Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

New and moving to Montreal (hopefully)

New and moving to Montreal (hopefully)

Old Apr 2nd 2010, 7:43 am
Just Joined

nkpldnmtl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New and moving to Montreal (hopefully)

Hi

Thought I would say hi and hoping to get in contact with other Brits in Montreal and Quebec.

My name's Nic. I'm a Brit and am in my final year (nay, final term hurrah!) of my degree in London and I am hoping to move out to Montreal as soon as possible to be with my boyfriend. I speak French or Franglais or Quanglais (and Dutch for good measure) as I have spent loads of time with his extended family and I studied at UQAM for four months as part of my Year Abroad.

We're trying to organise me getting out there and us getting married. What a nightmare! So much money and paperwork, and I am, as a student is liable to be, well into my overdraft and in debt to the Student Loans Company up to my eyeballs. I also have zero job experience, except years of waitressing. These are some of my major worries atm.

I'm really into travelling and Quebec. I think Montreal is just one of the best cities in the world. The people are so relaxed and friendly and have made me so welcome. I can't wait to get back!

So yeah, Hi!
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New and moving to Montreal (hopefully)

Originally Posted by nkpldnmtl
Hi

Thought I would say hi and hoping to get in contact with other Brits in Montreal and Quebec.

My name's Nic. I'm a Brit and am in my final year (nay, final term hurrah!) of my degree in London and I am hoping to move out to Montreal as soon as possible to be with my boyfriend. I speak French or Franglais or Quanglais (and Dutch for good measure) as I have spent loads of time with his extended family and I studied at UQAM for four months as part of my Year Abroad.

We're trying to organise me getting out there and us getting married. What a nightmare! So much money and paperwork, and I am, as a student is liable to be, well into my overdraft and in debt to the Student Loans Company up to my eyeballs. I also have zero job experience, except years of waitressing. These are some of my major worries atm.

I'm really into travelling and Quebec. I think Montreal is just one of the best cities in the world. The people are so relaxed and friendly and have made me so welcome. I can't wait to get back!

So yeah, Hi!
Good luck to you, my wife is from Montreal but we've recently left and come back to the UK. We lived there nearly 5 years and it is an amazing city but our time had come to move on. I don't speak French and I had no trouble finding work so don't worry too much,

Jonathan
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

So yeah, Hi!
par-le vous french coma se ve???
Old Apr 6th 2010, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

davef81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, I moved to Montreal from the UK back in December with my French-Canadian wife (have been married for two and a half years). I'm living east of downtown, so it's pretty much French speaking.

I've been here for 4 months now. I have basic understanding of "Quebecois" (getting better everyday) and seem to be fitting in just nicely.

I've had no trouble finding work at all (at the time, I was only able to speak English). I started applying for jobs in the middle of January, I started work beginning of March.

Good luck with your move!
Old Apr 7th 2010, 10:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by davef81
Hi there, I moved to Montreal from the UK back in December with my French-Canadian wife (have been married for two and a half years). I'm living east of downtown, so it's pretty much French speaking.

I've been here for 4 months now. I have basic understanding of "Quebecois" (getting better everyday) and seem to be fitting in just nicely.

I've had no trouble finding work at all (at the time, I was only able to speak English). I started applying for jobs in the middle of January, I started work beginning of March.

Good luck with your move!
Hi

Thanks very much. That's really good news about the work situation. We're trying to find a solution to getting me in the country and working without getting married straightaway cos we would prefer more time to prepare.

So are you enjoying Montreal? We're based near Hotel Dieu Hospital. What about you guys?
Old Apr 7th 2010, 10:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Journeyman Electrician
par-le vous french coma se ve???
se ve tray ben pour mway mare-see. ay twuay?
Old Apr 7th 2010, 11:38 pm
Just Joined

Hi

Thanks very much. That's really good news about the work situation. We're trying to find a solution to getting me in the country and working without getting married straightaway cos we would prefer more time to prepare.

So are you enjoying Montreal? We're based near Hotel Dieu Hospital. What about you guys?
Yes, I'm loving it here in Montréal! It's a great city. Pleased I made the move (the wife is too )

I live towards the east of the island (near the Olympic Stadium), mostly French speaking here, but with the help of Rosetta Stone, my French language is coming along nicely.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by davef81
Yes, I'm loving it here in Montréal! It's a great city. Pleased I made the move (the wife is too )

I live towards the east of the island (near the Olympic Stadium), mostly French speaking here, but with the help of Rosetta Stone, my French language is coming along nicely.
Félicitations! My mother-in-law actually knows someone in the teaching-immigrants-French sector and is going to get back to me regarding classes, have you not tried those? I got the impression that they dole them out like sweeties in Quebec.

I may have a lot of questions for you in the future Sir!
Old Apr 9th 2010, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

Félicitations! My mother-in-law actually knows someone in the teaching-immigrants-French sector and is going to get back to me regarding classes, have you not tried those? I got the impression that they dole them out like sweeties in Quebec.

I may have a lot of questions for you in the future Sir!
I've not had chance to attend one of the full-time language courses here yet, work is keeping me busy enough. I am however planning on applying for part-time courses soon! (Government funded of couse! )