola Island, Salt Spring Island, Lasqueti Island, or Roberts Creek. Maybe even Lund.
Old Feb 7th 2017, 10:12 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
I'm only going on my experience - do current immigration options now preclude it?
Yes, I know that that is what you did. I doubt these days when an LMIA is a prerequisite to a TWP that it's still possible. There may well be PNP routes which might work in a similar way for the OP though.

One for christmasoompa and the other experts.
Old Feb 7th 2017, 3:35 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

@Oink;
@ mikelincs
#GiveItARest

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.