Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

New to Okotoks soon - need new friends!

New to Okotoks soon - need new friends!

Old Sep 27th 2008, 9:24 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to Okotoks soon - need new friends!

Originally Posted by simeongb
sadcasiy
shame yours don`t
Hey simeon,

1) are you that sad you need to trawl the forums looking for my posts.

2) at least my posts are written in english.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

simeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Hey simeon,

1) are you that sad you need to trawl the forums looking for my posts.

2) at least my posts are written in english.
1 no
2 WOW
Old Oct 1st 2008, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

ctcrm will become famous soon enoughctcrm will become famous soon enough

renting in Okotoks ?

Whats the deal with renting in that area, cimeron or the shores?

what with not being able to shift the house we might have to go down that route, what do you get for your money and how long are you tied in for ?

anyone know what are the nursery's like, cost etc ?
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

gibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nice

Hi all,

we are trying to head for Okotoks to, looking around Shores area. Wife and I and two kids, girl 10(nearly11) and boy 9. Have had a couple of reccies and think Okotoks is brilliant, can't wait to get there.
We had offer on house, but the couple buyers, dropped out last weekend, so we have hit rock bottom again.
We are hoping our kids will go to Dr Morris, looks a good school, very friendly and most welcoming.

Wifes (Tracey) brother and family relocated there back in Feb and have settled in great, we are so looking forward to joining them.

If you want to meet up over here before you go, give us a shout, could arrange a meet up for families that are heading out that way.

Or give my brother in law and family a shout, they are on here deanonlisa.

Any questions you might have, just ask will try to help.

What do you and hub do for living? Do the kids want to email our kids for a chat?

Cheers for now,
regards,
Carl
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

deanonlisa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ctcrm
renting in Okotoks ?

Whats the deal with renting in that area, cimeron or the shores?

what with not being able to shift the house we might have to go down that route, what do you get for your money and how long are you tied in for ?

anyone know what are the nursery's like, cost etc ?
Hi

We moved to Okotoks in Feb of this year and live in Crystalridge. we liked crystal as its close to the kids Pre-school etc. Its a good idea to rent first then you can find out what area of Okotoks suits you best. I think you are tied into the rental for 6 months then you can negotiate month by month, There are quite a few properties to rent at the moment and i think the cost depends on size of house and all that.
My son is 2 and Daughter 4. They both go to Okotoks pre-school academy. My daughter is 3 am's a week ( $210 per month) and my son is 2 ams a week ($150 per month) i think if you have PR you can claim child allowence of some sort. The pre-schools are pretty simular in cost i think. We had just got used to not paying for my daughter in the UK so came as a bit of a shock!!!! but they love it!!!!!
I believe that child minders cost around $6 per hour depending on the child's age.
Anyway good luck with the move and if you need anything else give us a shout.
Lisa.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

deanonlisa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snoopster
Hi
We are a family of 4 heading to Okotoks AB in early November. We hope to settle in the Crystal Shores/Drake Landing area, but may also consider Cimarron.
If there's anyone else heading that way soon or already there who would like to be our friends and would like to share experiences, or offer good advice then we'd love to hear from you!

The Stophers
Hi snoopsters,

We moved to Okotoks in Feb this year and live in Crystal ridge. My brother- in - law is gibbos who posts on here. (but dont hold that against us!!) just kidding lol!!
we really love it here. if we can help you in any way let us know. You can PM us and i will give you our contact details, if you fancy meeting up when you land. Hopefully it wont be too cold when you get here but you never know!!!!

Best of luck with everything.

Lisa.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 3:58 am
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jamie677
Hi its been the hardest for my 13 year old i think,he had lots of friends back home who he had been in school with from the age of 4,he really misses them,he is getting use to it out her now but is still very homesick.
he has started a new school and is a bit happy there because they paired him up with someone and they didnt do that in his old school.
he was fine before we came it hit him about 4 weeks after being here,its a hard age for them.
good luck with everything ,i m sure your daughter will be fine ,my daughter loves it here,may be its a girl thing
jamie

Update on poor Jamie677........ They are leaving Okotoks tomorrow morning back for the UK. Things have not worked out and I saw them today and have to admit I really felt for them. Their son never settled and with other problems certainly felt Okotoks was not for them.

I was very suprised to hear that they thought Okotoks was 'clicky' and even felt a prejudice towards english people I don't know I don't live there, and I am sure there are two sides to the story but to anyone moving from the UK, don't expect it to be a bed of roses and if you can do a research trip then get over here.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen Parnell
Update on poor Jamie677........ They are leaving Okotoks tomorrow morning back for the UK. Things have not worked out and I saw them today and have to admit I really felt for them. Their son never settled and with other problems certainly felt Okotoks was not for them.

I was very suprised to hear that they thought Okotoks was 'clicky' and even felt a prejudice towards english people I don't know I don't live there, and I am sure there are two sides to the story but to anyone moving from the UK, don't expect it to be a bed of roses and if you can do a research trip then get over here.
That's a real shame and for Jamie and family. You're absolutely right to underline that people should not expect everything to be wonderful (we're not suggesting Jamie and co did come here with such views) and we think it's unhelpful and unrealistic when people promulgate that view. We agree that research trips, where viable, are a great way to mitigate the risk of ending up somewhere that doesn't suit, be that Okotoks, Cochrane, Calgary or anywhere else for that matter.

As for Okotoks itself, we have yet to experience any anti English feeling at all - far from it in fact. Perhaps when things are going badly, we look at things differently and "I don't think I'm going to be happy here" can become a self-fulfilling prophecy??? For Jamie and co though, we wish them well for the journey home - they tried - they can always take much credit for that.

Eamonn & Janet.