Wikiposts

New menber

Old Jun 12th 2008, 5:25 am
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of
Post Re: New menber

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
If you don't already have authorization to work in Canada, recruitment agencies cannot help you. Yes, you could have an informational interview with one or two of them to get a sense of what salary you might be able to earn, what skills are required for the field in which you want to work, and so on.

But, beyond one or two meetings with head hunters, you should focus your efforts on potential employers.

You should phone several of them and send your resume to them before you go to Canada on a recce trip.

Then, when you go on your recce trip, take spare copies of your resume (and also take an electronic version of your resume on a memory stick so that you can print off more copies if needed). This will enable you to give your resume to prospective employers whom you may meet during your recce trip.

If you haven't already done so, you would do well to read all the articles in the Job Hunting-Canada section of the Wiki.

You can get a rough overview by reading Quick Job Hunting Instructions-Canada.

Although you need to read all the articles in the Job Hunting section, the one that would be of most immediate use to you, I believe, is Finding Job Opportunities.

Hope that helps.
x
Thanks for the advice Judy, it is much appreciated.

Do you think the expo is a good place to meet prospective employers? Would it be better for my OH to go alone or is it the sort of event that families attend?

tracys
Old Jun 12th 2008, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=nikki dreaming;6460816]Hi,

Would agree fully with Judy's advice.

We contacted potential employers prior to our trip and sent resume's and were then able to have meetings set up with people for when we arrived.

We also took copies of our resume's with us and did a drive round all the companies that were suitable for us and dropped in the resume and had a brief chat.

We haven't been to expo but visited emigrate show at Sandown in March, I think it depends on your line of work as to how useful they can be. There are loads of other companies there for removals/finance etc so these may be beneficial.

Thanks Nikki,

Will pass on all this valuable info to my OH. He is so busy with his job, very stressful,:curse: and also studying for a degree at the same time. As a result I am the one doing the majority of the research and planning.

We are getting help from a relocation company which is great. They are going to forward OH resume' to prospective employers for us too. We have arranged to meet with them during our visit, and they're also going to show us different types of properties and areas.

Is it really ok to just walk in to a company and give them your resume'?
Old Jun 12th 2008, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Smile Re: New menber

Originally Posted by me.julie23
Hi Tracy,
Welcome to BE, join the club of British leaving the UK. Canada is a nice place to live where ever it may be. I think people wanting to come just have to get the jobs they are able to get and maybe think of moving to the place they wanted when they have their PR. Some are lucky to get job offers on the place the wanted to settle.
This place is full of info and nice happy bunch of people.
Good Luck to your family.
Thanks for the warm welcome Julie,

Yes it does seem to be a really friendly site, everyone is so helpful. I just hope that I will be in a position to help others in the future.

Are you already in Canada or still waiting to get there?
Old Jun 12th 2008, 5:58 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New menber

Is it really ok to just walk in to a company and give them your resume'?[/QUOTE]

Yes, we found this was fine, infact the more face to face networking you can do the better. We found after speaking to a potential employer they also gave us details of other places they knew were looking for staff

I wouldn't take kids to a show personally, depends on their age, but for most I would say they would be bored rigid!!!
Old Jun 12th 2008, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
Is it really ok to just walk in to a company and give them your resume'?
Yes, we found this was fine, infact the more face to face networking you can do the better. We found after speaking to a potential employer they also gave us details of other places they knew were looking for staff

I wouldn't take kids to a show personally, depends on their age, but for most I would say they would be bored rigid!!![/QUOTE]

Kids are 11 and nearly eight and very well behaved and we don't really have anyone to leave them with. I suppose OH could go on his own though.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 6:49 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tracys

I wouldn't take kids to a show personally, depends on their age, but for most I would say they would be bored rigid!!!
Kids are 11 and nearly eight and very well behaved and we don't really have anyone to leave them with. I suppose OH could go on his own though.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure they will be fine, they are a bit older than mine! just take something for them to do!
Old Jun 12th 2008, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

sim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Julie_p
Hi Tracys, good luck to you we originally wanted to go to nova scotia but found work hard to find, hubby has a job offer now in calgary and we are hoping to move by the end of the year, what does your OH do?

Julie x
My hubbie is a plumbing & heating engineer, and has had a good response in NS with his job hunting, don't think that he will have problems finding work once we have permanent residence.
I think that some of the more remote areas are more desperate for plumbers, and if you don't mind where you go, it is worth a try to mabey get an LMO, then fast track PR.

Last edited by sim2point4; Jun 12th 2008 at 8:12 am. Reason: more info
Old Jun 12th 2008, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

Julie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sim2point4
My hubbie is a plumbing & heating engineer, and has had a good response in NS with his job hunting, don't think that he will have problems finding work once we have permanent residence.
This is probably true but we didnt want to wait the 5years or more for pr, so we chose the twp after hubby secured a job with good pay in calgary, have you gone for the skilled worker route yourself?

Julie
Old Jun 12th 2008, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Smile Re: New menber

Originally Posted by sim2point4
I think that some of the more remote areas are more desperate for plumbers, and if you don't mind where you go, it is worth a try to mabey get an LMO, then fast track PR.
Sounds like you're nearly there you must be so excited. It seems that plumbers are in demand everywhere! and not just Polish ones

Maybe OH should have decided on a different career. From what I have learned so far IT is an area where there are shortages of manpower but it seems to be mostly in web dev. or support positions. The fact that my OH has climbed the ladder to the position of director may not be in our favour. We will just have to keep looking and hope there is a job out there for him somewhere. At this stage we are just desperate to get out of here so any of the maritimes or BC will be given serious consideration.

