British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   New UK Travel Rules (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/new-uk-travel-rules-939476/)

GermanytoCanada Jul 8th 2021 12:47 pm

New UK Travel Rules

This morning's announcement in the UK regarding the quarantine requirements for amber list countries (for those fully vaccinated/children) looks like a big step towards getting UK family over to Canada for a visit (now that the FCO advice against travel to amber list countries will also be lifted from July 19th, allowing travel insurance to be valid once more).

However the Canada position is less clear. Canada is still stating that eligible family members (e.g. parents) can travel for family reunification but not for optional "visits". At what point does a trip to see family you have not seen in 2+ years stop being an optional visit and become reunification? Does anyone know whether reunification has a special (legal) meaning in these circumstances? The gov website talks of it needing to be a non-discretionary purpose but does not give any examples.

TIA

christmasoompa Jul 8th 2021 1:03 pm

Re: New UK Travel Rules

Originally Posted by GermanytoCanada (Post 13027246)
Canada is still stating that eligible family members (e.g. parents) can travel for family reunification but not for optional "visits". At what point does a trip to see family you have not seen in 2+ years stop being an optional visit and become reunification? Does anyone know whether reunification has a special (legal) meaning in these circumstances?

Parents of Canadian citizens/PR's are exempt from the travel requirements - https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ictions/family

HTH.

Atlantic Xpat Jul 8th 2021 1:53 pm

Sadly, today's announcement doesn't appear to make it possible for Brits living in Canada to visit UK without quarantine. It only applies to UK Citizens who got double jabbed in the UK, not to UK Citizens who have been vaccinated elsewhere. I'd really like to make it back to Blighty in September for my mums 80th as sure as hell she isn't going to travel here anymore.

HGerchikov Jul 8th 2021 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 13027264)
Sadly, today's announcement doesn't appear to make it possible for Brits living in Canada to visit UK without quarantine. It only applies to UK Citizens who got double jabbed in the UK, not to UK Citizens who have been vaccinated elsewhere. I'd really like to make it back to Blighty in September for my mums 80th as sure as hell she isn't going to travel here anymore.

I was disappointed to read that too, I am hoping for same timeframe as you with a September visit for my Dad's 91st. We missed his 90th for obvious reasons.

dbd33 Jul 8th 2021 3:51 pm

Same, but 98th.

crofty82 Jul 8th 2021 4:03 pm

The rule about it only applying if you got your shots in the UK is such BS! For anyone like me with a trip back planned and is hoping this rule changes, I urge you to lobby Grant Shapps - [email protected].

He'll ignore it obviously but we can but try.

TRC Jul 8th 2021 4:17 pm

So if my fully vaxxed Dad wanted to come over, he would still have to provide a 14 day quarantine plan?

crofty82 Jul 8th 2021 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by TRC (Post 13027318)
So if my fully vaxxed Dad wanted to come over, he would still have to provide a 14 day quarantine plan?

10 days if going Canada to the UK as it stands, or you can buy a 'Test to Release' kit which gets you out after 5 days with a negative test. No use for us though sadly as we have a 10-day trip planned.

TRC Jul 8th 2021 4:29 pm

Sorry I meant coming from the UK to Canada.

crofty82 Jul 8th 2021 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by TRC (Post 13027321)
Sorry I meant coming from the UK to Canada.

If he's not a citizen or PR then he has to quarantine.

Siouxie Jul 8th 2021 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by TRC (Post 13027318)

He would have to have a quarantine plan... but if he tested negative, likely wouldn't need it :)

All explained on the official website: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...try-vaccinated

scilly Jul 8th 2021 4:46 pm

The numbers of covid positive are increasing rapidly once again in areas of England and Scotland, and there are now the crowds for the soccer to be considered.

I would not be surprised to see lockdowns again, or other countries refusing to allow visitors from Britain.

I wouldn't get my hopes up for being able to make a visit, just as I, in the older age group, will not be getting my hopes too high about being able to travel within Canada to see my daughter and family come Christmas.

Make bookings if you will, but make sure you can get full refunds.

crofty82 Jul 8th 2021 5:00 pm

There's a petition as well

Allow ALL vaccinated British Expats to visit the UK without quarantining
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/585438

Revin Kevin Jul 8th 2021 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by GermanytoCanada (Post 13027246)
This morning's announcement in the UK regarding the quarantine requirements for amber list countries (for those fully vaccinated/children) looks like a big step towards getting UK family over to Canada for a visit (now that the FCO advice against travel to amber list countries will also be lifted from July 19th, allowing travel insurance to be valid once more).

However the Canada position is less clear. Canada is still stating that eligible family members (e.g. parents) can travel for family reunification but not for optional "visits". At what point does a trip to see family you have not seen in 2+ years stop being an optional visit and become reunification? Does anyone know whether reunification has a special (legal) meaning in these circumstances? The gov website talks of it needing to be a non-discretionary purpose but does not give any examples.

TIA

Reunification is just what it says. If they are qualifying family member re-uniting with you then the only other requirement is that the trip must be for more than 14 days.

OrangeMango Jul 8th 2021 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by crofty82 (Post 13027336)

It simply makes no sense to require British citizens to quarantine if they have been vaccinated twice only because they have been vaccinated overseas.

It makes one wonder why one gets vaccinated in the first place.

This is even more ridiculous if one is considering the nearly full stadiums for the UEFA cup games in the UK whilst implementing such strange rules on vaccinated travellers.