Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

New Zealand versus Canada ?

New Zealand versus Canada ?

Old May 9th 2015, 2:13 am
Just Joined

Orange pony will become famous soon enough
Default New Zealand versus Canada ?

We have been living in New Zealand for 71/2 yrs after moving from Devon in the uk. We have enjoyed the ride for most parts but we are ready for a new adventure . Our kids are 16, 11, and 6. Thinking of moving to Ottawa suburbs . I am a registered nurse and my husband is an odp / anaesthetic tech hoping to train as anesthesia assistant in CA . Any comments ?
Old May 10th 2015, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

MrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand versus Canada ?

Go for it. Im not sure what Ottawa is like. But if your not worried about having to start a fresh again. Then go for it, you only live once.

Though I find Vancouver a lot like New Zealand. Backwards lol.
Old May 10th 2015, 12:05 am
Account Closed

vanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrHyperPants
Though I find Vancouver a lot like New Zealand. Backwards lol.
(sorry)
Old May 10th 2015, 12:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Being that your in the medical field, really check things out, Canada + foreign medical workers = a potential nightmare.

I know there is a nurse on here who is going through the motions, I am sure she will be along to give the deets.
Old May 10th 2015, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Orange pony
We have been living in New Zealand for 71/2 yrs after moving from Devon in the uk. We have enjoyed the ride for most parts but we are ready for a new adventure . Our kids are 16, 11, and 6. Thinking of moving to Ottawa suburbs . I am a registered nurse and my husband is an odp / anaesthetic tech hoping to train as anesthesia assistant in CA . Any comments ?
You have lived in a lush green island nation (UK), and you moved to another lush green island nation (NZ) and now are thinking about moving to the centre of a continent-sized landmass that bares no resemblance in lifestyle, geography, climate, etc. to either the UK or NZ. My question is this: why Ottawa?

Last edited by Lychee; May 10th 2015 at 12:30 am.
Old May 10th 2015, 1:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lychee
You have lived in a lush green island nation (UK), and you moved to another lush green island nation (NZ) and now are thinking about moving to the centre of a continent-sized landmass that bares no resemblance in lifestyle, geography, climate, etc. to either the UK or NZ. My question is this: why Ottawa?
Well we fancy a change , somewhere where there is more to do than just fish and the housing is more reasonable than west coast !! Um, and we have some friends who are relocating there soon and know of a good church plant happening this year and getting from the eastern side if Canada to uk is cheaper
Old May 10th 2015, 1:46 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I am Canadian living in Australia and if I were to move home it would be probably in the eastern Ontario region - Kingston/Brockville corridor. I love that area of the country and it's close enough to my hometown that I can visit occasionally.

I think the problem you're going to face is that overseas nursing qualifications are only partially recognised and you will be faced with the long and arduous task of getting your nursing registration. Your husband may have more luck as an asaesthetic tech, but I would (as JSmith said) do a lot of homework before thinking about giving up where you are for somewhere neither of you can work.
Old May 10th 2015, 6:32 am
Just Joined

UPSY is an unknown quantity at this point

We have been in NZ for 11 years and making the move to ontario next month.

The process for us was so much more painfull than the NZ process. You really need a job with a LMIA to get points.(we don't we are going intra company Transfer as the company Won't support any LMIAs)
Even with perfect language scores and both educated to university level. We don't hit the points needed and won't even after 2 years of work experience in Canada. After 29 you loose 5 point every year. But hopefully it will change and if not we will have had a great few years.

We went to visit Toronto last year and liked the area.
For us we wanted to be closer to family without living in the UK. One flight home is a very exiting prospect.
Also I can't wait to live in a country that as IKEA and Amazon. Every brit expat I know in NZ asked if there was an IKEA near were we are moving.

Although we are not in the medical field, every expat we know in their late 30s early 40s in NZ have reached a ceiling in NZ career wise they are all either accepting it and the easy life style or moving on.
Hope it all works out for you.
Old May 10th 2015, 9:54 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Orange pony
From the NZ thread discussing this....

