British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   New in Kingston (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/new-kingston-778381/)

martyn1324 Nov 22nd 2012 1:28 am

New in Kingston

Hi,

I got to Canada about almost two months ago. After a few weeks living with friends in the Torontoish area I got a job in Kingston, Ontario. I have been here coming on a week now, it seems like a nice enough town but right now I am pretty much all on my tod. So I jumped on t'internet and found this forum. Does any body here abouts fancy a pint or something this weekend?

Cheers

anunlikelyunion Nov 22nd 2012 8:59 am

Re: New in Kingston

Originally Posted by martyn1324 (Post 10395410)
Hi,

I got to Canada about almost two months ago. After a few weeks living with friends in the Torontoish area I got a job in Kingston, Ontario. I have been here coming on a week now, it seems like a nice enough town but right now I am pretty much all on my tod. So I jumped on t'internet and found this forum. Does any body here abouts fancy a pint or something this weekend?

Cheers

Hi Martyn,
sorry to say we can't join you this weekend, as we're still in UK. But have just done medicals and are hoping to move to Kingston Spring/Summer time next year, if you're still there then we'll defo meet up for a drink or ten if you want!
Gaby and Tony

misplacedheidi Nov 22nd 2012 2:39 pm

http://kssc.ca/

This might be of interest for you. Depends if you are sporty or not?

There are plenty of people who go down the Toucan on Princess Street on a weekend for beers – lots of Brits there – they show football of course.

martyn1324 Nov 24th 2012 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by misplacedheidi (Post 10396363)
http://kssc.ca/

This might be of interest for you. Depends if you are sporty or not?

There are plenty of people who go down the Toucan on Princess Street on a weekend for beers – lots of Brits there – they show football of course.

Sadly I am not much of a sporty person, not in this sense anyhow. I like to walk and cycle and things like that but I have never been one for teams games. Thanks for the tip though.

martyn1324 Nov 24th 2012 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by anunlikelyunion (Post 10395928)
Hi Martyn,
sorry to say we can't join you this weekend, as we're still in UK. But have just done medicals and are hoping to move to Kingston Spring/Summer time next year, if you're still there then we'll defo meet up for a drink or ten if you want!
Gaby and Tony

Hi,

Well that is no big deal. I am not sure if I will still be here come Spring but give me a shout you never know. It would be nice to meet for a few beers.

ultrarunner Nov 24th 2012 6:45 pm

So what you are trying to say is, you work better alone? :rofl:

Hobbies (outdoor activities or indoor) are always the quickest ways to make friends. There is also volunteer work

So what kind of work you doing there?

Originally Posted by martyn1324 (Post 10399388)
Sadly I am not much of a sporty person, not in this sense anyhow. I like to walk and cycle and things like that but I have never been one for teams games. Thanks for the tip though.

Collie Nov 24th 2012 8:26 pm

We're in Picton - 75 km is a bit far for a casual beer, but hit us up for coffee etc if you're in this area! I expect you'll be visiting Sandbanks at some stage in the summer... :D I hope you're settling in well. Colin & Wes

martyn1324 Nov 29th 2012 1:46 am

Originally Posted by ultrarunner (Post 10399509)
So what you are trying to say is, you work better alone? :rofl:

Hobbies (outdoor activities or indoor) are always the quickest ways to make friends. There is also volunteer work

So what kind of work you doing there?

So right now I am working as a computer technician. Its ok for now.

Yeah well I am an outdoors sort of person. I am looking forward to doing some skiing once the snow comes. Are there any clubs or groups around here? Where would the closest resorts be? I was told that there is skiing around Ottawa.

martyn1324 Nov 29th 2012 1:47 am

Originally Posted by Collie (Post 10399577)
We're in Picton - 75 km is a bit far for a casual beer, but hit us up for coffee etc if you're in this area! I expect you'll be visiting Sandbanks at some stage in the summer... :D I hope you're settling in well. Colin & Wes

Picton, I just looked it up. It looks like a nice place. I may take you up on that coffee some day but it is a little far for me right now. I have no wheels, not even a bike, first time in years. It feels king of weird.

Cdnshaz Dec 1st 2012 1:15 am

We were past Kingston today, about an hour from there, if you go near Belleville let us know, maybe we can meet for cuppa around there. We only go that way for Dr appt and passing thru when we go to Watertown for a days US shopping (as we did today) Welcome to the area!

misplacedheidi Dec 1st 2012 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by martyn1324 (Post 10406798)
So right now I am working as a computer technician. Its ok for now.

Yeah well I am an outdoors sort of person. I am looking forward to doing some skiing once the snow comes. Are there any clubs or groups around here? Where would the closest resorts be? I was told that there is skiing around Ottawa.

Calabogie is not far - google it. They do bus trips to the resort from SEPPS shop in town (Kingston) in the season. Easily doable. It's reasonable though not the Alps of course.
Batawa has a ski hill - 2 runs and that's it - but is easily accessible of the 401 on the way to TO, just past Trenton. Very small and quite busy.

Other than that, NY state.

Bound to be groups I'd have thought.

Partially discharged Dec 1st 2012 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by misplacedheidi (Post 10411229)
Calabogie is not far - google it. They do bus trips to the resort from SEPPS shop in town (Kingston) in the season. Easily doable. It's reasonable though not the Alps of course.
Batawa has a ski hill - 2 runs and that's it - but is easily accessible of the 401 on the way to TO, just past Trenton. Very small and quite busy.

Other than that, NY state.

Bound to be groups I'd have thought.

If I was in Kingston and wanted to go skiing, and had a car, and no issues with crossing to New York state I'd head to Lake Placid or this place which is in quite the snow belt. http://snowridge.com/