Wikiposts

Old Jun 6th 2008, 6:43 am
Just Joined

mcurtis_1999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New member

Hi everyone

I'm new to the forum so thought it would be right to introduce myself a little...

Well, I'm Mark, I'm English but I've been living in France for the last few years. I've been seriously thinking about moving to Canada for the last few years now but am still unsure on where yet (views would be appreciated!) as long as it's got a low crime rate and got 'some' life...
Old Jun 6th 2008, 6:49 am
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New member

Originally Posted by mcurtis_1999
Hi everyone

I'm new to the forum so thought it would be right to introduce myself a little...

Well, I'm Mark, I'm English but I've been living in France for the last few years. I've been seriously thinking about moving to Canada for the last few years now but am still unsure on where yet (views would be appreciated!) as long as it's got a low crime rate and got 'some' life...
Hello Mark...welcome to BE...check out Wiki for some info........best wishes...x
Old Jun 6th 2008, 8:04 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to BE!

What line of work are you in?

The wiki is full of info, although it will take some time to get through it

Good luck in your quest
Old Jun 6th 2008, 9:08 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi MCurtis

Welcome to BE we are a friendly bunch in here, and I hope you get a good welcome.

What are your hobbles and interests and it might help with suggestions after all Canada is a very very big place indeed.

Have you been to Canada before and what draws you to it?

Cassie
Old Jun 7th 2008, 1:09 am
swoops

swoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to all

Hi mcurtis...
Old Jun 7th 2008, 1:40 am
Just Joined

mcurtis_1999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi and thanks for the welcome,

Everyone here do seem to be very friendly and of course the website is a great fountain of information and opinion.

In answer to the questions above though....

No, I've never been to Canada before, (very nearly went to Med Hat in '92 with the Army, but sadly missed out) I know what some people are going to say... "do a recce trip 1st to see if you'll like it", but I'm 34, don't have a partner or any Kids and don't really need to play the 'safe' card yet. I like to throw myself in the deep end and see where I 'pop up'. A bit of a callous, arrogant attitude, but you only live once and I see it as an extraordinary journey that is a definate 'can't be missed' experience...

What I do...
Well, since leaving the Army, I've done quite a bit, from Postal Services, Coach Driving to Chauffeuring and Close Protection - Since I've been in France, I've worked in the Holiday Industry doing everything from Gardening to Construction/Building work - I'm actually looking to getting back into Coach Driving although it has been some time since I last drove one...

What I want from Canada...
Change would have to the 1st answer, but looking deeper, I think it would have to be a better standard of living in a Country that I've always considered as one of the most beautiful and passionate Countries in the World and of course, it would have to be the opportunities for me that are synonymous with a move to Canada.

Mark
Old Jun 7th 2008, 2:09 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, Mark.

Please see post #3 in the thread entitled Canada work permit/immigration advice needed please. The advice that I gave to Moody1 is partly applicable to you too.

A little while ago I heard that the City of Calgary was recruiting overseas for bus drivers, although the salary is not high in a city that, by Canadian standards, is expensive.

Skilled tradespeople are in demand in several provinces, but I don't know how experienced you are. It doesn't sound as if you could get in as an electrician or plumber, for example. However, in Alberta at least, a carpenter does not have to have done formal exams and gone through an apprenticeship. The employer just has to satisfy himself that the prospective employee has the necessary skills. I don't know if, from the construction you've done in the hotel industry, you're good enough at carpentry to apply as a carpenter.

There is such a big labour shortage in Alberta and BC at the moment that it's possible for semi-skilled and unskilled people to get in as, for example, hotel receptionists.

The problem with those jobs, if you come in on a temporary work permit, is that you cannot upgrade to a permanent residence visa via the skilled worker route. That avenue is available only to people in Skill Levels 0, A and B on the National Occupational Classification Matrix.

However, I think I may have seen that people in occupations that require a low level of skill but that are in high demand can get permanent residence via British Columbia's Provincial Nominee Program. It's at least worth looking into to check if my hunch is correct. The problem, again, is that the jobs pay relatively poorly in areas that, by Canadian standards, are expensive.

Something to consider, if you have to resources to do it, is the Nova Scotia Community Identified Stream.

But, frankly, I don't know if any strategy I've suggested to you would give you a better standard of living. I'd be surprised if it did.

Anyway, if you want to investigate any of the things I've mentioned, there are articles about them or links to them in the Wiki section of this website, to which there is a link in my signature, below.

Hope that's useful.
x
Old Jun 7th 2008, 5:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Doomed to be stuck in the West Midlands forever!!!!
Twink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to all

Hello and welcome to BE.....good luck with your venture!!

Mrs Twink
Old Jun 7th 2008, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

me.julie23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: New member

Welcome to the forum and sure you'll be in good hands here. Do a trip of the city you wanted to settle in and see how you get on. We just recently relocated here in Edmonton and we love the place.
As you are single you've no tags so you can see the available jobs in the city you want to settle. May well be worth having your resume on hand to hand in to companies and get interviews whilst you are there.
Good Luck to You