Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

New lows for the pound 1.67 vs c$

New lows for the pound 1.67 vs c$

Old Oct 6th 2009, 10:49 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New lows for the pound 1.67 vs c$

on another note, no pun intended, for those of us who are still having a wobble every now and again, does this exchange rate make you think about going back? as it may give you some security or options financially that you never had before. lower house prices in better areas is what i was thinking specifically.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 10:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
on another note, no pun intended, for those of us who are still having a wobble every now and again, does this exchange rate make you think about going back? as it may give you some security or options financially that you never had before. lower house prices in better areas is what i was thinking specifically.
I am sure that somebody else said this on another thread recently
Old Oct 6th 2009, 10:55 pm
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

I'm developing a morbid curiosity, I find myself peering at the exchange rate sites way too often.
It's like discovering your parents having sex - you now you shouldn't look, but you just can't help yourself.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 11:04 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
really, interesting, obviously missed it. what was the outcome do you remember?
Old Oct 7th 2009, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

Deva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
That would be me.

Originally Posted by rae
really, interesting, obviously missed it. what was the outcome do you remember?
A few people said the exchange rate is encouraging them to go back to the UK.

A few said they were happy here thank you very much and money would not make them want to go back.

One or two were shocked that anyone would even consider going back for financial reasons and saw it as a betrayal of all things Canadian, or a blindness to all things rubbish about the UK or something along those lines.

Pretty much as expected.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 1:57 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bsmith
I'm developing a morbid curiosity, I find myself peering at the exchange rate sites way too often.
It's like discovering your parents having sex - you now you shouldn't look, but you just can't help yourself.
Weirdo.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 3:03 am
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by Deva
That would be me.

A few people said the exchange rate is encouraging them to go back to the UK.

A few said they were happy here thank you very much and money would not make them want to go back.

One or two were shocked that anyone would even consider going back for financial reasons and saw it as a betrayal of all things Canadian, or a blindness to all things rubbish about the UK or something along those lines.

Pretty much as expected.
i would not say i would leave just for this, or that money should/would solely be a factor leaving uk or staying in canada. for those on a knife edge, just curious if this may be the tipping factor, particularly if it keeps going down.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

I wonder if the pound is weakening because of the Labour Party conference and the negative mood following. If an election is called, no doubt it will go up considerably.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 8:21 am
Is it that time already

Tony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to all

Originally Posted by singingringingtree
I wonder if the pound is weakening because of the Labour Party conference and the negative mood following. If an election is called, no doubt it will go up considerably.
I agree, the mere wif of an election would create a positive impact, however old Gorden will not call an election until last knockings...that's for sure!!
Old Oct 7th 2009, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
i would not say i would leave just for this, or that money should/would solely be a factor leaving uk or staying in canada. for those on a knife edge, just curious if this may be the tipping factor, particularly if it keeps going down.
If the exchange rate went to $1.1 to 1 GBP, I would seriously consider transferring some money over there or possibly buying a place. Just because I changed at $2.18 just over 3 years ago and would be a fool not realise at least some of that return. Plus for the long term I dont think it would stay at $1.1.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Canadian Dollar

Originally Posted by Tony the pilot
I've been watching the CAD over the last six months and can't believe how strong it's become against the GBP, surely it has to bottom out at some point.

Anybody have an thoughts
One point of view:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/exchange-rates

Notice that the housing market in the UK has had some increases recently. Well, these figures are based on a small number of properties and many properties are being bought by people abroad taking advantage of the exchange rate. However, some believe that property in the UK is still due for another correction.

Last edited by johnh009; Oct 7th 2009 at 7:54 pm.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rae
This article claims property is still overvalued by 38% in the UK:

http://blogs.thisismoney.co.uk/this_...-finished.html
Old Oct 7th 2009, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Or those of us who have salaries fixed in Sterling
Or pensions....
Old Oct 7th 2009, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Spritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by macadian
Or pensions....
Me too...$2.52 when we came here so this is having a big impact.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 7:12 am
Is it that time already

Tony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to all
Default Re: Canadian Dollar

Originally Posted by johnh009
One point of view:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/exchange-rates

Notice that the housing market in the UK has had some increases recently. Well, these figures are based on a small number of properties and many properties are being bought by people abroad taking advantage of the exchange rate. However, some believe that property in the UK is still due for another correction.
Peoples love affair with property in the UK will never come to an end, it will always be cyclic. I've been in the property business for over twenty years and hold what I consider to be a fairly large portfolio. At the present time my balance sheet is about 20% down, give it two years it will be 20% above what it was.

The term credit crunch is pretty much off everybody's lips now and the market has seen some growth in the last quarter, so hopefully this is the start of recovery.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.