If you have the money, I'd suggest that you do a recce first.

As a suggestion, through a web search look at what it takes to get qualified in your professions here, what job opportunities exist, look at the cost of living, housing etc.

Outside Canada - CNO

Apartments & Condos for Sale or Rent in Ottawa | Real Estate | Kijiji Classifieds

As you may be aware of the climate here in Ontario can go from +30c in the summer to minus -30c in the winter
Old May 10th 2015, 10:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by UPSY
We have been in NZ for 11 years and making the move to ontario next month.

The process for us was so much more painfull than the NZ process. You really need a job with a LMIA to get points.(we don't we are going intra company Transfer as the company Won't support any LMIAs)
Even with perfect language scores and both educated to university level. We don't hit the points needed and won't even after 2 years of work experience in Canada. After 29 you loose 5 point every year. But hopefully it will change and if not we will have had a great few years.

We went to visit Toronto last year and liked the area.
For us we wanted to be closer to family without living in the UK. One flight home is a very exiting prospect.
Also I can't wait to live in a country that as IKEA and Amazon. Every brit expat I know in NZ asked if there was an IKEA near were we are moving.

Although we are not in the medical field, every expat we know in their late 30s early 40s in NZ have reached a ceiling in NZ career wise they are all either accepting it and the easy life style or moving on.
yeah totally understand that , we actually looked at Canada years before we considered nz but it was so lengthy and drawn out and expensive we opted for nz instead so much easier . but now looking for the change again . and can relate to Ikea and amazon haha its stuff of dreams here in NZ !!! wishing you all the best well done on your perseverance
Old May 10th 2015, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

pacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the rough

Alberta is best for the money but might be hard swapping qualifications over degree is now needed
$47 an hour is not bad for a nurse that 15 years experienced for that
Old May 10th 2015, 8:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pacepeter
Alberta is best for the money but might be hard swapping qualifications over degree is now needed
$47 an hour is not bad for a nurse that 15 years experienced for that
Didn't realize Alberta paid a fair amount more then BC even, but it is Alberta.

Is that 15 years of experience anywhere or is it like other unions and 15 years with the same union?

In some unions you could have 20 years experience but go to a new job and new union, you start at year 1.
Old May 10th 2015, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Ottawa is a safe choice. It's a decent place to bring up a family. It's also close to Quebec. Also, Montreal isn't too far away. So some French Canadian culture is within driving distance. Your kids might enjoy that and the opportunity to become bilingual. I also like Kingston and the Thousand Islands region which also isn't too far away. The winters in Ottawa can be very long and harsh though. On the bright side, you get to skate on the Rideau Canal! Good luck!
Old May 11th 2015, 12:11 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by UPSY
every expat we know in their late 30s early 40s in NZ have reached a ceiling in NZ career wise they are all either accepting it and the easy life style or moving on.
Just popping in to post that I found this observation very interesting.

It is my perception that there was a large waft of 30/40 something's + kids coming into NZ around 2007. Our own area filled up with them. In fact one minute it seemed just us and the ten pound poms. Next it was loads of immigrant families from the UK , SA and Ireland.

It's currently my observation that many of them have or are in the process of moving back to the UK or on to Oz.

Anyway, not to derail the thread at all. Just that I found it interesting.
Old May 11th 2015, 12:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS
Just popping in to post that I found this observation very interesting.

It is my perception that there was a large waft of 30/40 something's + kids coming into NZ around 2007. Our own area filled up with them. In fact one minute it seemed just us and the ten pound poms. Next it was loads of immigrant families from the UK , SA and Ireland.

It's currently my observation that many of them have or are in the process of moving back to the UK or on to Oz.

Anyway, not to derail the thread at all. Just that I found it interesting.
Funny that , we moved in 2007 also it is definitely an age thing tho and all those that moved then may find themselves with children who are getting into teenage years and if they don't move now they are not going to be able to

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.