Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

New to Vancouver,QUESTIONS :)

New to Vancouver,QUESTIONS :)

Old May 10th 2011, 12:13 am
Just Joined

roryjenkins is just really niceroryjenkins is just really niceroryjenkins is just really niceroryjenkins is just really niceroryjenkins is just really niceroryjenkins is just really niceroryjenkins is just really niceroryjenkins is just really nice
Default New to Vancouver,QUESTIONS :)

Hi people,
nice to meet you all!

New to Vancouver from Saturday and just wondering if a few people could help with a few Q's i have..

1.Looking for good recruitment agencies or websites to try.My background is customer service/sales/travel & tourism
2.rugby teams? mixed international or expat only teams.i miss it already!
3.Best places to look for rooms to rent ads?tried being scammed twice already on craigslist (living in a hostel at the moment)
4.Expat sports teams or social events

Hope some of you get time to give me a bit of info

Rory

Old May 10th 2011, 1:00 am
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: New to Vancouver,QUESTIONS :)

vancouver.ca.craigslist.org for all of your questions - it's your one stop shop.
Old May 10th 2011, 2:46 am
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

Careful though - craigslist is full of scams. As a foreigner it won't be easy or possible to see this. Most that involve rental properties advertise really nice places for low but realistic rent, and will accept cats dogs etc (most do not). However they always claim to be living abroad or on business and will mail you the keys when you pay the deposit. Basically it's a foreigner wanting you to mail them cash, but they advertise a nice apartment which is not too obviously a scam on face value. I would not recommend dealing with anyone other than in person, but even that you really should check if the person showing the apartment is the landlord or their rep, and not the former tenant posing as the landlord, who could be collecting deposits from many unsuspecting people, before doing a runner. This would be an easy scam to pull off and it seems there are many tenants going delinquent on their minimum term, so they probably feel they have very little to lose.
Old May 10th 2011, 10:32 am
Just Joined

roryjenkins is just really niceroryjenkins is just really niceroryjenkins is just really niceroryjenkins is just really niceroryjenkins is just really niceroryjenkins is just really niceroryjenkins is just really niceroryjenkins is just really nice

I'm kind of new to the whole renting thing aswell,how would I go about finding out if its the landlord or rep or just a tennant? Anyway I can be 100% I'm not being scammed when meeting in person?
Old May 10th 2011, 10:57 am
Just Joined

SwissBread is just really niceSwissBread is just really niceSwissBread is just really niceSwissBread is just really niceSwissBread is just really niceSwissBread is just really niceSwissBread is just really niceSwissBread is just really nice

Hi Rory

We are moving to Vancouver in August, so I don't have any personal experience yet with Rugby clubs, but I have tried to gather some information before we move, as my boys def want to continue playing (Mini) Rugby.

I've contacted the Vancouver Rowing club (dot ca), they play in Stanley Park, and the Capilano RFC (dot com) in North Vancouver. They both have been very nice and helpful and we wil def go and visit them in September... Maybe it's something for you.

Good luck with finding a place to live.

Kristina
Old May 10th 2011, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by roryjenkins
I'm kind of new to the whole renting thing aswell,how would I go about finding out if its the landlord or rep or just a tennant? Anyway I can be 100% I'm not being scammed when meeting in person?
This is a really difficult one. Anyone can advertise on Craigslist. The tenant will hold a key of course. If they post pics of a similar place, then the real landlord would not notice. Also as a prospective tenant, you have no assurance when you pay your deposit that the supposed landlord isn't collecting deposits from many people. Thankfully I don't have any experience of this, but there's few ways of checking.

For a previous place I rented, I was a bit suspicious of the person showing me the place. I asked him if he was the landlord and he said he was not, but an employee of the landlord. I asked who the property owner was, and then had a realtor check out according to property title. Sounds a bit over the top, but I was about to walk from the deal, as I trust my instincts on such things. The owner verified against the name I was given and all was well.

You could even ask the person showing you a property, if they are the owner, how you can be sure of this. Perhaps say you were scammed before and it's not a personal trust thing, but you're just being extra cautious. Going through an agency is another option, and much more likely to be genuine, but there is usually quite a premium to pay for this, by way of higher rents.
Old May 10th 2011, 1:21 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi people,
nice to meet you all!

New to Vancouver from Saturday and just wondering if a few people could help with a few Q's i have..

1.Looking for good recruitment agencies or websites to try.My background is customer service/sales/travel & tourism
2.rugby teams? mixed international or expat only teams.i miss it already!
3.Best places to look for rooms to rent ads?tried being scammed twice already on craigslist (living in a hostel at the moment)
4.Expat sports teams or social events

Hope some of you get time to give me a bit of info

Rory

I have sent you a PM on this subject, Rory.
Old May 10th 2011, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SwissBread
Hi Rory

We are moving to Vancouver in August, so I don't have any personal experience yet with Rugby clubs, but I have tried to gather some information before we move, as my boys def want to continue playing (Mini) Rugby.

I've contacted the Vancouver Rowing club (dot ca), they play in Stanley Park, and the Capilano RFC (dot com) in North Vancouver. They both have been very nice and helpful and we wil def go and visit them in September... Maybe it's something for you.

Good luck with finding a place to live.

Kristina
hey kris,
i had a look at them earlier so sent a couple of emails,thank for giving your info on the subject
yeh i think luck is what im going to need,hostels for now,should be fun!
Old May 10th 2011, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by helcat12
I have sent you a PM on this subject, Rory.
thanks, but maybe a little far out if im honest,does sound good i must admit
Old May 10th 2011, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

so dont laugh at this next question

joined Plenty of fish,dating site if you didnt know..is this the best free site for vancouver

Old May 10th 2011, 2:19 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

so dont laugh at this next question

joined Plenty of fish,dating site if you didnt know..is this the best free site for vancouver

I'd start with the rugby to begin with, if I were you.
Old May 10th 2011, 2:20 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by helcat12
I'd start with the rugby to begin with, if I were you.
I know you said don't laugh, sorry.
Couldn't help it.
Old May 10th 2011, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

I would of done the same!! Hahaha bas##ard haahah
Old May 10th 2011, 3:50 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Re: rental scams. They happen, but it is not so common that you should be paranoid about it. Just be sensible.

The advice you have been given above is good, but a few other things to consider:

* Always deal in traceable funds. Don't pay in cash. Walk away from a let if the landlord insists on being paid cash (he is doing something dodgy). Run away from a let if the landlord wants to be paid by Western Union or other untraceable way.

* From above, get some cheques from your bank straight away.

* Be sure who you are dealing with. I don't think it is unreasonable to ask a landlord for ID. Their driving license will have their address. Is it the same as on the rental contract?

* Only sign an approved rental agreement. You can find a copy here http://www.rto.gov.bc.ca/documents/RTB-1.pdf There is lots of good stuff on the rto webside about tenants rights and obligations, and how to conduct a tenancy.

* To start with it might be better to rent directly from a letting company rather than a private let or a sub-let. An alternative to craig's list is to walk the streets looking for To Let signs in the windows of apartment blocks. The West End is a good place to do this. Most apartment blocks will have a building manager that you deal with. If the building manager wants the deposit by cheque and the rent paid by pre-authorized debit (like direct debit in the UK) you can be reasonably confident.
Old May 10th 2011, 3:55 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
The West End is a good place to do this.
This. It's a good place (if not the best place) to start life in Vancouver imo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.