British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Newbie Hello (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/newbie-hello-891214/)

sibantam Feb 6th 2017 5:38 pm

Newbie Hello

Hello everybody

My wife and I are in the process of selling our house and then plan to do some travelling before hopefully starting a new life in British Columbia near my wife's Father and Stepmom.
The plan is to set up a Yoga/Fitness/Outdoors retreat (my wife's a Yoga teacher and I'm a Personal Trainer with a military background). We would like a property with a couple of acres within about an hour of the nearest town but we plan eventually to try and become as off-grid as possible.
Any suggestions on towns/villages, any guidance on becoming self-sufficient or any general guidance at all would be greatly appreciated.

Look forward to chatting and learning from others - Simon.

BristolUK Feb 6th 2017 6:24 pm

Re: Newbie Hello

@Oink;

One for you ;)

(This is my first time seeing if this function works :lol:)

christmasoompa Feb 6th 2017 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by sibantam (Post 12172555)
Hello everybody

My wife and I are in the process of selling our house and then plan to do some travelling before hopefully starting a new life in British Columbia near my wife's Father and Stepmom.
The plan is to set up a Yoga/Fitness/Outdoors retreat (my wife's a Yoga teacher and I'm a Personal Trainer with a military background). We would like a property with a couple of acres within about an hour of the nearest town but we plan eventually to try and become as off-grid as possible.
Any suggestions on towns/villages, any guidance on becoming self-sufficient or any general guidance at all would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, welcome to BE. Sounds blissful! Just checking, but you have visas in place right?

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12172620)
@Oink;

One for you ;)

(This is my first time seeing if this function works :lol:)

It won't. Because this is BE, not Facebook. You can't tag people here! :lol:

Oink Feb 6th 2017 8:39 pm

Hello everybody

Welcome to the forum. I'd suggest looking at Vancouver Island. There are be lots of rural areas that should be practical as they're not so far away from civilization, plus, because the weather and scenary are the best in the country you'll have people willing to travel and stay there. In addition, the Island has a that sort of hippy dippy vibe so a venture like yours wouldn't be out of place. Good luck.

mikelincs Feb 6th 2017 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 12172746)
Welcome to the forum. I'd suggest looking at Vancouver Island. There are be lots of rural areas that should be practical as they're not so far away from civilization, plus, because the weather and scenary are the best in the country you'll have people willing to travel and stay there. In addition, the Island has a that sort of hippy dippy vibe so a venture like yours wouldn't be out of place. Good luck.

They won't have much luck unless they already have a visa in place or one of them is a Canadian citizen, there isn't a visa for 'moving and becoming self sufficient'.

R I C H Feb 6th 2017 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12172750)
They won't have much luck unless they already have a visa in place or one of them is a Canadian citizen, there isn't a visa for 'moving and becoming self sufficient'.

You can get a TWP and be self employed though. Same difference.

Novocastrian Feb 6th 2017 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by R I C H (Post 12172754)
You can get a TWP and be self employed though. Same difference.

Can you still do that? I don't think so.

not2old Feb 6th 2017 8:52 pm

Hello everybody

The plan is to set up a Yoga/Fitness/Outdoors retreat (my wife's a Yoga teacher and I'm a Personal Trainer with a military background).

We would like a property with a couple of acres within about an hour of the nearest town but we plan eventually to try and become as off-grid as possible.

mentioned by others, visa aside

Off the grid eh!

As part of your plan, would you need to generate (or have you the million dollars?), would your lifestyle be a commune or a small community of some sort? ;)

https://thetyee.ca/Culture/2014/12/2...rid-In-Canada/

Could you live in a shack, tent, trailer home, tree house,what are your expectations?

http://property.trovit.ca/off-grid-bc

R I C H Feb 6th 2017 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12172756)
Can you still do that? I don't think so.

I'm only going on my experience - do current immigration options now preclude it?

BristolUK Feb 6th 2017 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12172627)
It won't. Because this is BE, not Facebook. You can't tag people here! :lol:

I'm not on FB, so I wouldn't know but there was a thread going on in the feedback section and people commented as if it was a new function, in the expectation that it would actually work. :lol:

But he appeared anyway so perhaps it was my thought transference. :lol:

BristolUK Feb 6th 2017 10:18 pm

@ mikelincs

Nice avatar and sentiment. I read about that idea.

Were you a safety pin wearer in the 70s too? :lol:

Engineer_abroad Feb 6th 2017 10:46 pm

Hello everybody

BC is 3.9 times bigger than the UK. To help people are really going to need to know where your wife's family currently lives.

Lychee Feb 7th 2017 12:17 am

Hello everybody

It sounds like you want Gabriola Island, Salt Spring Island, Lasqueti Island, or Roberts Creek. Maybe even Lund.

Novocastrian Feb 7th 2017 10:12 am

Originally Posted by R I C H (Post 12172781)
I'm only going on my experience - do current immigration options now preclude it?

Yes, I know that that is what you did. I doubt these days when an LMIA is a prerequisite to a TWP that it's still possible. There may well be PNP routes which might work in a similar way for the OP though.

One for christmasoompa and the other experts.

JamesM Feb 7th 2017 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12172620)
@Oink;

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12172825)
@ mikelincs

#GiveItARest :p