Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

From New Zealand to Canada, have you done it?

From New Zealand to Canada, have you done it?

Old Mar 1st 2010, 12:34 am
Just Joined

elmuzzerino is an unknown quantity at this point
Default From New Zealand to Canada, have you done it?

Hi Everyone.

I am an Expat Scot in my 8th Year of living in New Zealand (4 years in Wellington and 4 years in Auckland). My missus if from Nova Scotia, I have visited there in Summer and Winter and LOVE IT!

NZ is great in many ways but I have found as time passes that there are just so many things that I miss about the Northern Hemisphere (UK, Scotland, Canada) such as the Seasonal Change, Winter, Xmas, New Year, Snow, Pubs, Culture, Proximity to UK (Family)

(check out my link on <snip>

Ok Ok I know I have just confirmed the classic stereotype of a whingeing Brit, but as you all probably know, as an expat we do tend to 'compare' things a lot.

I guess I am just over NZ now with the leaky homes, expensive property, hoons, lame Xmas and New Year, Isolation, boring damp cold winters and other than the Maori, a severe lack of culture.

We are planning on making a move to Nova Scotia in 2014 and I would love to hear from anyone who has made a similar move. Maybe you can give me a little idea of the pro's and con's of living in Halifax or nearby.

Any Kiwis reading this, I do apologise if this seems a little offensive, I did leave Scotland after all for a reason and I know that the UK certainly ain't perfect.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 1st 2010 at 2:35 pm. Reason: link removed as per site rules
Old Mar 1st 2010, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

powderman75 has a brilliant futurepowderman75 has a brilliant futurepowderman75 has a brilliant futurepowderman75 has a brilliant futurepowderman75 has a brilliant futurepowderman75 has a brilliant future
Default Re: From New Zealand to Canada, have you done it?

Originally Posted by elmuzzerino
Hi Everyone.

I am an Expat Scot in my 8th Year of living in New Zealand (4 years in Wellington and 4 years in Auckland). My missus if from Nova Scotia, I have visited there in Summer and Winter and LOVE IT!

NZ is great in many ways but I have found as time passes that there are just so many things that I miss about the Northern Hemisphere (UK, Scotland, Canada) such as the Seasonal Change, Winter, Xmas, New Year, Snow, Pubs, Culture, Proximity to UK (Family)

(check out my link on <snip>!)

Ok Ok I know I have just confirmed the classic stereotype of a whingeing Brit, but as you all probably know, as an expat we do tend to 'compare' things a lot.

I guess I am just over NZ now with the leaky homes, expensive property, hoons, lame Xmas and New Year, Isolation, boring damp cold winters and other than the Maori, a severe lack of culture.

We are planning on making a move to Nova Scotia in 2014 and I would love to hear from anyone who has made a similar move. Maybe you can give me a little idea of the pro's and con's of living in Halifax or nearby.

Any Kiwis reading this, I do apologise if this seems a little offensive, I did leave Scotland after all for a reason and I know that the UK certainly ain't perfect.
have you ever been to Christchurch?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 1st 2010 at 2:35 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 2:30 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by powderman75
I have, but I don't see the relevance of your question to the posters comments.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 2:48 pm
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
I have, but I don't see the relevance of your question to the posters comments.
just a thought, but isn't the weather better in Chch (not so much rain during winter, more sun), the property cheaper etc? could be that some of the stuff that annoy the OP about Wellington & Auckland may not be issues in Chch? Would be a cheaper move too.
Sorry, I shouldn't butt in. Maybe NZ is just not meant to be..
Old Mar 1st 2010, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

Hey Guys,

yep I have been to Christchurch and quite like it. I did not like it the first few times I went, I found it to be a somewhat featureless city, (flat) but I do like the Snow in winter (Proximity to Mt Hutt)

Overall I think that there are many problems nationwide which NZ seems to suffer from. Just this morning on the radio the housing minister was being grilled over his plan to 'subsidise' insulation in NZ homes (Floor and Ceilings only) which after 1000's of homes later, still does not meet the minimum UN standard for a healthy home. That is simply crazy for a 1st world nation.

