Newbie!!

Old Jun 14th 2021, 8:00 am
Just Joined

Punash2021 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie!!

Hi all.

As many I'm new to starting my application to immigrate to canada, I was just hoping for any tips or suggestions that could be of use to myself and my wife, I work in construction and my wife is a qualified nurse but is now a operations director of a care home company.

We are going to submit a joint application I've booked our ielts test to begin the process.

I have researched quite a bit but still find new things pop up as to what we would need to get a robust application in place.

If anyone could be of any help as to what processes you've gone through especially if any jobs people have moved over for are similar to the ones above, or just general things to look out for or to expect so we have as much in place as possible.

Many thanks

Ash
Old Jun 14th 2021, 2:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie!!

Hi, and welcome to BE.

As far as a 'robust application' goes, as long as you're scoring well over the minimum points on the CRS (i.e. approx 460-470 or higher) and can prove it, plus you have the required documents like IELTS, ECA, proof of funds etc, then that should be all you need. You'll get a checklist when/if you are actually selected and invited to apply for PR which will tell you what evidence you need to provide.

Is your wife planning on returning to nursing or staying in something similar to her current role? What do you do in construction? Depending on your job, there may be some hoops to jump through to be able to work in Canada.

Best of luck with the application.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 14th 2021 at 2:14 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2021, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

Hey!!

Thanks for the reply and information.

Ideally my wife would prefer to stay in a similar role but would be open to change if it was necessary.
I myself work on site as a finishing manager/assistant site manager on traditional house build sites.

I'm not sure whether it's best to get a third party to help with the application or just go through the notions during each stage.

Old Jun 14th 2021, 6:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Punash2021
Hey!!

Thanks for the reply and information.

Ideally my wife would prefer to stay in a similar role but would be open to change if it was necessary.
I myself work on site as a finishing manager/assistant site manager on traditional house build sites.

I'm not sure whether it's best to get a third party to help with the application or just go through the notions during each stage.
That's easier, if your wife doesn't want to work as a nurse again - would be a long and expensive process to be able to work in Canada if she did! So that's good.

No need to hire a consultant or lawyer if you have a straightforward application i.e. no criminal record, medical issues etc. It's all pretty simple and you've found BE now! You mention the IELTS exam, have you applied for your ECA as well?
Old Jun 15th 2021, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

Thanks again for replying, we both have our Ielts tests are this Saturday, we have misplaced our certificates during our house move but have ordered duplicates to get verified once they arrive.

Regarding job searches ive been looking for recruitment consultants but can't seem to find anything that doesn't come up as a third party for immigrating for some reason, is there a different terminology we can use?

Thanks again.
Ash
Old Jun 15th 2021, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you have practised a lot for your IELTS test. It might not be as easy as you think, even for an English born and raised person.
Old Jun 16th 2021, 5:09 am
Just Joined

Yeah I've been practicing like mad, quite surprised actually with it, averaging at 6.5 on my tests really trying to get into a 7 average.
Old Jun 16th 2021, 10:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks again for replying, we both have our Ielts tests are this Saturday, we have misplaced our certificates during our house move but have ordered duplicates to get verified once they arrive.
Fab. ECA's can take a while, so make sure you check each provider's website to see who is currently processing them the quickest as the difference can be as much as 6 months. What is the principal applicant scoring on the CRS, are points likely to drop due to a birthday anytime soon or are you comfortably over the threshold?

Regarding job searches ive been looking for recruitment consultants but can't seem to find anything that doesn't come up as a third party for immigrating for some reason, is there a different terminology we can use?
You can try head hunter or employment agency. Consultant generally means an immigration consultant, so try recruitment agency instead. But you may be better off going directly to the companies anyway once you have PR and get there, have a read of the Job Hunting section of the Wiki for tips.

Best of luck.

Old Jun 16th 2021, 3:51 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all.

As many I'm new to starting my application to immigrate to canada, I was just hoping for any tips or suggestions that could be of use to myself and my wife, I work in construction and my wife is a qualified nurse but is now a operations director of a care home company.

We are going to submit a joint application I've booked our ielts test to begin the process.

I have researched quite a bit but still find new things pop up as to what we would need to get a robust application in place.

If anyone could be of any help as to what processes you've gone through especially if any jobs people have moved over for are similar to the ones above, or just general things to look out for or to expect so we have as much in place as possible.

Many thanks

Ash
Do you have a preference for a specific Province, or are you happy to go anywhere?

For job hunting I'd suggest looking at: www.jobbank.gc.ca - as an example: Construction/Site Manager - https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketrepo...ation/24302/ca (gives details of requirements and job opportunities) - it's a regulated profession in Alberta and Quebec / Nursing Home Manager: https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketreport/jobs/27139/ca
Or Indeed: https://ca.indeed.com/Manager-Long-Term-Care-jobs / https://ca.indeed.com/jobs?q=site+manager&l=
Even a Google Search will bring some jobs up .. You could also look on LinkedIn - connections help in Canada - also check out our invaluable Wiki section on job hunting too! https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categ...Hunting-Canada

For Operations Director of Care Home your wife may need to be registered with the Provincial Nursing body... something to check

Do you have a specific trade as well? Trades require lower points to get an invite under Express Entry
Have you checked to determine your NOC code? https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...tion-code.html

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 16th 2021 at 4:01 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2021, 10:06 am
Just Joined

Thanks All.

Some Great info and advice!! We are open minded when it comes to moving so we would consider any area.

My wife will recieve her certs next week to get the ECA validation process underway, hopefully we will have our ielts results next week also to get the application underway.

We've sorted our police check out also now so just waiting for them to come have ready when needed.

Again thanks for the advice its really helped us a great deal.

Best regards