Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

New life in Canada - tell me I'm not deluded

New life in Canada - tell me I'm not deluded

Old Jul 10th 2005, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: New life in Canada - tell me I'm not deluded

Originally Posted by bonny
Hi there.
Bonny here. I just checked you profile and see you are a Canadian living in England. I have a question for you regarding visa's. If and when I move back to the UK my Canadian boyfriend will be coming over as well. Have you any info to help him.

Thanks again
Bonny: My Canadian wife (when she was just my girlfriend) moved to the UK, and we married there. She stayed on a fiance's visa, and when we married she had a visa for two years. We applied in April this year for "indefinite leave to remain" - but found to our dismay that she wasn't automatically approved. We were horrified to find that we had to provide proof that we were living as man and wife and had done since the wedding. As fate had it I took a job transfer to Ottawa so we didn't have to progress it any further, but I'm terrified of the thought of what may have happened to us if without that transfer. Apparently the British Government were tightening up - this was in the run up to the election - and the documentation that we had wasn't sufficient to prove we were actually living together. They wanted to see joint bank statements, house rental with both names, stuff like that. We could provide them with separate bank accounts with the same address, and Council Tax bills with both names on, but this was not enough.
So, I recommend you get a joint bank account, and get jointly owned or rented accommodation. Keep all paperwork - we dumped ours due to a house move, big mistake.
We also went through an agency. There are a few around but it may be worth the UKP300 or so just for their advice. They'll know the bear traps to avoid. The first thing they said when we hired them was - get a joint bank account. Unfortunately for us this advice came too late, but we're in Ottawa now - for ever.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

bonny is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Snave
Bonny: My Canadian wife (when she was just my girlfriend) moved to the UK, and we married there. She stayed on a fiance's visa, and when we married she had a visa for two years. We applied in April this year for "indefinite leave to remain" - but found to our dismay that she wasn't automatically approved. We were horrified to find that we had to provide proof that we were living as man and wife and had done since the wedding. As fate had it I took a job transfer to Ottawa so we didn't have to progress it any further, but I'm terrified of the thought of what may have happened to us if without that transfer. Apparently the British Government were tightening up - this was in the run up to the election - and the documentation that we had wasn't sufficient to prove we were actually living together. They wanted to see joint bank statements, house rental with both names, stuff like that. We could provide them with separate bank accounts with the same address, and Council Tax bills with both names on, but this was not enough.
So, I recommend you get a joint bank account, and get jointly owned or rented accommodation. Keep all paperwork - we dumped ours due to a house move, big mistake.
We also went through an agency. There are a few around but it may be worth the UKP300 or so just for their advice. They'll know the bear traps to avoid. The first thing they said when we hired them was - get a joint bank account. Unfortunately for us this advice came too late, but we're in Ottawa now - for ever.
Thanks so much for that Snave.So I guess the key thing is both name's on everything.What is UKP300 ??
Old Jul 14th 2005, 6:59 am

Covenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much for that Snave.So I guess the key thing is both name's on everything.What is UKP300 ??
United Kingdom Pounds?
Old Jul 14th 2005, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

brit_in_fizroy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by snowqueen
Hi all
I'm fairly new to this site and read everything with interest. However, there seem to be a lot of you out there critical of Canada (not all it's cracked up to be?) and the GTA in particular. Seeing as we are hoping to move to the GTA (close friends in Newmarket, though I have my eye on Oakville ..) I'm beginning to worry if we're not deluded!

We are attracted to Canada for all the usual reasons - we can afford a house and lifestyle over there we could only dream of here; we love the whole outdoor life, from ski-ing to canoeing (sorry, kayaking!) and everything in between;we look forward to all the opportunities and activites our kids will have open to them; low crime/cleanliness etc etc... but is there a catch ?(apart from all those trout my husband has his eye on!) We have lived abroad before and are reconciled to the whole leaving family thing, but what else is there to worry about?!

We have been over 4-5 times, - holidays up at our friends cottage etc (we've even been in winter!) and have seen what we could hope to enjoy and like what we see! Our friends are dying for us to go over and have naturally done a great selling job, but I would really like to hear other voices (a 2nd opinion if you like) - especially if you have made the move to the GTA with kids in tow (ours are 10 and 8). After all, there is more to life than material stuff....

I don't think your deluding yourselves, you've done your homework and seen the country first hand. There are a lot of negative views on the forum; which is expected as people come here for solutions. The successful immigrant no longer needs this site. I come here when I need a break from work to see If I can help out with my own experiences. Been here 7 years in Ottawa, High Tech, Luv it. And tell Hubby The Great Lakes Trout and Salmon could eat the UK sized ones for breakfast.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold

Sorry - 300 UK Pounds - my keyboard hasn't got a "pound" symbol . This is about Ca$650 - umm - six hundred and fifty Canadian Dollars.
And yes - you're right, get as much "joint" stuff as you can - photos together, bank accounts, accommodation. You have to prove you are together, and your relationship isn't just a matter of convenience for your boyfriend.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry - 300 UK Pounds - my keyboard hasn't got a "pound" symbol . .

Tip : Just cut at paste.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

bonny is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry - 300 UK Pounds - my keyboard hasn't got a "pound" symbol . This is about Ca$650 - umm - six hundred and fifty Canadian Dollars.
And yes - you're right, get as much "joint" stuff as you can - photos together, bank accounts, accommodation. You have to prove you are together, and your relationship isn't just a matter of convenience for your boyfriend.
Thanks again
Old Jul 15th 2005, 12:43 am
Just Joined

ernest is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't be deluded this is the greatest country and once you get over your little bit of homesickness which I think we all have you'll be fine.I have lived here 38 years and was dead British when I got here but the best thing I ever did apart from marrying my wife was coming to Canada you'll love it .
Old Jul 15th 2005, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

brit_in_fizroy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ernest
Don't be deluded this is the greatest country and once you get over your little bit of homesickness which I think we all have you'll be fine.I have lived here 38 years and was dead British when I got here but the best thing I ever did apart from marrying my wife was coming to Canada you'll love it .

ditto
Old Jul 16th 2005, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by brit_in_fizroy
ditto
nice to see people still picking up on this thread and thanks for the words of support! It's been 3 years since we first started looking at moving to Canada and 2 since we decided to go for it. In that time, only about 10 per cent of the time do I wonder if we're totally barking, the other 90 per cent I'm sure its the right thing for us and the kids. THe waiting game certainly gives you plenty of time to reflect on your decision and perhaps that's a good thing! (there has to be one!) ...We're June 04 OAR and waiting....

Snowqueen