Good luck with your medicals, hope all goes smoothly for you

tracys
Old Jun 12th 2008, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

sim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Julie_p
This is probably true but we didnt want to wait the 5years or more for pr, so we chose the twp after hubby secured a job with good pay in calgary, have you gone for the skilled worker route yourself?

Julie
Yes, and we have had our update letter, next stage I guess is medical requests, so we are quite far advanced now, been waiting 29 months so far...
In Nov last year hubbie had a phone call from a plumbing & heating firm in Yarmouth, NS, who he had previously applied for a job there, but heard nothing, this employer rang out of the blue and asked if hubbie was still interested, well at this stage we were, so employer got an LMO, as he said that they were desperate, as they were losing all their tradesmen to the West, higher wages, etc, the job was even validated by the union, who recognised the employers efforts to recruit plumbers overseas. By this stage we were set on a different area in NS, and as our skilled worker application was 2 years old, we decided to wait for permanent residence. The job offer is still open to him, as the employer said that the previous year he had hired an apprentice from England, and had waited over 6 months for him. So there are employers in NS willing to apply for an LMO, but it will be the bigger companies more likely to be more pro active in recruitment.
Sim
Old Jun 12th 2008, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Sounds like you're nearly there you must be so excited. It seems that plumbers are in demand everywhere! and not just Polish ones

Maybe OH should have decided on a different career. From what I have learned so far IT is an area where there are shortages of manpower but it seems to be mostly in web dev. or support positions. The fact that my OH has climbed the ladder to the position of director may not be in our favour. We will just have to keep looking and hope there is a job out there for him somewhere. At this stage we are just desperate to get out of here so any of the maritimes or BC will be given serious consideration.

Good luck with your medicals, hope all goes smoothly for you

tracys
Many thanks tracys, best of luck to you in your emigration plans...
Sim
Old Jun 13th 2008, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

Daniel E. is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone,

My family and I are hoping to get to Canada asap. Have applied under skilled worker visa, but we all know how long that takes, so are hoping that my OH will be able to secure a job sometime soon. We have already visited Calgary, Vancouver and the rockies and been on a recce to Vancouver Island, which we loved. We were set on VI as a destination untill we were told by our immigration lawyer that it would be virtually impossible for my OH to secure a job there before we land with PR.

After our second visit to the emigrate show this year we were told we had more chance of getting a job offer in Nova Scotia as they are more in need of people, everyone seems to be going west apparently. So I've done some research and booked a recce for August of this year. I just hope it is as beautiful as it looks!

Tracys x
Hello Tracey's,

Nova Scotia is indeed a beautiful Province and offers a fabulous lifestyle assuming you want to reside in a low population, low crime, beach filled area with loads of very friendly people.

There are many job prospects here as well due to youth out-migration to the Alberta oilpatch and baby boomer retirements. Please feel free to fire off any questions you may have on the Province and the real estate market and I'll answer them accordingly. I live in Fall River which is a suburb of Halifax, a wonderful "family first" community.

Congratulations on the decision to have a closer look at Nova Scotia; let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Daniel E.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Daniel E.
Hello Tracey's,

Nova Scotia is indeed a beautiful Province and offers a fabulous lifestyle assuming you want to reside in a low population, low crime, beach filled area with loads of very friendly people.
Sounds like my kind if place. For as long as I can remeber I have found myself drawn to the ocean. I read somewhere that NS is like Cornwall, which I love, only with friendlier people. The low crime aspect is also very important as we have two young children. It is one of the main reasons for wanting to leave the UK.

There are many job prospects here as well due to youth out-migration to the Alberta oilpatch and baby boomer retirements. Please feel free to fire off any questions you may have on the Province and the real estate market and I'll answer them accordingly. I live in Fall River which is suburb of Halifax, a wonderful "family first" community.
The fact that there are more job prospects in NS is the main reason that we decided to look into it as a possible stepping stone on our journey to BC. But once we started to do some research we realised that NS could actually be the better option for us. Shorter flight times from the UK, I in particular hate flying and the children aren't too keen either. Cheaper housing, or more for your money than on V Island. Plus it looks simular to our lanscape here in blighty. I am absolutely in awe of the mountains but I'm sure I would miss our rolling green landscape a little after a while.

I'm sure I will have lots of questions as time goes by, especially after our trip, so thank you so much for the offer. Its great to be able to chat to like minded people about our plans. People who understand why we want to do this and what it is like to go through this process. I don't know about your personal experience but I am finding particularly hard to talk to my very close friends about my dream as I am essentially leaving them behind It's hard because they probably don't understand why you want to leave them when they are such an important part of your life. Just wish I could take them with me.

Congratulations on the decision to have a closer look at Nova Scotia; let me know if I may be of further assistance.
Daniel E.
Thanks again for your kind offer,

tracys
Old Jun 16th 2008, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

Daniel E. is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks again for your kind offer,

tracys
There is an excellent Government website that will give you a nice overview of the Province and alot it has to offer, try:

http://novascotia.com/en/home/default.aspx

Daniel Chisholm, Fall River
Old Jun 17th 2008, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Daniel E.
There is an excellent Government website that will give you a nice overview of the Province and alot it has to offer, try:

http://novascotia.com/en/home/default.aspx

Daniel Chisholm, Fall River
Thanks Daniel,

Will check it out.

TracyS