Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

New to this site - Burlington/Hamilton Area

New to this site - Burlington/Hamilton Area

Old Mar 5th 2011, 10:53 pm
Just Joined

britstu is just really nicebritstu is just really nicebritstu is just really nicebritstu is just really nicebritstu is just really nicebritstu is just really nicebritstu is just really nicebritstu is just really nice
Default New to this site - Burlington/Hamilton Area

Hi there,
New to this site and wondered whether people ever organize get togethers?
I have actually lived over here for over 5 years, yet still am struggling to make friends and settle in. I have to say, that being from the younger generation could have something to do with it since it seems that the way to meet people is extremely difficult, with people working hard, commuting long hours, less likely to go to the pub after work etc. If anyone has suggestions, they would be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance to anyone who does reply and have a great weekend
Old Mar 7th 2011, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

The Normans is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New to this site - Burlington/Hamilton Area

Hi There
My husband and I are actually moving to Burlington on the 24th March so will be in exactly the same position! I know from a quick search on the internet there are a couple of meet up groups in Burlington some of them are reading clubs etc and some which are for 20's/30's mostly based around pubs. If you fancy meeting for a coffee just give me a shout.
Gemma
Old Mar 7th 2011, 1:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britstu
Hi there,
New to this site and wondered whether people ever organize get togethers?
Yes. From time to time people, many of them old, meet in pubs and discuss access to cheese.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future

Hi there

We are just waiting for our visa's, so we are looking at coming over at the beginning of June. So, if you do start a meeting up/get together i would be up for that!
Anyone renting a property??

Thanks and good luck the Normans
Old Mar 7th 2011, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by The Normans
Hi There
My husband and I are actually moving to Burlington on the 24th March so will be in exactly the same position! I know from a quick search on the internet there are a couple of meet up groups in Burlington some of them are reading clubs etc and some which are for 20's/30's mostly based around pubs. If you fancy meeting for a coffee just give me a shout.
Gemma
Hi Gemma

Where are you moving to? Are you renting or buying?
Thanks
Old Mar 7th 2011, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

britstu is just really nicebritstu is just really nicebritstu is just really nicebritstu is just really nicebritstu is just really nicebritstu is just really nicebritstu is just really nicebritstu is just really nice

Hi Gemma,
Actually, I will be in Europe on 24th March, but back the beginning of April.
Perhaps we should just plan to arrange a pub evening event or something and see who might turn up for sometime mid-April?

Thanks for all the replies. To those who are coming over in June, there is lots to do in the summer, although hopefully you can make more progress than myself.

Hope to hear from you all
Stuart
Old Mar 7th 2011, 9:22 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE. There are meet ups from time to time. Cheese is not the only thing discussed

Anyone who wants to open up a meeting to a wider audience is welcome to add it to the site calendar. Im not sure how widely used it is though.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/calendar.php

Or else drop me a line and I will set up a sticky post so people dont miss it...

Cheers
Old Mar 7th 2011, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

Hi there Iaink,

Thanks for the post. Wanted to say, love the gallery - oh and the result yesterday wasn't too bad
Old Mar 11th 2011, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

The Normans is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
27mich71 we are going to be renting for the first year at least hopefully in the Burlington area. We are lucky enough to have family there who we can impose upon for the first few weeks while we find our feet. I take it you are thinking of renting too? If so I will keep you updated on our search and share any good sites or advice we find! It's been a bit difficult to find rentals from this side of the pond!

Britstu - I unfortunately am having to come back to the UK on the 5th April to tie up the UK side of things while my other half tries to find us somewhere to live (aargh) If you want to arrange something for April time then I'm sure he would be up for coming along. Either that or I will be over permanently at the end of June so we could aim for early July?

Think we should definitely organise something for July though as 27mich71 will be there too so we could have a mini celebration for our immigrations lol

Looking forward to finally getting over to Canada and getting settled in, it's been a long wait!
Old Mar 11th 2011, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

big ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nice

Hi Britstu
At first I thought it was my son,s post he to is a Brit called Stu living in Burlington been there ten years.Appleby and Corporate.On Thornburn Drive we are going on the 5th may for a holiday and landing at the same time.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

rosspcs is just really nicerosspcs is just really nicerosspcs is just really nicerosspcs is just really nicerosspcs is just really nicerosspcs is just really nicerosspcs is just really nicerosspcs is just really nice

Hi everyone we have lived here for about 5 years moved from surrey and are now living near waterdown and would love to meet up with people.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

nanna2 is just really nicenanna2 is just really nicenanna2 is just really nicenanna2 is just really nicenanna2 is just really nicenanna2 is just really nicenanna2 is just really nicenanna2 is just really nice

My Oh and I have been in Canada for 4 years and recently moved from Windsor to Burlington and would love to meet new friends from the old country
Old Mar 11th 2011, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Now in West London, but one day soon in Vancouver.....!
julius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond repute

hi iaink! long time no speaky!

i found when i was there, that its best to get acquanted with as many canadians as you can, as if you just stick to meetups of brits only, then i found you tend to close yourself off to the indigenous peeps; a bit like "them" and "us" thing, u know?

i did meet up with a few brits when i was there, and thats the sort of feeling i came away with.

i suppose it may work with some peeps and not with others.....

Originally Posted by iaink
Welcome to BE. There are meet ups from time to time. Cheese is not the only thing discussed

Anyone who wants to open up a meeting to a wider audience is welcome to add it to the site calendar. Im not sure how widely used it is though.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/calendar.php

Or else drop me a line and I will set up a sticky post so people dont miss it...

Cheers
Old Mar 11th 2011, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

Hi all

Looks like we are going to be needing a large venue for our celebration drinks!!!!! It would be great to meet up though and all share out joys (and anxieties)!

The Normans we are looking at renting too for 1 year, it's really hard to find any fully furnished homes. We are renting our UK home fully furnished, so won't be bringing any stuff with us.

Roll on July then for the party. Does any of you have children?
Old Mar 11th 2011, 6:25 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there an age limit to this meet up? Me being a woman of a certain age wouldnt like to slow the young folk down. Me and my geezer are partial to the odd glass of wine We can also talk on non cheese related subjects.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.