Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

New life in Canada - tell me I'm not deluded

New life in Canada - tell me I'm not deluded

Old Mar 11th 2005, 7:40 pm
Glaswegian

Default Re: New life in Canada - tell me I'm not deluded

Originally Posted by markedel
Re: "Who you know" certainly networking counts-but I'm not sure how many people network at undergrad (I could be wrong but North American post-secondary education tends to allow more flexibility, especially in regards to screwing up).
I remember watching a news story about a high school event in Alberta that had pulled children in from all over. The prime advantage the young girl in the story had about it all was that "Its a good opportunity to network" - direct quote from a child!

Even school kids are aware of the importance of networking here.

Mrs G

Old Mar 11th 2005, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Little Hazel is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

Have read your comments with interest. My husband three children and I moved to Burnaby B.C. in May of last year and it was the best thing we ever did. When we got here we almost immediately rented a house, bought a car etc. and got ourselves established. Our children went to school and fitted in straight away. It was a great challenge for them especially the one who will be 16 soon. His advantage was he is a good football player and was straight away put on a football programme attached to the Provincial side of things and this he enjoys every day. It is not all roses in the garden, my husband found that the way they drive here drives him to distraction especially as we had to re take out test when we arrived. Emigrating here is not for the faint hearted it is a really big decision, but once you get here, life is safer cleaner and people are so much more friendly than from where we come from in Brighton, Sussex. Every day I remind myself why we did this and every day I can see why. Hope this helps you, be strong and go for it.

Originally Posted by snowqueen
Hi all
I'm fairly new to this site and read everything with interest. However, there seem to be a lot of you out there critical of Canada (not all it's cracked up to be?) and the GTA in particular. Seeing as we are hoping to move to the GTA (close friends in Newmarket, though I have my eye on Oakville ..) I'm beginning to worry if we're not deluded!

We are attracted to Canada for all the usual reasons - we can afford a house and lifestyle over there we could only dream of here; we love the whole outdoor life, from ski-ing to canoeing (sorry, kayaking!) and everything in between;we look forward to all the opportunities and activites our kids will have open to them; low crime/cleanliness etc etc... but is there a catch ?(apart from all those trout my husband has his eye on!) We have lived abroad before and are reconciled to the whole leaving family thing, but what else is there to worry about?!

We have been over 4-5 times, - holidays up at our friends cottage etc (we've even been in winter!) and have seen what we could hope to enjoy and like what we see! Our friends are dying for us to go over and have naturally done a great selling job, but I would really like to hear other voices (a 2nd opinion if you like) - especially if you have made the move to the GTA with kids in tow (ours are 10 and 8). After all, there is more to life than material stuff....
Old Mar 11th 2005, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

prose is an unknown quantity at this point

Where abouts in Dublin are you? We're in Monkstown, planning to head to Ontario. I would be really interested to her your different views on both countries (not that I have any doubt which has more to offer lifestyle-wise). It's good to know there's someone out there in this city who's also decided to leave. All the people I know here are Sooo settled, they would never dream of moving anywhere and privately (and not so privately!) say we're mad. It can be a bit demoralising. Do PM me and we can compare notes! What's your timescale?

SQ
Hi Snowqueen,
I think people will always object in some way when the idea of moving abroad is mentioned, usually it's because they will miss you. It's really up to you and what you want regardless of the objections! Don't get disheartened. I'm not up to date on internet jargon, can you tell me what (PM) is? I am based in Balbriggan and we're looking at next year perhaps. My husband has to finish out his contract before we can make a move, this will give us some time to get ourselves organized!!!
Old Mar 11th 2005, 10:48 pm
Invisi... K

ksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by prose
can you tell me what (PM) is?
personal message
Old Mar 12th 2005, 10:53 am
Just Joined

prose is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: New life in Canada - tell me I'm not deluded

Originally Posted by ksct97
personal message
Ohh, I c, doh!....thanks
Old Mar 12th 2005, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Little Hazel
Every day I remind myself why we did this and every day I can see why. Hope this helps you, be strong and go for it.
Thanks for encouragement. I needed that today!

We are planning to move to Toronto, but have been to Vancouver in the past and oved it. Are now starting to wonder if maybe it's an option after all. Saw some nice houses in Burnaby - how far is it to commute from the city/ where is it exactly and what's it like as an area.

