Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

New link for British TV

New link for British TV

Old Feb 5th 2011, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New link for British TV

Thats a pretty good speed there sapper - I may try a month on the package you are on(I am on the one lower) and see what i get out of it

I think 90% i am going to change back to Aliant in May as I havent been very happy with my speeds , 4.5 most of the time
Old Feb 5th 2011, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nldfc
Thats a pretty good speed there sapper - I may try a month on the package you are on(I am on the one lower) and see what i get out of it

I think 90% i am going to change back to Aliant in May as I havent been very happy with my speeds , 4.5 most of the time
It's a strange world...and the very reason I moved from Aliant. It was awful what they were delivering to my place.

I am getting a discounted rate at the moment....I don't bundle so I can retain a little bit of the initiative...if I feel the need to tell them to poke it. I have my own Rogers modem...bought on Ebay...for 10 bucks.

The speed you are on is fine, I wanted more bandwidth not more speed.

Is Aliant really unlimited at least for now (withing reasonable limits)...?

I ended up with:
Details for January 05, 2011 - February 04, 2011
Usage to date: 96.05 GB
Additional Use Charges: $1.50

Your current bill (less cell phones)....

Internet: 47.99
Home Phone: 24.67
Your current bill (before taxes): $72.66
HST: 9.44
Total: $82.10

Savings - You saved $17.95 on your Rogers services.

Last edited by airbornesapper; Feb 5th 2011 at 1:55 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Right now I am on a completely free deal from Rogers from when I bought the house last May - Free TV - phone and internet for a year so I cant complain too much

I was on Aliant in my last house and found it a hell of a lot faster and no cap limits ( I only moved 300 yards so I expect it too be the same in this house )

As I say , I may upgrade to the package you have for the last month and see if its any better - I do a hell of a lot of streaming and downloading so I really could do with the extra speed
Old Feb 5th 2011, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

SivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorfolkNumpty
Its the unlimited packages that they are targetting, I have a usage limit of 75gb and with all my downloading, streaming and PS3 I have never gone over.
Not at all .... it's a "cash grab" across the entire internet packages, with harsh costs, especially here in our part of Canada. The biggest issue being, the penalty for going over the Caps ($2 for High Speed Lite/Standars - and $1 for Extreme, Warp, Nitro I believe?)

People say it's pushing people to move up to the next package, or it's simply moving towards "pay as you go" .... either way, it's not winning awards with the Canadian Public.

All the best.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 8:47 pm
Banned

NorfolkNumpty is just really niceNorfolkNumpty is just really niceNorfolkNumpty is just really niceNorfolkNumpty is just really niceNorfolkNumpty is just really niceNorfolkNumpty is just really niceNorfolkNumpty is just really niceNorfolkNumpty is just really nice

Its the smaller providers who buy bandwidth from the larger players and provide unklimited packages who are under threat. The CRTC ruling means that Bell, Shaw. Etc can get away with not selling the bandwidth
Originally Posted by SivoxII
Not at all .... it's a "cash grab" across the entire internet packages, with harsh costs, especially here in our part of Canada. The biggest issue being, the penalty for going over the Caps ($2 for High Speed Lite/Standars - and $1 for Extreme, Warp, Nitro I believe?)

People say it's pushing people to move up to the next package, or it's simply moving towards "pay as you go" .... either way, it's not winning awards with the Canadian Public.

All the best.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

SivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond repute

... in a way, that is correct.

You said "unlimited packages" ... and didn't draw attention to smaller providers, like Teksavvy etc.

Regardless, it's going to hurt many groups of people, not just the "bandwidth hogs" ... but as we know, discussions are still in progress, so we will see how it all shakes out come 1st March.

All the best.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 10:00 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Others who watch more streaming TV and download more torrents, are.
Im currently on a mobile broadband with a cap of 5gig here in more rural Ireland. I could cry
Old Feb 6th 2011, 2:32 pm
Banned

NorfolkNumpty is just really niceNorfolkNumpty is just really niceNorfolkNumpty is just really niceNorfolkNumpty is just really niceNorfolkNumpty is just really niceNorfolkNumpty is just really niceNorfolkNumpty is just really niceNorfolkNumpty is just really nice

Wait till you experience Canadian cell phone's then, I've got a 1gb cap
Old Feb 9th 2011, 12:23 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorfolkNumpty
Wait till you experience Canadian cell phone's then, I've got a 1gb cap
Mine isnt a phone its the laptop, just called mobile (dongle) cos you can move around with it.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

nigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to all

Good news - I've got BBC iPlayer working in the US (recorded programmes only, not live, but that's OK with me).

No more feeling annoyed that I've paid my licence to fund the BBC, but am not able to watch the programmes...

I followed the instructions at http://www.stabeler.com/blog/533/How...orking_abroad/ and it worked first time. Easy peasy.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

joepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by airbornesapper
Glad you avoided a right Rogering...good to see things worked out.

http://www.realstreet.co.uk/wp-conte...-em-tshirt.jpg
Is that pic a web clip or your Basic Training photo?
Old Feb 21st 2011, 10:24 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nigel_horne
I followed the instructions at http://www.stabeler.com/blog/533/How...orking_abroad/ and it worked first time. Easy peasy.
I just had a brief look at those instructions.

They may not be hugely complicated but