I often find that NZ is a nation of 'Style over Substance' where you can afford to drink the best coffee and dine in the best restaurants but you are unable to buy your own dry, warm home.

This last couple of weeks many Kiwis have remarked on the Vancouver Winter Olympics often stating that 'it must be freezing!' and 'I wouldn't want to live there!' ...

... myself and a few other expats exclaimed, 'mate, there is only one place I have been where it is cold, damp and bitter through winter' and that is right here! in Auckland.

Give me a frozen lake, snowball fight and snow forts over a boring cold, damp winter any day!

(sorry Kiwis, just being honest)

*I noticed the link option in the toolbar, but I got <sniped>? what gives?
Old Mar 1st 2010, 7:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

As I said, it's against site rules. You've posted it before and it was removed for the same reason.

Have a re-read of the site rules regarding advertising, and put it in your signature instead.

Old Mar 1st 2010, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

ah ok sorry, I did not see the reason link below it....

Cheers!
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

I was in Wainuiomata (near wellington) for almost a year before coming here.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 2:34 am
Just Joined

Imenz will become famous soon enough

I'm in Auckland (have been for 7 years, and Oz for 2 before that). I'm hoping to move to Vancouver next year to live with my boyfriend.
I adore Auckland, and don't really want to leave - I love it here, and love my life here too.
But, as he can't move to NZ I've got to move to Vancouver. I find it pretty similar to Auckland if I'm honest. Same sort of vibe to the city, although perhaps being bigger a tad more buzzy and vibrant. I'll be out in West Van though, so not really in the city itself.

I'm rather nervous about the move, but know it's the right thing to do for me at this time.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 1:37 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It would always be worth securing a right to return to NZ before leaving, such as an indefinite returning resident visa or NZ citizenship.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 2:58 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone.

(check out my link on <snip>

Uh oh.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

I often find that NZ is a nation of 'Style over Substance' where you can afford to drink the best coffee and dine in the best restaurants but you are unable to buy your own dry, warm home.

This last couple of weeks many Kiwis have remarked on the Vancouver Winter Olympics often stating that 'it must be freezing!' and 'I wouldn't want to live there!' ...

... myself and a few other expats exclaimed, 'mate, there is only one place I have been where it is cold, damp and bitter through winter' and that is right here! in Auckland.

Give me a frozen lake, snowball fight and snow forts over a boring cold, damp winter any day!

(sorry Kiwis, just being honest)

LOL! I totally agree with you, this is the coldest dampest place, Auckland. And I think 2 years ago was the coldest winter on record and I got the flu and it was so severe I felt like I was going to die.

There was a news report basically saying that we live in wooden tents and they're not suitable for the cold winters we get so there you go...
Old Mar 4th 2010, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

I would love to hear from anyone who has made a similar move.

I'm looking to move as well, from Auckland to Vancouver.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Imenz
I adore Auckland, and don't really want to leave - I love it here, and love my life here too.

But, as he can't move to NZ I've got to move to Vancouver. I find it pretty similar to Auckland if I'm honest. Same sort of vibe to the city, although perhaps being bigger a tad more buzzy and vibrant.

I'm rather nervous about the move, but know it's the right thing to do for me at this time.

I feel exactly the same as you and I love Auckland too and my life here is pretty terrific. It's great living here and has that similar feeling to Vancouver just that Van is bigger and better (from what I can tell anyway). I hope it's the right thing to do for me, moving to Vancouver, I dunno, just have to wait and see....

Last edited by Elizabeth I; Mar 4th 2010 at 5:25 am.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 5:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by powderman75

I don't like Christchurch.

But Nelson, the Tasman National Park and the Marlborough Wine region, (particularly Herzog Winery and Restaurant)....be still my beating heart.

http://www.herzog.co.nz/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.