Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

new location advice - Fernie BC

new location advice - Fernie BC

Old Apr 19th 2013, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

angelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant future
Smile new location advice - Fernie BC

Sooo ive been short listed for a job in Fernie Bc.
What can people tell me about the place. Ive googled it but personal experiences would be helpful.
Also, i had my heart set on living in Kimberley, is a daily commute between the 2 plausible or would i be better off living in Fernie itself
Answers on a post card please....
Old Apr 19th 2013, 3:26 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new location advice - Fernie BC

I've added the area to the title for you and moved your thread to the 'Canada' forum - I think you are more likely to receive responses that way.

A friend of the family went to work in Fernie over the winter of 2010 and absolutely loved it, however, that was for a seasonal job - I have no idea what it would be like to live there year round.

http://fernie.com/

As to commuting - according to Google it's 117km and an hour thirty to drive there - always assuming the roads are clear of snow!

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 19th 2013 at 3:28 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

I have never lived in Fernie, nor have I visited Kimberley, but I have travelled around Cranbrook (nearby Kimberley) and have driven to Fernie late at night. This is not a fun drive to do as a daily commute! (Why commute 3 hours a day when you don't need to?) You are talking about twisty mountainous highways in the Rockies in one of the snowiest parts of BC (in the winter). In winter and spring, avalanches and mudslides are a reality, which may prevent you from getting home/going to work for over 24 hours. Not a fun commute, but a beautiful leisurely drive on the weekend when weather is good. My advice would be to live in Fernie to help you settle and get used to your community. Spend less time commuting - it will give you more time to settle. Once you become familiar with day to day life and become adjusted to everything you take for granted in the UK, then perhaps look into Kimberley. You'll understand whether this is something locals do. Yet again, I don't believe this is a wise move given the nature of the topography and climate of this area, however, having never lived there, take my advice with a grain of salt.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Inse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond repute

I have been to Fernie many, many times for work. I am a certified energy advisor and have gone to a lot of homes there, both new and old.
Fernie is ok. There seems to be a good community atmosphere there with many young families. Housing though can be expensive. although there is a good mix. I have been to some of the old mining homes, that really should be torn down IMHO, that have been bought for silly money to renovate.
The ski hill is just out of town and is a big employer.
Another employer there must be the 'Dude Machine' All winter there is a steady line of 'dudes' all looking the same (baggy trousers and jacket, crash helmet, snowboard tucked under the arm) stood at the side of the road with the thumb stuck out for the lift, just as you leave the town on the main road. Apart from Rossland, Fernie is the snowiest place I go to, there is a lot.

I have just bought a building plot in Kimberley and will be building a small place there for me and my wife, once I can sell our place here in Creston. Much cheaper than Fernie.
The ski hill in Kimberley is very close to town. Again, a nice feel about the town plus being close to Cranbrook is good for general shopping, hospital etc.
As with Fernie there are plenty of trails around the area and easily accessible.

I wouldn't consider a commute between the two to be sensible. The road itself is actually very good and the trip would normally be around an hour ten-fifteen. In the winter though all bets are off. I have left Fernie in ok weather with no snow, get halfway back to Cranbrook and find myself in a white out, not the highlight of the day! There is also the occasional avalanche on the road between Fernie and the tunnel which can also be a hold up.
Hope this helps. PM me if you want any more info.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Quaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really niceQuaks is just really nice

Fernie is great if you love to ski, hike and mountain bike. The spring and autumn are beyond depressing though the town is dead because all the tourists are gone and all the locals go on holiday because it will literally rain for weeks non stop. But the summers and winters are amazing.

Fernie is a bit of an odd town don't expect anything done on time, everything is sorted on Fernie time, as soon as we get 20cm of snow the town shuts down for the morning, last year had a appointment with the bank manager for 10am she didn't turn up she went skiing with the rest of the locals.

