Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

New link for British TV

New link for British TV

Old Nov 26th 2010, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New link for British TV

I was on Aliant High speed for 5 years and never once had a problem - problem only appeared since I moved to Rogers
Old Nov 26th 2010, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

nikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nldfc
Personally - I usually have a least one of the computers downloading torrent movies in the house and both are generally uploading to keep the ratios good.

In addition to that I watch a lot of the streamed games possibly as much as 5 or 6 a week plus any other streams of interest
really wish could get Living TV and Sky 1 they the channels I miss most. Miss Road Wars, Street Wars, Nothing To Declare, Passport Patrol and Border Patrol
Old Nov 26th 2010, 6:46 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Personally - I usually have a least one of the computers downloading torrent movies in the house and both are generally uploading to keep the ratios good.

In addition to that I watch a lot of the streamed games possibly as much as 5 or 6 a week plus any other streams of interest

I was on Aliant High speed for 5 years and never once had a problem - problem only appeared since I moved to Rogers
Which suggests Aliant is good enough. But someone else didn't think so.

And others who have problems...are they doing as much? I get the impression from previous threads that anyone so much as watching anything live is pushing it.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 6:55 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Which suggests Aliant is good enough. But someone else didn't think so.
Aliant - DSL - is fine if you are at a location where you can get a decent service level. The famous 'How close you are to the exchange' quote beloved of engineers and tech support people. I am not close enough because the advertised 'up to 7Mbps' high speed internet turns out to be something less than 3Mbps with frequent drop outs. As I've said before, I'm no techie, but as an example, Skype Video was choppy and pixelated on the Aliant service. On Rogers it is much clearer but since my internet connection is some 7 times faster, Id' expect that.

Download caps are not a problem for me as I am not a heavy downloader. Others who watch more streaming TV and download more torrents, are.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 8:23 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Download caps are not a problem for me as I am not a heavy downloader. Others who watch more streaming TV and download more torrents, are.
The last two evenings I've had cricket streamed for about 4 hours on my computer, each night, while my wife was downloading movies for much of the same time on hers.

Is that not heavy then? Or is heavy a longer period?
Old Nov 27th 2010, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Pebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nice

Thanks nldfc!
I have thouroughly enjoyed watching Strictly Come Dancing and the X factor tonnight, though ITV was a lot more glitchy than BBC1. DH is watching footie now.

You are a star.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Welsh Tony is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
What Rogers internet service have you subscribed to? I have the 25mbps package, one down from the ultimate. If you are on the 10Mbps deal then your speeds are pretty reasonable.

I moved back to Rogers from Aliant because where I am, I can only get 3Mbps with them and thats with drop-outs. Might be different to you being closer the the mythical exchange!
Have you got any way of checking contention ratios? Just tried the site and although I am only on a 3Mbps service (and achieving very close to it) I can watch it with no drop outs or lag issues.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Welsh Tony
Have you got any way of checking contention ratios? Just tried the site and although I am only on a 3Mbps service (and achieving very close to it) I can watch it with no drop outs or lag issues.
How would I go about checking those ratios ?
Old Dec 19th 2010, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

Welsh Tony is an unknown quantity at this point

How would I go about checking those ratios ?
haven't seen any programs to check it... here is some info

"your slow broadband speed test result could be down to the contention ratio of your broadband package - this refers to how many other subscribers share the network connection between you and the exchange. Contention is a feature of ADSL broadband.

If you see a contention ratio of, say, 50:1, this means that 50 subscribers share that bandwidth. The more subscribers sharing the bandwidth then the slower your connection will be. 50:1 is common for a residential package. Business packages often have lower contention ratios, eg of 20:1, or even 10:1, because it is essential to them that they have a continually fast service. The contention ratio certainly isn't the only factor determining download speed but it could be part of the cause of slow speeds, or the main cause, particularly if your sharing subscribers are heavy users"

Assume that the information will be in your internet package details or ask customer services...
50:1 is typical over here, not sure what it is like in Canada?
Old Dec 19th 2010, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

cannot get anything to run in fullscreen any idea's?
Old Dec 19th 2010, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Will have a look at that Tony - Thanks
Old Dec 19th 2010, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by shelley748
cannot get anything to run in fullscreen any idea's?

Take your mouse to the top right or left hand side of the "tv" screen and double click - If you do it to close to the middle your page turns into a commercial

Thats one way - pretty sure someone will point out an easier way
Old Dec 19th 2010, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

KerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really nice

Hey Guys. I just came across this link and i have downloaded and it seems to work. I dont know about this company though.. I am going to get my dad to look at it for me.. because i dont really know what i am downloading apart from the fact i can now watch I player..

If any one knows about this one. Let me know.

http://www.expatshield.com/
Old Dec 19th 2010, 3:35 pm
Displaced Disgrace

Joe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=695954

May help..
Old Dec 19th 2010, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by KerinaK2008
Hey Guys. I just came across this link and i have downloaded and it seems to work. I dont know about this company though.. I am going to get my dad to look at it for me.. because i dont really know what i am downloading apart from the fact i can now watch I player..

If any one knows about this one. Let me know.

http://www.expatshield.com/

I think there are a good few on here that use it but I have never been keen on the ip masking apps as the computers I use are all company owned - I also found they had a habit of "hijacking" things that you wouldnt think they needed to be involved with

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.