Any other suggestions of places to dream about??
Old Mar 12th 2005, 6:20 pm
Glaswegian

We are planning to move to Toronto, but have been to Vancouver in the past and oved it. Are now starting to wonder if maybe it's an option after all.
Not much snow out that way.

Mrs G

Old Mar 12th 2005, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Not much snow out that way.

Mrs G
Hmmm - there's the catch! That and the extra distance from home....

But I do like the sea ....
Old Mar 12th 2005, 7:03 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm - there's the catch! That and the extra distance from home....
I don't know which city in the UK represents home for you. You'll have the biggest selection of flights from Canada if you are willing to fly to London, but there also are flights to Manchester and Glasgow. Since I don't know which UK airport is of most interest to you, I'll assume Heathrow for the purposes of this exercise. A quick Internet search reveals the lengths of non-stop flights from some Canadian cities to Heathrow:

From Montreal : 6 hours 35 minutes

From Toronto : 7 hours 15 minutes

From Calgary : 8 hours 55 minutes

From Vancouver : 9 hours 35 minutes

Although Vancouver is 2 hours 20 minutes further from Heathrow than Toronto is, I would not consider that extra flying time, on its own, to be a reason for choosing Toronto over Vancouver.

I'm not trying to knock Toronto. It may be the best destination for your family for all kinds of reasons. I'm just pointing out that, because flights from Western Canada to the UK go over the North Pole (or relatively close to it), they are not as long as a glance at a map initially may suggest.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 7:14 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
I don't know which city in the UK represents home for you. You'll have the biggest selection of flights from Canada if you are willing to fly to London, but there also are flights to Manchester and Glasgow. Since I don't know which UK airport is of most interest to you, I'll assume Heathrow for the purposes of this exercise. A quick Internet search reveals the lengths of non-stop flights from some Canadian cities to Heathrow:

From Montreal : 6 hours 35 minutes

From Toronto : 7 hours 15 minutes

From Calgary : 8 hours 55 minutes

Although Vancouver is 2 hours 20 minutes further from Heathrow than Toronto is, I would not consider that extra flying time, on its own, to be a reason for choosing Toronto over Vancouver.

I'm not trying to knock Toronto. It may be the best destination for your family for all kinds of reasons. I'm just pointing out that, because flights from Western Canada to the UK go over the North Pole (or relatively close to it), they are not as long as a glance at a map initially may suggest.

But the flights from the West are insanely expensive - try flying home with a family from Vancouver at peak times......cheapest flight prices for my lot to LHR in July - just over $5,000.
Old Mar 13th 2005, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Judy

Thanks for putting me in the picture regarding that. I knew that Van. wasn't like double the flying time or anything, but perhaps its more the mental idea of being physically further (for my folks, not me!) and the time difference. Presumably it's quite a bit more expensive too to fly to Vancover?
Old Mar 13th 2005, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dingbat
But the flights from the West are insanely expensive - try flying home with a family from Vancouver at peak times......cheapest flight prices for my lot to LHR in July - just over $5,000.
Just seen this message - I think that answers my question. Ho hum, there's always a catch.....

SQ
Old Mar 13th 2005, 2:56 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by dingbat
It's not much cheaper flying from Calgary to the UK ... plus you need a mortgage to fill the fuel tank of a rental car.

Also ... you guys over there drive on the wrong side of the road ....

Old Mar 13th 2005, 3:03 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know which city in the UK represents home for you. You'll have the biggest selection of flights from Canada if you are willing to fly to London, but there also are flights to Manchester and Glasgow.
From a regional UK centre it may be easier/cheaper to fly direct to somewhere like Amsterdam or Frankfurt and fly to Canada from there, as opposed to flying out of Heathrow.

Jeremy
Old Mar 13th 2005, 3:21 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by JAJ
From a regional UK centre it may be easier/cheaper to fly direct to somewhere like Amsterdam or Frankfurt and fly to Canada from there, as opposed to flying out of Heathrow.
Tried both with two young kids ... easy isn't the word ... given a choice, I fly direct.

Having said that, the airport staff in Amsterdam were incredibly helpful ... we almost missed out connecting flight so they drove us through the airport on one of the little electric buggies ... the kids thought it was great.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.