Also because of location you pay a premium for everything food is expensive, house prices are extremely high because of us mine workers you are looking at a minimum of $500,000 for anything near decent. Although apartments are cheaper.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Inse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Quaks

Fernie is a bit of an odd town don't expect anything done on time, everything is sorted on Fernie time,
We have the same sort of clocks here, only Creston time. Must be a Kootenays thing.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

angelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant future

Thanks for your responses. Ive looked to see if there 's somewhere mid way that i could live but there doesn't seem to be :-(
Rent does seem much higher for accommodation there but i suppose id spent that on fuel if i commuted
Old Apr 20th 2013, 2:16 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angelic applicant
Thanks for your responses. Ive looked to see if there 's somewhere mid way that i could live but there doesn't seem to be :-(
Rent does seem much higher for accommodation there but i suppose id spent that on fuel if i commuted
Don't underestimate the weather. It seems you have your heart set on it as you are justifying it with the fuel / rent savings.

Winter storms (6 months of the year) are not fun at all and can be very dangerous.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 2:53 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Inse
We have the same sort of clocks here, only Creston time. Must be a Kootenays thing.
Not just the Kootenays same clocks on Vancouver Island. Everything runs on Island time.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Don't underestimate the weather. It seems you have your heart set on it as you are justifying it with the fuel / rent savings.

Winter storms (6 months of the year) are not fun at all and can be very dangerous.
Completely agree. The Kootenays aren't a place to pursue a commuter lifestyle.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

Let It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond repute

We ummed and arred about where to buy when we were looking for our vacation home back in 2007. In the end it was price that meant we bought in Kimberley rather than Fernie, and we're so glad we did.
Kimberley has such a friendly atmosphere and there is heaps to do; mountain biking, hiking, fishing, and the hill for snowboarding (the main reason we're here). The downtown platzl area can be a bit off-putting to begin with, but if you see past the Bavarian theme, you'll see a locals town that doesn't lose it's soul when the ski season finishes.

And while I prefer Kimberley over Fernie, I'd still be happy to live in Fernie if it was my only way into Canada; it's a nice enough town with plenty going on (but it sometimes feels it's trying too hard to be 'rad' and cool all the time, and i'm beyond cool now!!!).

I agree that trying to commute between Kimberley and Fernie would be sketchy in the winter; the snow can close in quick, and while the roads seem to be cleared quickly, driving through the storm isn't fun.

You might want to look at Jaffray / Baynes Lake as areas between Fernie and Kimberley, but I can't offer any advice on what they're like to live in, only they're small communities on the main highway between Cranbrook and Fernie, and from what I can see driving through them, they're pretty quiet with not much beyond basic amenities - petrol station / coffee shop (i'm not even sure there's a store there?), but you may find your halfway house there...

Good luck
Old May 6th 2013, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

canuck22 has a brilliant futurecanuck22 has a brilliant futurecanuck22 has a brilliant futurecanuck22 has a brilliant futurecanuck22 has a brilliant futurecanuck22 has a brilliant futurecanuck22 has a brilliant futurecanuck22 has a brilliant future

Just found this post and want to say hi! I was born and raised in Kimberley and am looking to immigrate back to canada (specifically Kimberley) with my british husband and 2 kids.

Having lived in Kimberley for nearly 20 years, I would not recommend commuting to Fernie everday. Between the animals on the road and the winter driving you would be better off living somewhere in the middle as a previous poster had suggested.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Living in the kootenays will be the best decision you will ever make!
Old May 7th 2013, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for your responses, i should hopefully hear back re the job in the next couple of weeks. as it stands the contract is only 12 months so i'd only have to deal with 1 winter. one of the ladies interviewing advised that she'd done the commute for 14 years and only ever had 5 days off in that time due to snow.
i suppose ill have to wait to see if im successful and then decide. thanks though for your responses they have helped x
Old Aug 12th 2013, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

alipeesha is an unknown quantity at this point

hi- did you make a decision? im moving to fernie next week!
Old Aug 15th 2013, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

Hey alipeesha, well I made ny mind up moved to Kimberley and attacked the commute. However my job after day 2 became permanent and the commute was proving difficult as I was drifting off at the wheel and didn't feel I could commit properly to Kimberley or fernie sooo after much deliberation I've found somewhere in fernie. Im currentlyon 3 wi training in Vancouver so when it finishes on 24th I move to Fernie when do u get there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.